Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks, Eddie
Old 01-19-2004, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Does anyone here have a motor dyno, and access to a zapper? I would be interested to hear some stats on your personal experience, and see if they jive with that article from above.

I think that I'm going to go ahead and get one anyway, because you never know who actually knows what they're talking about, and who's just trying to make themself sound important like they know a little something that you don't, you know? It's easy to spot these people though, as they present no facts or real measureable observations.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Tech Addict

Default zappers and dyno results

many dynos tend to give more weight to top RPMs as opposed to power. thus, they might say that the 'power' went down with a zap. track experience is the best indicator (but you may have to go up a tooth on the pinion post-zap)
Old 01-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

I own and zapper and dyno. I use the Team1 zapper and have noticed a difference in the motors that I zap. I mainly use Monsters so thats where the numbers come from. On avg when I use the meter to see where the numbers are before I zap them there in the 545-50 range. After I zap them they usually the numbers go up to 550-55. I have noticed a little increase in rpm's but the torque is improved by a good bit. I also have seen some numbers on the Core motor cans recently. There magnets unzapped are 580-85 so I would say that there magnets are alot better in that regard. I just got some of the new binary motors so I'll be checking them out and get back on how they do.

Hope this helps.

RoAdDoG
Team TWA
Old 01-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default That helps some

Have you noticed a difference in the dyno runs on motors before and after zapping the magnets? I guess in order to determine exactly how much if any difference, you would have to dyno a motor, disassemble it, zap the magnets, then reassemble it with the exact same parts in the exact same way. Have you done that? If so, what kind of increase did you see in the torque? How much torque do you gain, and how much power?

Thanks for the input!

FR
Old 01-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

The only time I zap them is if Im cutting and putting in new brushes. So the numbers will be different. I do keep track of the numbers on motors and most go up. I will dyno motors and if there in the low 60`s in power I will cut them and put new brushes in and zap the cans. If I take the numbers on say motor (A), 22,000 rpm, 63 power, .925 torque. I then take it and cut it, zap it, re-shim it, and put new brushes in, It will usually go up to say like 22,500+ rpm 65+ power, .960+ torque etc. This isnt 100% of the time but after rebuilding a ton of motors you get the hang of it. I will usually save the 66-67+ for mains and use the rest to qualify. I have seen 70power ones and ones with 1.0+ torque before but they are few and far between. All in all if you a serious racer that maybe travels to run nats etc or just a rc fanatic I think the zapper is worth it. If you just run at your local track for fun and you dont mind spending the cash go for it, if not maybe try and find someone to zap them for you. You will really see a difference in handout motors. So I guess my cans get zapped around every 3-5 runs give or take.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:22 AM
Tech Adept

I also have a Team1 zapper. If the motor's magnets are weak, then zapping the magnet nearly always helped the performance on the dyno. When the magnets are already strong, zapping does not affect the motor performance on the dyno. The Monster stock motors usually need a zap every 6-8 runs to maintaince every watt of power. Racing stock TC on carpet does place a lot of load on the magnets. Is it worth the cost of the zapper? Probably not. One or two watts of power on the dyno is not something most people can feel on the track.

On a Binary stock, the difference is more noticable. The BS motors have weak magnets from the factory. I think Trinity is cutting them and reassembling the motor without rezapping the magnets, and it is crucial to rezap magnets anytime you remove them or cut them. Anyway, zapping the magnets in the BS improves it by as much as 10 watts on my Robi dyno. Once you initially zap them, they don't need rezapped any more often than a Monster stock. The issue with the BS is simply that they desperately need to get zapped at the factory and Trinity is not doing it.

The bottom line is that zapping magnets only helps if the magnets are not already full. Think of a zapper as a magnet recharger. The more dead the magnets are, then the more zapping will help. The closer to full the magnets are, then the less zapping will help. I usually keep my magnets so close to full that zapping only helps by about one watt on the dyno and that is not significant.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

is team 1 the only maker of a zapper

wvracer
Old 01-22-2004, 09:41 AM
Tech Addict

let's put it this way, there is no reason to buy other than a Team 1 zapper

In regards to the EPIC Binary Stock, I had not even considered zapping one since the magnets are actually alternated in polarity (similar to their mod motor and as opposed to the Reedy Krypton).

By zapping a Binary Stock, I would imagine you would be changing the polarity of two of the (four) magnets, which might not necessarily be a bad thing.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

I really don't want to put it away so if anyone knows of any other manufactures of a zapper please let me know

thanks
wvracer
Old 01-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Eric Anderson also makes a zapper that races use. Im not sure if he has a web page or not.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

thanks i don't know him but if he is on this board have him drop me a pm please

thanks
wvracer
Old 01-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The Trinity guys say to zap the Binary stock like any other stock motor... I zap all my binarys and they all have better numbers than before I zap them... compared to out of the package and broken in ones
Old 01-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by barrys
In regards to the EPIC Binary Stock, I had not even considered zapping one since the magnets are actually alternated in polarity (similar to their mod motor and as opposed to the Reedy Krypton).

By zapping a Binary Stock, I would imagine you would be changing the polarity of two of the (four) magnets, which might not necessarily be a bad thing.

That is not true. Check the polarity yourself and you will see that the polarity does not alternate like that at all. In fact, I don't even think the motor would be able to run like that. Every quad magnet motor I have tested has two positives on one side and two negatives on the other. You can definitely zap quad magnet motors just like regular motors.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by WVRACER
is team 1 the only maker of a zapper

wvracer
There are others. Trinity makes a US$1200 zapper that has rare earth magnets in it instead of relying on AC power. I bought one of those and had to take it back because it was assembled wrong. After that disaster, I bought the Team1 zapper and I could not be more happy with it. The Team1 zapper is absolutely awesome, especially when you order it with the meter and case. It rocks!