R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #226
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

The timing sticker came off of one of my ballistic motors. Do I have to send it in to have another one put on?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #227
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
The timing sticker came off of one of my ballistic motors. Do I have to send it in to have another one put on?

If you want us to re-time it and replace the sticker, you can return it.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #228
Company Representative

Default TeamNovak's "Build-A-Ballistic" Program

Next week we will introduce our new "Build-A-Ballistic" program to our store. This program allows customers to completely customize a Ballistic motor from the factory and have us assemble it for them.

The components that can be selected are:

~ wound Stator (16 choices)
~ bearings (ceramic or stainless steel)
~ rotor (3 choices)
~ input harness (3 lengths)
~ motor sleeve (5 choices)
~ +1300 graded rotors (NYA)

When we get the program on-line I will post a link. We also plan to offer customized motors to racers who wish to purchase Ballistics in quantity. Some international customers and tracks may run different winds---9.5 or 11.5.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #229
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

what do people normally run there timing at
cyclone x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #230
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

So after reading on the Novak website about the timing on the motor. It is set to 30 degrees even if the sticker we assume is zero? This is very interesting why would 30 degrees advance be a good thing?
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #231
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
So after reading on the Novak website about the timing on the motor. It is set to 30 degrees even if the sticker we assume is zero? This is very interesting why would 30 degrees advance be a good thing?
The sticker is placed after the timing is set; it has an N, not zero. It is the optimized timing degrees our designers have chosen for the pre-set. For Novak designed motors.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #232
Tech Adept

I bought a ballistic 13.5 last week to use in my Photon.

On Friday night I qualified 2nd in the B final (with THREE 10.5 cars) and finished first by FOUR LAPS !!!

Admittedly they were fairly inexperienced drivers, but the ballistic does exactly what it says on the tin
I was a clear second a lap faster than the others.

Thank you Novak

Titanium Racing (Team TR Driver) / Tekin RS Pro / Novak Ballistic 13.5t / Spektrum

www.titaniumracing.com
amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #233
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
The sticker is placed after the timing is set; it has an N, not zero. It is the optimized timing degrees our designers have chosen for the pre-set. For Novak designed motors.
Is the 30 degree N (can also be perceived as neutral) set for Novak non timing advance speedo's like the GTB and Havok series? Makes sense as these speedo's are at a slight disadvantage to some of the timing advance systems.

I like some of the design features of my Ballistic 13.5 that I have. The silicon rubber sensor cover sucks to remove the sensor wire from the motor. So removed mine.

Just trying to understand the timing settings. I guess I was a little irritated that the stock setting is 30 degree advance and the instructions in the package does not divulge this. This is a good way to blow a motor.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #234
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
Is the 30 degree N (can also be perceived as neutral) set for Novak non timing advance speedo's like the GTB and Havok series? Makes sense as these speedo's are at a slight disadvantage to some of the timing advance systems.

I like some of the design features of my Ballistic 13.5 that I have. The silicon rubber sensor cover sucks to remove the sensor wire from the motor. So removed mine.

Just trying to understand the timing settings. I guess I was a little irritated that the stock setting is 30 degree advance and the instructions in the package does not divulge this. This is a good way to blow a motor.
30 degrees has always been the factory pre-set for our motors---nothing new with the Ballistic. The factory pre sets from different motor companies are all different. Novak designed these BL motors and considered the 30 degree timing optimal from the beginning.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #235
Company Representative

Ballistic Motor Timing Information Update

In an effort to answer a number of questions relating to motor timing we have compiled some information to help you better understand static motor timing and its effects with our Ballistic Series of motors.

“How many Degrees of Timing does my Ballistic Motor have?”

Our Ballistic motors come with their timing calibrated and set from the factory. Using custom built and calibrated electronic equipment we set each and every motor to 30 degrees of timing. After Calibration the timing label is added and this set timing corresponds to the “N” on the timing label on the side

Each line on the label denotes a 5 degree change, so the timing available on the motor the label corresponds as follows:

-3 -2 -1 N +1 +2 +3
15 20 25 30 35 40 45

N = 30 (rows do not line up correctly)

SPECIAL NOTE: The timing we are describing is the ACTUAL ELECTRICAL TIMING in the motor, not just some arbitrarily reference made from a point on the outside of the motor like many of our competitors' motors. This makes comparing timing settings between different brands of motors difficult without the proper equipment.

“What Does Timing Adjustment do?”

We set our timing at an optimized point for most general applications. Adjusting the timing should only be done in small increments and with great care to observe the changes in system performance and temperatures.

WE RECOMMEND THAT YOUR SYSTEM’S TEMPERATURE NEVER EXCEED 160 DEGREES FARENHEIGHT.

When adjusting the timing, we recommend adjusting the timing, at most, 1 notch, or 5 degrees at a time.

When you turn the timing up to a more positive number (from N to +1) your motor will produce more no-load RPM and generally suffer a slight reduction in torque. To combat excessive heating brought about the loss of torque we recommend gearing down 1 tooth on the pinion for each notch (5 degree increment).

When turning the timing down, to a more negative number (from N to -1) your motor will produce less no-load RPM and generally experience an increase in torque. To combat a loss of top end speed brought about by the loss of RPM we recommend gearing up 1 tooth on the pinion for each notch (5 degree increment).

Ballistic Timing Questions, Part 2

“How do I set my Ballistic to zero degrees of timing?”

The factory timing for the Ballistic is 30 degrees of timing and corresponds to the N on the timing label on the back of the motor.

We do not recommend running zero degrees of timing for most applications and would recommend running at least 5 degrees of timing to ensure proper operation of the motor.

NOTE: When running your timing lower than the pre-set factory 30 degrees your reversing function of your Novak ESC may not work properly as it accounts for this 30 degrees of timing in its commutation sequence.

To adjust the motor to this lower 5 degree timing setting:

1. Loosen the three 1.5 mm hex head screws on the back timing cap of the motor

2. Turn the end-cap clockwise until the stationary notch on the endbell lines up with the edge of the label as demonstrated in the picture below.

[Photos will appear on web-site when we add this update]

3. Re-tighten the three 1.5 mm hex head screws in a circular pattern to ensure that they are all tightened evenly.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #236
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
30 degrees has always been the factory pre-set for our motors---nothing new with the Ballistic. The factory pre sets from different motor companies are all different. Novak designed these BL motors and considered the 30 degree timing optimal from the beginning.
The days of brushed was much easier in the timing game.

It would be nice if ROAR created a fixed timing rule so we do not have all of these different presets from the factory's.

So what is the min and max timing on the older SS motors?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #237
Tech Regular

Ive just bought one a 13.5 Ballistic motor for my T2 009. I run on carpet with rubber tyres and I use a speedpassion Gt2 speedo. The track is approx 30metres x 20 metres. Any gearing advise and should I advance the timing on the motor ??
Old 11-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #238
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAT OUT View Post
Ive just bought one a 13.5 Ballistic motor for my T2 009. I run on carpet with rubber tyres and I use a speedpassion Gt2 speedo. The track is approx 30metres x 20 metres. Any gearing advise and should I advance the timing on the motor ??
Gearing questions can be addressed to [email protected].
Old 11-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #239
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default diff

whats the difference between the ss and the ballistic besides price?
jrxsMike03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #240
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrxsMike03 View Post
whats the difference between the ss and the ballistic besides price?
The ability to swap stators to a different number of winds, and timing adjustment...

Also the replacable sensor wire is nice and exits in a much more protected direction than other motors...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote