R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #196
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Run View Post
cherry this sounds to me (what the SP guy PM to you) more like a threat than a warning not to use their software.I don't think we have to worry about.
Well I hope not.

Last edited by cherry2blost; 02-09-2010 at 02:57 PM.
cherry2blost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #197
Tech Initiate

Odd (and I'm not questioning it's authenticity) that he basically admits that Speed Passion stuff is the same as HW, then calls it Hobbywing crap lol.

Sounds like he also know he'd get quoted so is towing the company line and trying his best to put distance between the HW and SP stuff, hey ho, my 60A is great and at half the price of the SP equivalent it was worth the wait to ship it in from Hong Kong. I suppose it was inevitable that SP would do this though and I would imagine threads like this have cost them a fortune
gazmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #198
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I appreciate you keeping my "private" messages "private" cherry

Talk about classy lmao

Last edited by abailey21; 02-09-2010 at 02:59 PM.
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #199
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
I appreciate you keeping my "private" messages "private" cherry

Talk about classy lmao
Banned for having an opinion. Oh well seems free speech is dead after all.

If I am getting bans anyway may as well go right back and post the screenshot.........may post it in a few 'other' places too... think there are quite a few forums dotted around the world that don't seem to feel the need to censor free speech.......................

The thing that makes me laugh is this reminds me of another person who called his merchandise 'crap' Gerald Ratner look it up will make you chuckle.

"Gerald Irving Ratner (born 1949, London), is a British businessman. He was formerly chief executive of the major British jewellery company Ratners Group (now the Signet Group). He achieved notoriety after making a speech in which he jokingly denigrated the company's products, which caused the company's near collapse."

We also do cut-glass sherry decanters complete with six glasses on a silver-plated tray that your butler can serve you drinks on, all for 4.95. People say, "How can you sell this for such a low price?", I say, "because it's total crap". ”

He compounded this by going on to remark that some of the earrings were "cheaper than an M&S prawn sandwich but probably wouldn't last as long". After the speech, the value of the Ratners' group plummeted by around 500 million, which very nearly resulted in the firm's collapse.[2]

Today, Ratner's speech is still famous in the corporate world as an example of the value of branding and image over quality. Such gaffes are now sometimes called "Doing a Ratner", and Ratner himself has acquired the soubriquet "The Sultan of Bling". Ratner has said in his defence that it was a private function which he did not expect to be reported, and that his remarks were not meant to be taken seriously.

ROFL

Last edited by cherry2blost; 02-09-2010 at 05:24 PM.
cherry2blost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #200
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

edit
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #201
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nikos2002

You guys ever run the 120a or the 60a without the capacitor? I am running a 13.5 in 2wd off-road, so it's not a large strain on the esc - just curious if you felt any effects. I know brushed novaks used to act funny is you took off the capacitors.

Thanks for the info

Nick
Sponsored By: Spektrum RC, Horizon Hobby, TLR, Maclan Racing, J Concepts
nikos2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #202
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos2002 View Post
You guys ever run the 120a or the 60a without the capacitor? I am running a 13.5 in 2wd off-road, so it's not a large strain on the esc - just curious if you felt any effects. I know brushed novaks used to act funny is you took off the capacitors.

Thanks for the info

Nick
I wouldn't mate, they tend to put these things on for a reason, the 60a only has a tiny 2 capacitor unit and I have had it in the smallest of cars, quite often servo taped it to the chassis of the ESC too.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #203
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos2002 View Post

Thanks for the info

Nick
it will run but less efficient than if you where using the capacitor.
Put the cap on and it will be smoother and run cooler.
You would have had hassles if you where running a faster motor or in a 4wd vehicle.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:45 AM   #204
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Hey guys. I'm new to RC racing and just got myself a Xerun 60a sensored ESC for 13.5t short course offroad racing. I have owned a Ezrun 9t/35a combo for drift the past year so I know how to program them all and stuff, but after coming across this thread in my reserach, can someone explain to me what all the talk about 'firmware' is about. There is V1.5 of this and V2.5 of this, basically can someone give me the rundown of all this programming stuff, which I assume is downloaded via USB from a website?

Cheers in advance.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:15 AM   #205
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post
Hey guys. I'm new to RC racing and just got myself a Xerun 60a sensored ESC for 13.5t short course offroad racing. I have owned a Ezrun 9t/35a combo for drift the past year so I know how to program them all and stuff, but after coming across this thread in my reserach, can someone explain to me what all the talk about 'firmware' is about. There is V1.5 of this and V2.5 of this, basically can someone give me the rundown of all this programming stuff, which I assume is downloaded via USB from a website?

Cheers in advance.
Here is some info, first you need to buy the LCD programming card, ebay has loads just search for "xerun" next do the following.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry2blost View Post
Hi Just thought I would let you know how helpful I have found this thread, have updated my HW LCD Unit to 1.32 and my 120SD to the 110 software and oh boy it is awesome, there is a defined step in the throttle as it hits max revs and as such it sounds (and goes) like an SPX have it on a largish carpet track (Maritime in Kent) and have set the gearing on Phantom Ion Pro 10.5 at 6.29 FDR down from 5.26 on standard software and this thing keeps spooling up, may have to consider dropping the FDR towards 7.0 as judging by current (outdoor) testing the motor is still accellerating at the braking zone. Thanks HW /KG / SP whoever for the great software.

