R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-19-2010, 02:14 AM   #241
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok View Post
help me, can't decide between the 120A Xerun or a Team Wave RB-50.

Lots of guys at my track are running the HW and a few Tekin RS Pro. THanks guys
Right, if you can afford to buy it and then work out how to set it up then go for the Tekin RS with 203 software it is 'currently' the quickest out there.

I own both Hobbywing and Team Wave speedos, to be honest have not been overly impressed with the wave at all, too many setting and variables which means you end up spending all your time trying to find a sweet spot, also the Turbo comes on like a lightswitch at 95% throttle, personally am not a fan.

Now Hobbywing........currently not quite as quick as the Tekins, but my unit in my car keeps up with the SPX's quite nicely and the RS's only get me 3/4 of the way down the straight. To be honest my car tends to catch the RS guys in the infield but lose it slightly on the straight, but then as discussed earlier I am very conservative with my temperatures, so could get more out of it.

I said 'currently' but rumour has it that there is a new version software that may improve the speedo even more coming from Speed Passion, not too certain now though seeing as Schumacher USA have shut down now.

All in all for the $120 including shipping the Xerun is a winner every time.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:22 AM   #242
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akudou View Post
Team powers sensored motor 11.5. I look around the motor and there doesnt seem to be any adjustment for timing on it. All i see is where i can plug the sensor in. On 107 firmware, i geared it down to 5.01 punch at XII timing at 22 and it is better then my previous setup on the esc but ofcourse hot to the touch. Will the 110 be better than the 107?

As has been discussed before, the 107 can run 15 to 25 degrees hotter than 110, apparently 110 is a bit 'softer' but it's not something I have ever noticed before. On a fairly big permanent indoor carpet track I run 10.5 motor at between 6.2:1 and 6.4:1 think maybe you could be overgearing your motor somewhat at low 5's. I like to set my car up so the point where the car runs out of accelleration is bang on top of the braking zone at the end of the straight, this way you're not wasting energy and heat trying to spool up an overgeared motor. Seems to work for me lol
Old 02-19-2010, 02:22 AM   #243
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOTubed View Post
Yeah you you know I noticed in the pics that you posted your box has silver buttons and the stickers are in different positions than mine which has black buttons and is plastic.

So, I dont mean to sound thick, a box with SP flashed on it will offer you settings for timing that differ from what is on the HW box ie 0,3.75,7.5,11.25 etc etc etc...?
You have the same LCD box as me TBO but i haven't tried flashing it yet, has anyone with the black buttoned box successfully flashed theirs to the SP software? Just wondering before I attempt to do mine as I'd rather not run the risk of bricking it.
gazmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:09 AM   #244
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Howdy all,

My last question may have got lost amongst the on going discussion amount which program... and how to... talk. So please forgive me for repeating myself.

I'm currently running the HW (obviously) with the latest SP flash on it. This is supplying power to a SP V3 17.5T motor. Which is packaged up into Hotbodies TC

Current settings on the speedie are

Drag Brake: 0
DDRS: Level 9
Timing: 22.5

Motor is advanced to 17 on the end bell.

On last my drive of the car I was running 72/35 (FDR 4.46).

I was getting temps around the mid to high 80's I tried gearing the car down, doing this the car wasn't much faster than before I put the SP software on.

Could I please ask so of the gurus on the thread for a bit guidance on esc settings and FDR for the car.

The track is a bit technical track here as some pictures of the track The quickest time set by the tekin shod stock cars are low 23's

Thanks in advance.
eceer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:54 AM   #245
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eceer View Post
Howdy all,

My last question may have got lost amongst the on going discussion amount which program... and how to... talk. So please forgive me for repeating myself.

I'm currently running the HW (obviously) with the latest SP flash on it. This is supplying power to a SP V3 17.5T motor. Which is packaged up into Hotbodies TC

Current settings on the speedie are

On last my drive of the car I was running 72/35 (FDR 4.46).

I was getting temps around the mid to high 80's I tried gearing the car down, doing this the car wasn't much faster than before I put the SP software on.

Could I please ask so of the gurus on the thread for a bit guidance on esc settings and FDR for the car.

The track is a bit technical track here as some pictures of the track The quickest time set by the tekin shod stock cars are low 23's

Thanks in advance.
Is this Celcius I assume so around 180 degrees F then?

Are you running 107 or 110 STOCK software?

