Wiki Posts
Search

REMOVING STRIPPED SCREWS

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default REMOVING STRIPPED SCREWS

Guys,Any tips on removing some badly stripped screws on the sedan I just picked up off RCTECH that was advertised as "MINT CONDITION".They are the flat head allen screws that hold the bulkheads to the chassis.The previous owner must of tried using the wrong size wrench.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

two ways.
carefully use a dremel and use the cut off wheel and cut a notch into the screw and remove with a flathead screwdriver. you will risk cutting into the chassis though

my way is remove all other screws holding the bulkhead into the chassis and the turn the bulkhead to loosen the screw making removal with a head driver simple.
good luck!
Old 07-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

The only way i ever found to remove striped out screw was to use a dremel cut off wheel and cut a slot for a flathead screw driver into it. Notch the screw hear by applying the cut-off wheel perpendicularly to the screw head. This will normally allow you to undo the screw once (don't ever be cheap and try to re-use the screw).

Best of luck

Tim
Old 07-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

ah stripped screws, ive had alot of experience with them

since its a flat head(countersunk i'll assume), best way to get them out is to use an "easy out" drill bit, or a left hand thread drill bit. you can get them in small sizes, so all you need to do is slowly drill into the screw, and it will come out.

or you could loosen the other bulkhead bolts(if their not stripped either), and turn the bulkhead, in hope it will loosen.

also, as ive learnt, hex head screws can easily strip with poor tools. if you can, get all the screws out, and replace them with phillips or flat head screws. and dont overtighten!
Old 07-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by haywood
Guys,Any tips on removing some badly stripped screws on the sedan I just picked up off RCTECH that was advertised as "MINT CONDITION".They are the flat head allen screws that hold the bulkheads to the chassis.The previous owner must of tried using the wrong size wrench.
You can use a cut off wheel in a Dremel tool but make sure you grind the wheel down to a small diameter to reduce cutting into the graphite chassis.

Or, you can use a screw extractor. It does require that you drill a hole down the center of the screw, not too deep, just enough for the extractor to get a bite. The harder you turn the extractor, the more it bites into the screw and because it is reverse thread, it backs the screw out. These extractors are also called "rooster cocks."

http://www.mcmaster.com/#screw-removers/=2rxm48

Just select the extractor that best fits the screw you are trying to remove.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by total3d

since its a flat head(countersunk i'll assume), best way to get them out is to use an "easy out" drill bit, or a left hand thread drill bit. you can get them in small sizes, so all you need to do is slowly drill into the screw, and it will come out.

or you could loosen the other bulkhead bolts(if their not stripped either), and turn the bulkhead, in hope it will loosen.

also, as ive learnt, hex head screws can easily strip with poor tools. if you can, get all the screws out, and replace them with phillips or flat head screws. and dont overtighten!
Or you could just buy a decent set of hex drivers.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

easy outs work ok but you need to drill in to the screw,i have found this to be a lot easier,its a screw extractor by craftsman and works awesome http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...crew+extractor
Old 07-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by total3d

I'll add to this a little bit. One thing I've found that really helps is heating the the screw up with your soldering iron a touch. Then use a left handed drill bit. The goal is to get it back out with the drill and not actually drill the head off the screw. If that happens your ok.. you just have to use a pair of pliers to get the screw out of the bulkhead.

I've actually removed several from my room mates car by heating the screw up and using a right handed drill bit backwards.. (not advised though)..

Grew up around a machine shop, and work in the family job shop now.. You get used to taking broken bolts, and striped screws out of stuff
Old 07-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Thanks guys for all the tips,yes I will be fine once I get them out because I have some good quality tools so I will stick with hex head screws.