Basically all I have done is Flash the LCD Programmer with the Speed Passion Ver 1.32 Software, funnily enough, as soon as you do this the start up welcome screen on the programmer then reads Speed Passion V1.02??

Using the 1.32 software has opened up the latest "Stock" profiles which show up there. Having run the car with the NEW 110 Speedpassion Software installed on the Exerun 120A SD, I have now got a car that is able to keep up with the SPX's against whom we run. This is a radical piece of software and introduces a two stage profile which acts very much like an SPX Turbo feature. The Car has mountains of 'Rip' out of corners and just keeps spooling up as you hit full throttle. I have been unable to top the car out yet on a fairly large tarmac area that I use for testing purposes. However it is ONLY advised for motors ABOVE 9.5T ie 10.5, 13.5, 17.5 etc.
Remeber though that you do this at your own risk, to me it was worth the chance of Bricking an ESC to gain the benefits of a hugely more expensive model.

As stated elsewhere upon opening up the software profiles on the PC interface gives us a Hardware model HW427_01, when you look at the Speed Passion website there are info videos on how to set up the programming if you look carefully in the video at the Hardware version of the SP ESC they are working on then you will see HW427_01. Now I am not big on conspiracies but on my friends original SP GT it actually says "Speed Passion by Hobbywing".

It is my understanding that King Gold have exclusive distro rights outside of China but that HW sell under their own name in China, that is why we are able to buy from HK shops with impunity.

My buddy just bought a new Blue Exerun 120 SD for 70 inc shipping to the UK and this mystifies me because an SP GT2 Pro in the UK is close to 180. Call me old fashioned but that 110 is better in my pocket than in a Distributors.

If anybody wants the software I have the required stuff and if you fell like PM'ing me I will post it to some hosting so as to be able to download.

Happy Hobbywinging.
there you go !!! The software is the Speed Passion GT2.0 that I use and the links for that are here...

Download speedpassion_USB_link_setup.exe from FileFactory.com

hope it all helps.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:45 AM   #206
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Thanks alot for that. That post should be stickied on first page or something like that.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:55 AM   #207
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post
Thanks alot for that. That post should be stickied on first page or something like that.
You're welcome that's what we are here for, I run a Fantom Ion Pro 10.5 (not Ion 2) with 10 degrees of 'mechanical' timing on the motor and the car is about right for my driving abilities. Temps are done in a non technical manner, if I can pick the car up after a run by holding the motor then it's not too hot lol, I am tempted with more timing on the motor but so far have not needed to add any more. I gear it at Maritime raceway in Kent to around 6.4 FDR and it is just right. Maybe I can get a little more speed but TBH the heat issues scare the heck out of me and as stated before the car is quick enough at the moment for my skill levels. It is nice to know that I have a little more headroom to play with should I need more speed though. The Speed Passion 110 software runs a lot cooler than the 107 but some people have said that it is a little 'soft' compared to the 107, but considering I am running the DDRS at VI again I have a little more space to play with.

Now if I could fix my 'on power understeer' my car would be so much quicker too.

Feel free to 'sticky' the post as it is hidden back in page 7 of this thread lol.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:04 AM   #208
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads0021 View Post
SP make a big deal of how much better their product is. Can anyone tell me the actual differences?

The way I've been told, Hobbywing make them for SP. Is this true?
yes it's entirely true HW make the ESC for Venom and Speed Passion. Speed Passion are frantically trying to distance themselves from the Xerun's as the cost differentials are so great though.

As far as we can tell the only differences are in the 'engineered' softwares for the Speed Passion Brand, but as can be seen from the post above these can still be retrofitted to the HobbyWing V2.0, giving all the benefits of the Speed Passion at a fraction of the cost to the user. Yes there are scare stories spread about how the Speedo's will be 'bricked' if you use it but (and you do this at own risk) many of us Hobby Wing owners have done so and are using our ESC's successfully.

The main problem seems to be placing the Hobbywing software onto the Speed Passion Prgramming cards as some of these have gone back to be reset after being unable to return to the original software, but the HobbyWing version of the Programming Box have not exhibited (to date) these issues, but considering that they can be picked up from ebay for about $25 why not just have 2 of them, one with SP software and one with HW software, it will still be cheaper than buying ONE SP branded box.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #209
Tech Initiate

In response to the person asking about running without a power cap. With brushless motors the power cap is actually protecting the battery and cutting interference. You really should run with one. The best information I found about the power caps was on the Novak site. Actually they have the best explanations of just about everything!

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/p...power_caps.htm

Ben
Rocking Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #210
Tech Initiate

Howdy Folks,

Couple of questions regarding using the SP software instead of the HW's. Does the SP package auto-update? What I mean is if the propsed changes to the SP software lock out XERUN users from using it in the future are we going to forever have to be wary of any auto-update feature? Coupled with that when you flash to one of the newer profiles is it downloading that from the net or is the profile config contained within the softrware package?

Cheers

Gaz
gazmond is offline   Reply With Quote