R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #1171
Tech Adept

where can i get the new software. 185 stock?
TEAM DRIVER FOR MMR FLUX
millbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:50 AM   #1172
Tech Adept

Default Broken switch

I have mounted my Xerun 120A in my new TT SB5 bike and managed to crash it badly. After picking up the... pieces, I realized the metal cap on the switch had flown away. I picked it up, snapped it back into place, but the ESC won't turn itself on...

So, may I ask, is there a switch available as a spare part, or can I use another switch with a button, like the one from Losi Xcelorin, which is plugged on the ESC. I happen to have a spare one, so I could just cut the cables outside the ESC case and solder the new switch on it... Sounds like a good idea or what?!

PS: I will also need to order a front wheel, front tire, front disk brake... don't ask! LOL

KP-Designs KP10e 1/5 rc bike, Kyosho Lazer ZX-5, HPI Baja SS, Xray T1 FK05, Venom GPV1 1/8 rc bike, Anderson M5 Cross 1/5 rc bike, TT SB-5 1/5 rc bike
steliosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #1173
Tech Adept

Anyone?!

KP-Designs KP10e 1/5 rc bike, Kyosho Lazer ZX-5, HPI Baja SS, Xray T1 FK05, Venom GPV1 1/8 rc bike, Anderson M5 Cross 1/5 rc bike, TT SB-5 1/5 rc bike
Old 01-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #1174
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Bikerbob Send a message via MSN to Bikerbob Send a message via Yahoo to Bikerbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
Anyone?!
If it plugs into the esc on the xerun series then it is available as a spare.. I know I have seen switches on their price list.

Who do you need to contact? not an item I would think the LHS would stock.
Bikerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #1175
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Have you used a multimeter to confirm the switch is the problem?

If so i would use the spare one you have, take apart the speed control case and solder it directly in.... And shorten it while your at it.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #1176
Tech Regular

Any suggestions on settings using 110119 with a sp13.5 v3 please?
guinnes.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #1177
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Humyu Send a message via Skype™ to Humyu
Default Best Motor

Hi, guys just wondering what motor is best for this esc. Need to get me a new motor and don't know what motor suits this esc beside HW motor. Prefer 10.5t and 17.5t class. Any suggestion

thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #1178
Tech Adept

News on the crashed bike!

I cut the cable to the switch about 5cm from the switch and test fitted the Losi switch.
The Losi switch comes with a servo plug, which I cut off and tried to just connect the three cables in the same way: The HW cables are classic Futaba style black/red/white, while the Losi are rather JR (?) brown/red/orange.
I connected them in that order and the ESC would not start... So, I reversed the order to black/red/white connected to orange/red/brown and the ESC fan started! Good!
I did the initial setup, pressing the button on the switch, and the ESC responded with 1,2,3 flashes to the Tx end points...
Good!
Then, I push the throttle, the ESC red led goes on, push brakes, red led on, but the motor doesnt turn... I push the rear wheel a bit and the motor starts!
Good... Stop. Throttle again... nothing... a push, it starts and its linear and at full throttle the led goes green...
I changed the sensor cable with a new one, same reaction. Needs a push, then it starts...
I changed the motor to a Trinity 6.5T, same reaction.
So... finally I'm at a dead end...

Where do I send the ESC to be repaired, then?!

The ESC is a black Xerun 2.0 120A, with a warranty card stating date of production as Dec. 23, 2009. It even has a serial number on a chrome sticker.

I still have to order the broken parts for the bike, so it will stand still for a while, anyway!

Old 01-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #1179
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

I cut the cable to the switch about 5cm from the switch and test fitted the Losi switch.
The Losi switch comes with a servo plug, which I cut off and tried to just connect the three cables in the same way: The HW cables are classic Futaba style black/red/white, while the Losi are rather JR (?) brown/red/orange.
I connected them in that order and the ESC would not start... So, I reversed the order to black/red/white connected to orange/red/brown and the ESC fan started! Good!
I did the initial setup, pressing the button on the switch, and the ESC responded with 1,2,3 flashes to the Tx end points...
Good!
Then, I push the throttle, the ESC red led goes on, push brakes, red led on, but the motor doesnt turn... I push the rear wheel a bit and the motor starts!
Good... Stop. Throttle again... nothing... a push, it starts and its linear and at full throttle the led goes green...
I changed the sensor cable with a new one, same reaction. Needs a push, then it starts...
So... finally I'm at a dead end...

