R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fatbear

There is simply no question that the Tekins are the best speed controllers on the market right now with even better to come very soon. They also have the best factory backup in the business.
JConcepts www.jconcepts.net
Ace Hobby Distributors www.acehobbyaustralia.com
fatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin4444 View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking for a new esc for my touring car. I run stock at an indoor track. these are the escs i was looking at.

LRP SXX TC

Gran Turismo 2.0 Brushless

LRP spx

Is there any better escs out there?

Thanks
Devin
all those esc's you mentioned are good it's just a matter of prefrence. i run a speed passion gt 2.0, novak gtb,lrp shpere tc and the tekin rs pro. believe me they are all good. my prefrence the speed passion. it has the little box you can tune it with. the tekin you need to carry a laptop for fine tuning.the tekin i use factory settings and it's still good. all the pros use the lrp.(because they are sponsored by them.anything free is worth using)
by the way the pro's can use anything and still win
Old 07-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run the SPX and really like it. Easy to program no software to deal with.
Tiger72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
I'm driving faster than a SPX on the straight and the infield.
It's a Tekin and not a Telkin
The Tekin is with the new software way faster than the SPX.
I overtake them on the straight.
come up to groningen and we will show you how fast we are with the SPX and GM's

ooh and LRP's customer service is the best !!!! 25 years guarantee !!
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:25 AM   #20
Tech Adept

I run a tekin pro and love it . The upgrades are great but you do need a laptop for fine tuning but i alot of racers use a laptop for race timing etc.

2 guys i race with run the LRP and they fly, it comes down to personal preference, cost and size normally are the contributers to making a decision
FERAL Batteries
Kingy 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Such a question was bound for controversy. It is clear that on a forum like this where most contributors are anglo saxon the manufacturers in their sphere of influence are going to come up on top. Service and customer support aside though, I think there's a number of speedos on the market right now with rightful claims to the top spot and some of these have already been mentioned. One that doesn't appear yet is the Keyence Tachyon which I don't have personal experience with but news is good and based on their expertise and past performance I think it has all the makings to lay claim to a top seat. Downside is that it is not marketed outside Japan (or very little) so you're prtty much on your own with it.

That being said, the GM120 is in the same basket outside Europe and the german speaking world. Which is a pity because I think (again based on using their brushed speedos of the past like the V12xc etc) theirs is a top product as well.

To a lesser extent, LRP is again a great speedo and becasue of the more aggressive market approach has a wider spread in the R/C community.

Which brings us to the Tekin. This is so well supported in our english speaking world and factory service is so good it has won a huge fan base and this is a credit to the manufacturer. The approach of releasing software upgrades every so often might put some off for having to be on the forum and keep up with the news all the time, but if you don't mind that, then it's difficult to fault it.

The other companies have taken the opposite approach of releasing speedos which don't depend so much on firmware upgrades but come with a lot of well and truly tested parameter curves you can choose form without worrying about the latest software release.

I don't think eithr way is inherently good or bad, just a matter of taste.

On top of that all the above speedos allow user defined parameters/profiles to be stored and used so if you want to go ahead and create your own you can do it.

I think the discussion is inevitably going to reach this point where everybody supports whatever they have and this is in turn dependent on where they live therefore we're going to end up with a forum member country based census rather than a conclusion on what is the best speedo.

My personal take on this is to not put my eggs in one basket and I have the Tekin system and the LRP system in my cars and am happy with both. I wish I had the money (and the reason) to buy the GM and the Keyence as well, but at the moment this is just not feasible (or necessary).

