R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2004, 09:55 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Zapping Magnets

I was wondering what the effects of zapping motors are for stock and mod racing?

Does 1 zapping process only last 1 run or can it last multiple runs?

I would assume the torque goes up and RPM goes down. What kind of measurement do you expect if using a Guassmeter before zapping and after?

Coop
gcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:10 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

coop,

i wish i had more information to give you, but here's what i've seen.

the few motors that i've zapped have not yeilded any gain in performance, either on the track, or with the voltmeter. it seems that unless you get a crappy batch of motors, or you really run them hot, zapping is just a pain. i do emphasize seems here, as i my comments are very superficial. i do not know how long the effects of zapping the can will last, but i suspect it is longer than one run.

a few of us pitched in to get a zapper, but it doesn't seem to get much use at all. as often as we cut our coms, we run out of armature before we run out of magnet.

many people have commented at some of the big races, that the handout motors improved when the magnets were zapped. people seem to be under the impression that a stronger can will yield better results. i guess i have the same question that you do. what is to be expected from increasing the magnet strength?

the mvp/core motors have ridiculous numbers on the voltmeter when compared to the epic rivals, but, in general, they run poorly and get very hot. of course, there are many other factors that could contribute to this, but why is epic using weaker magnets with better results? and why then, do we insist on zapping to get the best performance?

well, i guess i wasn't any help. now someone needs to come here and answer more questions. but hey, that's what these forums are for right?
Old 01-14-2004, 07:46 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Zapping

Seaball,

I appreciate your observations about zapping. This information will make me proceed with caution which appears most prudent. Very useful info...Many thanks.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:51 AM   #4
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I use to have a magnet zapper. The only motors that I could say tha I say noticable improvement was the Tamiya type silver can motors. Not really sure why the Epic motors run better than the MVP or Orion canned motors but they normally do. The magnets are a better quality in the Orion and MVP motors but normally as Seaball has said just don't seem to run a fast on the track as the Epic. Not to say this is always true but under most instances is true.

I would save your money and spend it on lathes, tires, batteries, or new motors before I would get another zapper. Unless you get a super cheap deal on one for I would say under 100 bucks they buy it. Worst that can happen is you use it and see no improvments. In that case you can sell it for what you paid for it.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:27 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to WVRACER

here is a artical on it with dyno results it seems it for that small little increase you need to get ahead. not for you average club racer not thay i'm saying you are

thanks
rob

http://rcvehicles.about.com/library/mph/blmph_zap01.htm
WVRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:05 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info. I thought it would be a bigger gain than what is is.

Coop
gcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:19 PM   #7
Tech Master

when the cup is full.....
well then it is full..........

can't get better then that.
If you get my drift.
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:24 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The EPIC and Reedy motors both use the FB9 series magnets from TDK. The Epics use a higher power magnet, but its discharge specs are weaker than the Reedy mags, that have slightly less power, but take longer and resist discharge better. Reedys run great, they just need the proper tuning.

Magnets begin to discharge as they got hotter, at which point the ability to resist discharge kicks in. Typically, handout motors aren't zapped at the maker, so they benefit from the zap. If you properly care for your motors, you won't need to zap very often, but it never hurts to make sure they are fully charged. Lots of tracks have zappers now and do it for a small fee.....

Later EddieO
Old 01-15-2004, 12:21 AM   #9
Tech Master

You gain a lot of Eff. when you zap magnets increasing run times and the motor isn't as hot, you also gain torque from the stronger magnets. This effect will not wear off. The thing you lose is a little bit of top end.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:30 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Magnet strength meter

I know a magnet strength meter is available, but is there a cheaper way to check magnet strength without buying one for $80.00.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:35 AM   #11
Tech Elite

I beg to differ that the effect won't wear off......magnets will discharge some over time.....and even quicker if they get hotter. The Epic motors are MUCH more prone to this than the Yokomo or TOP motors, since they use slightly less powerful, but more resistant to discharge magnets.

Later EddieO
Old 01-15-2004, 01:17 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Epic stock motors use very cheap, magnets that do sofen over time, due to heat or hard hits.

The epic mods, reedy mods stocks, and orion mods and stocks, use the high end TDK ceramic, mags. They in most cases cant be made any stronger by zapping them. Even the EA zapper, which is the best one on the market, cant do much to make them better.

But the epic stocks, can be imroved quite a bit by zapping the magnets, the biggest is more punch, and more torque. Because of that, you can get away with softer springs and get more RPM out of the motor at the same time. Will more motor benifit 90% of the stock guys out there? Probably not.

The reasons why the reedy and orion stocks get super hot and eat the brushes, has to do with the arm design. It can be fixed by just narrowing the brushes to decrease brush to comm wrap, they really can move on the track with the right tuning done to them, but so can zapped epic stocks. I guess it just boiles down to whatever motor you know the best is the one you should stick to.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 03:48 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Well Reedy, Epic, and TOP ALL use FB9 series magnets on their stock and mods........Trinity FB6s are just starting to be used on some of the 19t motors and cheaper machine wound mods.

From my understandings after talking with the TDK reps, there isn't much price difference in any of the 3 FB9 type mags(difference is in cents). So where the CHEAP term comes from, I dunno........the FB6 mags aren't really much cheaper either and the specs are very similar. If you go to the TDK website, you can download the specs on ALL of the FB9 series magnets.

ANY magnet can degrade over time, especially if subjected to higher temps.....even the Reedy and Top stocks......I have zapped my Reedy Mods and Stocks with my team 1 zapper and then tested them on the gauss meter, there WAS an increase in pretty much every zap. Some increases are smaller than others......

Reedy stocks get hot because people don't tune them correctly. The most common issue I have seen is that people gear them incorrectly.

Later EddieO
Old 01-16-2004, 04:52 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Eddie, I bought a zapper used that didn't come with instructions. I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly. How long do you zap your motor cans? and do you play around with can orientation inside the electrodes? Which angles produce the most torque? Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by DOTMAN; 01-16-2004 at 06:20 PM.
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:56 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Do you have the team1 zapper? If so, you can get the instructions from their website.

As for any zapper, I just zap them straight on. I've tried the advanced timing zap and it worked like CRAP.....

Be careful though, some motors need to be zapped backwards, as the magnets sit different in the can.

Later EddieO