Where do I send the ESC to be repaired, then?!

The ESC is a black Xerun 2.0 120A, with a warranty card stating date of production as Dec. 23, 2009. It even has a serial number on a chrome sticker.

I still have to order the broken parts for the bike, so it will stand still for a while, anyway!
Steliosh I have the switches in stock in the UK if you fancy paying the postage, shouldn't be too expensive and can get you up and running sooner,

www.racersinexile.org.uk
PM me will sort out a cost for you if you are interested
Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 AM   #1180
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Mine does exactly the same when the sensor cable is plugged. I've tested with two motors, changed sensor cables, updated ESC firmware... I suppose that one of the sensor connections in the ESC motherboard is broken, or some component is blowed. At least it still works sensorless
Gusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #1181
Tech Fanatic

Default Brushless Sensor Cases & Caused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusi View Post
Mine does exactly the same when the sensor cable is plugged. I've tested with two motors, changed sensor cables, updated ESC firmware... I suppose that one of the sensor connections in the ESC motherboard is broken, or some component is blowed. At least it still works sensorless

Actually Sensors for that brushless Motor, will never get blown.
There is some important reason
1) Dirt is covering the sensor and scratch till broken or covering and reduce the sensing.
2) Bad Sockets, not any of one of those should be disconnected to make it works.
3) Bad Wiring, as some Sensors wired is just to shot to reduce weight,
and being pulled over time and hit or compressed, might hurt and cut to loose without visible sight, as the straw intact.
4) internal sensors being too far from Magnets, as higher RPM will help it to sense the Magnetic pulse.

Above Case are often seen with Sensored only, SYSTEM.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #1182
Tech Adept

It may be a possible cause... the internally broken sensor in the motor. However, I tried both my motors on my Xerun 60A -in the air, anyway, with no load, and they both worked.

I also tried them on the "broken" ESC without sensor cable, and they made some funny noises, did not run at all, so I just disconnected them....

Old 01-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #1183
Tech Apprentice

Quote:

You're right now, both are not connected in the same way.
Here is how it works, if it can help anybody :

on Xerun ESC :
1 Black
2 Red
3 White

Power comes from 1 and 2 (Red and Black) being linked by the ON/OFF switch when turn it on, and for Setting mode, the button makes a link between 3 (White) and 1 (Black)... and Red once your turn it on.

Losi ESC :
1 Brown
2 Red
3 Yellow

Power comes from 2 and 3 (Red and Yellow)
and Setting mode comes from 1 (Brown) being push and linked with 2 (Red)

Quote:
Good!
Then, I push the throttle, the ESC red led goes on, push brakes, red led on, but the motor doesnt turn... I push the rear wheel a bit and the motor starts
I got that once on another brand of ESC, and it appeared to be a bug in the ESC (what support told me), and they decided to replace the ESC.
Motors were OK on a sensorless ESC, so it should mean that the firmware lost something on the sensored mode, because there was apparently no hardware damage.

There was no possibility of updating the firmware, but on the Xerun, it could work if it's the same problem.

Quote:
The ESC is a black Xerun 2.0 120A, with a warranty card stating date of production as Dec. 23, 2009
I think Hobbywing offer a international 240 days Warranty, starting at the date of production.
Since it makes more, you can only try with your seller, as it can also depends on country law on warranty.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #1184
Tech Adept

hmmmm... now there is something I did not try: updating it with the 2in1 card and the pc!!!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #1185
Tech Adept

Default My good news!

well... even if it's been raining cats and dogs the last couple of days, it's sunshine in my heart!
The ESC works again!
I unglued it from the bike chassis, and on closer examination one of the two capacitor cables was hanging by one thread... I installed a new HW capacitor, the set with 4 caps in line, some transistors below, all wrapped up in transparent heatshrink. I also installed a long original HW sensor cable, but I might revert to the short one I used before, due to space limitations...

Next, I upgraded it to the latest 119mod and voila... the ESC is singing and the motor is dancing... literally...
So, apart from raining, as I said, I need to order a new front wheel for the bike, as well as a front disc brake and we will be back in business, real soon... weather permitting, of course!

The closer examination also revealed that the ESC case is a bit broken here and there, and I could use a new one, indeed... Right now it's being held together with love and some CA drops... It seems the bike crashed real bad after all... I should be more careful with these 70mph-capable motors on a superbike!!!!