Can I make a small suggestion to restart part of the process and return your motor to a lower 'mechanical timing' as the SP v3.0 has a fair amount of timing already built into it. Just for experiments sake drop it to STOCK setting, run the AMTS Timing to 26.25 and drop the DDRS to 6 or 7. Spend some time with that finding the sweet spot on the gearing again. If it is too slow start adding the timing BACK onto the motor again in SMALL increments, but watch for the feel of the car in the infield and obviously the temps. At this point you may need to start dropping the gearing in very small increments to get the right 'feel' as you add the timing back on. Aim for about 150 F as a max point unless you want to run it hotter, but then run the risk of degrading the magnets prematurely.
The reason I would suggest dropping the DDRS is that it can effect how the timing comes on as well as dumping the available power in great big gobs as soon as you mash the throttle, little more progressive may help you out here in the temperature stakes.

Have you also tried dropping the gearing back to the low 5's with all that timing you will be trading a lot of your motors Torque (Power) for Revs (KV) so it may not have the guts to drive the ratio that you are running efficiently. Remember that Brushless motors are at their most efficient (coolest) when at full revs, so the gearing needs to be tailored to allow you to use as many revs as possible while still utilising the available torque.

Remember that on the SPX's and Tekins people are running massive FDR's (into the 7's and 8's) to make use of the available timing and I have found that my particular setup seems to be happier when allowed to spool up more, this also makes the infield punchier and keeps everything quite cool. The only worry I would have is the length of that straight look quite long and you may be only gearing for the straight and not considering the infield, where most of your time is gained or lost.

Lastly and most importantly move your Throttle end point to between 103% and 107% after you have set the tranny up at 100%. Maybe you are not hitting the end of the range and this could be causing heating problems too.

Feel free to refute me anyone am by no measure a guru lol
Old 02-19-2010, 04:25 AM   #246
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks cherry,

I'm pretty certain I'm runnning the 107 profile. I'll have fire up the laptop in the morning and have a look.

I'm all new to this onroad caper so not overly sure I'll know the sweet spot let alone find it any pointers on what to look for in the way car reponse and the like.

Any idea on where I would need to start fdr wise. I'm thinking I may stay at the current 4.4 and see how I go with your timing recommendations.
eceer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:37 AM   #247
Tech Elite

what you need to be careful off is that by advancing motor timing and software timing you would have to reduce your gearing to make up for loss of bottom end rip and gain at the same time the rpm from running so much timing.
personally i prefer dropping esc timing to 18 or 22 deg and then you can gear a bit taller. This setup doesnt sacrifice punch out of corners and the temps stay more stabil.

max timing will only benefit you on a very fast flowing track.
Forgot to add the SP110 software is the one to use.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:41 AM   #248
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eceer View Post
Thanks cherry,

I'm pretty certain I'm runnning the 107 profile. I'll have fire up the laptop in the morning and have a look.

I'm all new to this onroad caper so not overly sure I'll know the sweet spot let alone find it any pointers on what to look for in the way car reponse and the like.

Any idea on where I would need to start fdr wise. I'm thinking I may stay at the current 4.4 and see how I go with your timing recommendations.

You're welcome mate, to address some of the heat issues try the 110 Software because it runs considerably cooler than the 107, always worth a try, beauty is you can chop and change as often as you please so just play with it a bit. I think 110 with the lowered DDRS will help out, with the heat, a lot and may even make the car a bit easier to drive too. See over here we only have 10.5 and 13.5 classes, and as there is virtually no difference in the performance between the two it kinda makes it all about the gearing and timing. Personally I would like to see the UK adopt the 17.5's as a '27T' replacement, but that aint never gonna happen lol.

If you can drop the heat a little you may find that the motor soes not go as 'soft' as quickly too, as heat causes all sorts of issues. Think fading brakes on a full size car when the pads and disks heat up, for a comparison.

Cheers

Last edited by cherry2blost; 02-19-2010 at 07:45 AM.
cherry2blost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #249
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazmond View Post
You have the same LCD box as me TBO but i haven't tried flashing it yet, has anyone with the black buttoned box successfully flashed theirs to the SP software? Just wondering before I attempt to do mine as I'd rather not run the risk of bricking it.

Gazmond
I was able to try to flash my plastic LCD program box to SP V 1.02 this morning. It took 2 tries. The first try just lit up all the segments on the top line on the display and the dialog box popped up and said” communication failure”. The second try successfully loaded.

I then tried to change it back to HW and the same sequence had to take place as described above and it loaded.

Then back to SP with the same sequence.

I wonder if the SP guys that tried to flash the HW (and reported that their boxes were trashed) just need to do the same procedure.

