R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #241
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

We have grouped all of our current Ballistic replacement wound stators into 4 separate listings: Racing, Spec, Crawling and Specialty.

Ballistic Motor Accessories
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #242
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
We have grouped all of our current Ballistic replacement wound stators into 4 separate listings: Racing, Spec, Crawling and Specialty.

Ballistic Motor Accessories
looking at the accessory page they show a ceramic bearing that will fit the front of the motor. Are the front and rear bearings the same size in the motor. if not what size bearings go in the rear? do they sell like a ceramic bearing kit with the front and rear bearings if not why not?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #243
Tech Regular

Can I remove the the sensor wire that came with my ballistic 13.5 and replace it with a shorter one from LRP. Also will it damage the motor if I run the timing at less than zero.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #244
The Evicerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro neil View Post
looking at the accessory page they show a ceramic bearing that will fit the front of the motor. Are the front and rear bearings the same size in the motor. if not what size bearings go in the rear? do they sell like a ceramic bearing kit with the front and rear bearings if not why not?
The rear bearings should be 3/8" x 1/8". Part number 5935

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAT OUT View Post
Can I remove the the sensor wire that came with my ballistic 13.5 and replace it with a shorter one from LRP. Also will it damage the motor if I run the timing at less than zero.
Yes you can run another brand sensor wire if you wish.

It is doubtful that damage would occur if you run the timing at less than zero...but performance will probably be less than what you would expect.

Please note, the stock timing lined up with the N is not Zero. That is 30 degrees of timing, with each mark being 5 degrees.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #245
Tech Apprentice

This motor looks perfect. I have a need for 10.5, 13.5, and 17.5. Maybe even mod in the future. I thought I was going to have to buy 3-5 motors. Looks like with this I can buy two (for convenience) and a few extra stators at $45/ea. Not to mention they are completely rebuildable, so later I'm only in for another stator when I kill one, not the whole can. Nice...
liquiddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #246
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiddog View Post
This motor looks perfect. I have a need for 10.5, 13.5, and 17.5. Maybe even mod in the future. I thought I was going to have to buy 3-5 motors. Looks like with this I can buy two (for convenience) and a few extra stators at $45/ea. Not to mention they are completely rebuildable, so later I'm only in for another stator when I kill one, not the whole can. Nice...
That was the deciding factor for me too... I am still learning the ropes, but will move up to SuperStock (10.5) when talent permits.

I am thoroughly impressed with my Ballistic 13.5 so far, and it will only cost me another 30 to move up to the next level

Titanium Racing (Team TR Driver) / Tekin RS Pro / Novak Ballistic 13.5t / Spektrum

www.titaniumracing.com
amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #247
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiddog View Post
I would also suggest putting together some extra parts for a "race day" motor.

I use one motor can and rotor to run all my stators (7.5, 13.5, 17.5) and my good can + 1300+ rotors + low resistance stators for race day only. That way I can get gearing just about right with my practice stuff, stick in the "race day" motor and then not worry about submitting it to excess heat.

Currently my race day motor can handle one more tooth then my practice motor without generating additional heat... Nice and fast!
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #248
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

I had a strange occurrence at the track today.

ran the ballistic 17.5 on its lowest timing setting. Not at the first notch, which is 15 timing, but I had it what I thought was 0, around the end of the sticker. Temped at 200f

put it back up to N = 30, and tempted normal at 140f.

How can a motor with 30 timing run cooler than 0 timing?
I'm gobsmacked
BTW ESC had no timing advance selected.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #249
Company Representative

We have a Technical Update (PDF) on our website:

Ballistic Motor Timing
Old 12-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #250
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
I had a strange occurrence at the track today.

ran the ballistic 17.5 on its lowest timing setting. Not at the first notch, which is 15 timing, but I had it what I thought was 0, around the end of the sticker. Temped at 200f

put it back up to N = 30, and tempted normal at 140f.

How can a motor with 30 timing run cooler than 0 timing?
I'm gobsmacked
BTW ESC had no timing advance selected.
Quote:
We have a Technical Update (PDF) on our website:

Ballistic Motor Timing
ok novak recommends NOT to have 0 timing. Understood now

another question, but I think I know the answer.

on the ss series motors, is minimum timing actually 30, and max timing 45?
Old 12-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #251
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
ok novak recommends NOT to have 0 timing. Understood now

another question, but I think I know the answer.

on the ss series motors, is minimum timing actually 30, and max timing 45?
On the SS Pros (and Velocities) the factory pre-set is 30 degrees, just as the Ballistics. We believe this is optimal timing for our motor designs Our earlier motors were not designed to encourage changing the timing.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #252
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Anyone have any experience with the 3.5 wound stator? I purchased the Havoc Pro with 17.5 Ballistic for stock racing but was looking at added another stator to my inventory for speed runs. I would like to go balls out but don't want to run the risk of frying my ESC. Thoughts?
phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #253
Tech Elite

Quote:
On the SS Pros (and Velocities) the factory pre-set is 30 degrees, just as the Ballistics. We believe this is optimal timing for our motor designs Our earlier motors were not designed to encourage changing the timing.
I remember adjusting a fella's novak ss-pro's once as he didnt know it could be adjusted It was at maximum timing, and he never touched it. So is the maximum timing available on the ss-pro series 30?

And what is the minimum timing?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #254
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
No wonder I can't find anything to twist around for my GTB 4.5T motor from rear end.
Toh WL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:58 AM   #255
Tech Adept

So to clarify the timing settings on the ballistic only range between the sticker secion and not any further ???
Burney is offline   Reply With Quote