The upshot is that you can't go wrong with any of these speedos, so just get whatever you like and take it form there.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by boybawang View Post
whats wrong with the novak gtb?
gtb is reliable esc. it WAS good at that time. but today IMO it is slow compared to the other.

for the best esc, i agree with niznai, you cant go wrong with any of those esc. just pick one that has good support at your local track.
krat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:30 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxrocket View Post
The Tekin RS Pro is a really easy ESC to program, and it's upgradeable. But the fastes guys are running LRP Sphere Comp ESCs with Trinity Duos.
Eh what's the diff between tekin fx and rs? i run brushed motors
Old 07-21-2009, 01:37 AM   #24
Tech Elite

The seperating factor is dependant on what class you are running.
In stock Tekin is definately up there with the SPX etc...
For mod the esc is not as critical a factor and all if not most run very well.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:38 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arahawak View Post
Eh what's the diff between tekin fx and rs? i run brushed motors
FX is for brushed and RS for brushless.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:15 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
FX is for brushed and RS for brushless.
You can run a brushed on an rs too???
FERAL Batteries
Kingy 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:39 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

of the ESC's you list, SPX for TC. if you are willing to add tekin to the list, then RS Pro.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:34 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr fit View Post

all those esc's you mentioned are good it's just a matter of prefrence. i run a speed passion gt 2.0, novak gtb,lrp shpere tc and the tekin rs pro. believe me they are all good. my prefrence the speed passion. it has the little box you can tune it with. the tekin you need to carry a laptop for fine tuning.the tekin i use factory settings and it's still good. all the pros use the lrp.(because they are sponsored by them.anything free is worth using)
by the way the pro's can use anything and still win
me to still prefere SP GT .. easy tune at any track any time with the program card box ..
Old 07-21-2009, 03:37 AM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drperry Send a message via MSN to drperry Send a message via Yahoo to drperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingy 07 View Post
You can run a brushed on an rs too???
Yes, the RS and RS Pro can run brushed motors as well.
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:45 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Such a question was bound for controversy. It is clear that on a forum like this where most contributors are anglo saxon the manufacturers in their sphere of influence are going to come up on top. Service and customer support aside though, I think there's a number of speedos on the market right now with rightful claims to the top spot and some of these have already been mentioned. One that doesn't appear yet is the Keyence Tachyon which I don't have personal experience with but news is good and based on their expertise and past performance I think it has all the makings to lay claim to a top seat. Downside is that it is not marketed outside Japan (or very little) so you're prtty much on your own with it.

That being said, the GM120 is in the same basket outside Europe and the german speaking world. Which is a pity because I think (again based on using their brushed speedos of the past like the V12xc etc) theirs is a top product as well.

To a lesser extent, LRP is again a great speedo and becasue of the more aggressive market approach has a wider spread in the R/C community.

Which brings us to the Tekin. This is so well supported in our english speaking world and factory service is so good it has won a huge fan base and this is a credit to the manufacturer. The approach of releasing software upgrades every so often might put some off for having to be on the forum and keep up with the news all the time, but if you don't mind that, then it's difficult to fault it.

The other companies have taken the opposite approach of releasing speedos which don't depend so much on firmware upgrades but come with a lot of well and truly tested parameter curves you can choose form without worrying about the latest software release.

I don't think eithr way is inherently good or bad, just a matter of taste.

On top of that all the above speedos allow user defined parameters/profiles to be stored and used so if you want to go ahead and create your own you can do it.

I think the discussion is inevitably going to reach this point where everybody supports whatever they have and this is in turn dependent on where they live therefore we're going to end up with a forum member country based census rather than a conclusion on what is the best speedo.

My personal take on this is to not put my eggs in one basket and I have the Tekin system and the LRP system in my cars and am happy with both. I wish I had the money (and the reason) to buy the GM and the Keyence as well, but at the moment this is just not feasible (or necessary).

The upshot is that you can't go wrong with any of these speedos, so just get whatever you like and take it form there.
Very well written dude, I'm impressed. and Tekin get's my vote, nothing beats an innovative manufacturer that actually takes the time to speak and listen to their clients. +1,000,000,000

Last edited by vazzo; 07-21-2009 at 06:21 AM.
vazzo is offline   Reply With Quote