Just curious, can anybody with a metal LCD program box tell me the version number on the underside of the printed circuit board in their box. I never saw one so I don’t know how it constructed, but by no means am I suggesting that that anyone do it unless you want to and it is easy. I opened up my plastic box (which I don’t recommend unless you are confident you are able to do it successfully, besides I already did it so you don’t have to.) and printed in white is V1.4
Thanks for you help
Joe

Last edited by TBOTubed; 02-20-2010 at 03:56 AM. Reason: V1.02 not V1.04
TBOTubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #250
Tech Initiate

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!! I will give it a try tomorrow.
gazmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #251
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry2blost View Post

I own both Hobbywing and Team Wave speedos, to be honest have not been overly impressed with the wave at all, too many setting and variables which means you end up spending all your time trying to find a sweet spot, also the Turbo comes on like a lightswitch at 95% throttle, personally am not a fan.

I said 'currently' but rumour has it that there is a new version software that may improve the speedo even more coming from Speed Passion, not too certain now though seeing as Schumacher USA have shut down now.

All in all for the $120 including shipping the Xerun is a winner every time.
The exact answer I was hoping for, I can't thank you enough.

Seems like I'm leaning towards the HobbyWing now, read some stuff in the TW thread about the RB-50 can't kick into turbo due to FDR/combo bla bla bla. TW fans are requesting for a new firmware update to have a variable turbo kick-in point, but seeing as how it's turning out probably they'll launch a new top-range ESC which is an all out version of the RB-S, completely abandoning the RB-50. I dunno, just speculating
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #252
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tried the 107 firmware with 11.5t against SP Feigao Linear equipped with V3.0 11.5t running the same FDR of 5.01 and on the straight, the 107 pulled away with ease. Tried it head on with the likes of sxx running 9.5t and 107 still manage to keep up. Overall am impress with the firmware but also worried about the heat. Was thinking of getting the Tekin Rs pro but am thinking twice now..
Akudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #253
Tech Elite

change to the 110 firmware and temps will be cooler.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:10 AM   #254
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOTubed View Post
Gazmond
I was able to try to flash my plastic LCD program box to SP V 1.04 this morning. It took 2 tries. The first try just lit up all the segments on the top line on the display and the dialog box popped up and saidĒ communication failureĒ. The second try successfully loaded.

I then tried to change it back to HW and the same sequence had to take place as described above and it loaded.

Then back to SP with the same sequence.

I wonder if the SP guys that tried to flash the HW (and reported that their boxes were trashed) just need to do the same procedure.

Just curious, can anybody with a metal LCD program box tell me the version number on the underside of the printed circuit board in their box. I never saw one so I donít know how it constructed, but by no means am I suggesting that that anyone do it unless you want to and it is easy. I opened up my plastic box (which I donít recommend unless you are confident you are able to do it successfully, besides I already did it so you donít have to.) and printed in white is V1.4
Thanks for you help
Joe
I am curious where you found version 1.04. I have v1.02 on my LCD box and there is no new software on the speedpassion website..
TLR 22 2.0
"ELECTRIFIED TO THE HILT"
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #255
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok View Post
The exact answer I was hoping for, I can't thank you enough.

Seems like I'm leaning towards the HobbyWing now, read some stuff in the TW thread about the RB-50 can't kick into turbo due to FDR/combo bla bla bla. TW fans are requesting for a new firmware update to have a variable turbo kick-in point, but seeing as how it's turning out probably they'll launch a new top-range ESC which is an all out version of the RB-S, completely abandoning the RB-50. I dunno, just speculating
I have an RB30, never been run it was put in a car and then pulled out, has been soldered to a motor and lost the paint from the underside due to being servo taped in, if you're interested make me an offer is less than a month old. I have enough speedo's and have a couple of interesting prototypes coming in from China fairly soon anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akudou View Post
Tried the 107 firmware with 11.5t against SP Feigao Linear equipped with V3.0 11.5t running the same FDR of 5.01 and on the straight, the 107 pulled away with ease. Tried it head on with the likes of sxx running 9.5t and 107 still manage to keep up. Overall am impress with the firmware but also worried about the heat. Was thinking of getting the Tekin Rs pro but am thinking twice now..
On wide open tracks get the tekin, but as you have already paid for your HobbyWing keep using it the software has some way to go yet lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
change to the 110 firmware and temps will be cooler.
+1 or drop the DDRS a little helps with temps massively if you are a little heavy fingered on the throttle like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiantii View Post
I am curious where you found version 1.04. I have v1.02 on my LCD box and there is no new software on the speedpassion website..
+1 I think you may be seeing the Hardware version.