R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   1/12 RIDE HEIGHT CAMS?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/312575-1-12-ride-height-cams.html)

drive2survive 07-16-2009 04:26 PM

1/12 RIDE HEIGHT CAMS??

I have a whole slug of ride cams of diffrent sizes and looking for info how thier used :cool:

robk 07-16-2009 04:39 PM

Basically, they are used to keep ride height constant despite changes in tire diameter. So as your tire gets smaller, or if you want to run a smaller tire, you change to a cam which moves the axle closer to the bottom of the chassis. Ex. You have an IRS 3.0mm cam and you true down your tires, now your are .5mm lower on ride height than you want to be. Change to the 3.5mm cam to bring the axle down, and the chassis up.

Associated has numbers stamped into the cams, but they are just a number. Most of the time we used a #3 I think. IRS are way better.

drive2survive 07-16-2009 05:36 PM

thanx for the info. so now the question would be, why would you want to use diffrent size tires, also what constitiutes diffrent ground clearence for diffrent cars?
excuse the ignorence but after 40 yrs playing with airplanes the car thing is a whole diffrent can o worms! :cool:

corallyman 07-16-2009 05:45 PM

Most of the time 1/12th scale cars are run with about 3mm of ride height. As the tire wears down with use, the chassis gets closer to the ground which causes scraping or rubbing. So you use the cams to keep the ride height the same. On carpet tracks there is almost always a minimum ride height that is used. 3mm for 1/12th scale, 5mm for Touring cars is pretty common.

The tire diameter is what you are looking at. Years ago for example we used to true our 1/12th scale tires to 1.90 inches to start and fronts to about 1.72 inches. Currently almost everyone cuts the tires smaller than that to start with. Maybe someone else can state the sizes that are common now. Also most people now also use MM to measure tires not inches.:D

There is a temporary carpet track in our area now, Hangar 30. Have you visited the thread yet?

Steve

drive2survive 07-16-2009 05:52 PM

and even more good info...:cool: to answer your question, Ive never been thier and am new to cars, where and what kind of a track are you refering too?

corallyman 07-16-2009 06:12 PM

Hangar 30 at Magnuson Park at the old Navy base. It's closed now for the summer and everyone is trying to support the outdoor programs in the area. It starts back up in September and they have scheduled 22 races. Most of them are on Wednesday nights but there are a couple of weekend events too including a 2 dayer. Roar membership is required due to liability issues. The carpet track gets setup before racing and taken down after racing the same night. Race fees are very good 10 bucks, and the majority goes back to the club. The city charges are very good rate to us. Lots and lots of fun.

Steve

robk 07-16-2009 06:32 PM

Depends on the car, but 1.72 rears and 1.65-62 fronts to start...YMMV

drive2survive 07-16-2009 07:45 PM

:cry:

Originally Posted by corallyman (Post 6077352)
Hangar 30 at Magnuson Park at the old Navy base. It's closed now for the summer and everyone is trying to support the outdoor programs in the area. It starts back up in September and they have scheduled 22 races. Most of them are on Wednesday nights but there are a couple of weekend events too including a 2 dayer. Roar membership is required due to liability issues. The carpet track gets setup before racing and taken down after racing the same night. Race fees are very good 10 bucks, and the majority goes back to the club. The city charges are very good rate to us. Lots and lots of fun.

Steve

oh sure, the old air base, Ha,I rememeber very well the u-control meets we had back in the 60s, wow, Ive heard thier flying free flight in some hanger but not too active I guess>>>>. back in the mid 80s a bunch of us flew on that soccer field but someone on that hill started to bitch so the cops kept showing up hehehehe ...ok back to hanger 30 I should have known it was thier, no other hanger would sponser such a deal, thats great and glad to hear thier using it for something useful, like models:D and thanx for the car tips

corallyman 07-16-2009 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by robk (Post 6077452)
Depends on the car, but 1.72 rears and 1.65-62 fronts to start...YMMV

Thanks Rob, I knew somebody knowlegeable would chime in, What does YMMV stand for?:confused:

Steve

chris moore 07-17-2009 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by corallyman (Post 6078427)
Thanks Rob, I knew somebody knowlegeable would chime in, What does YMMV stand for?:confused:

Steve

YMMV = Your mileage may vary
As to tire size you want to start at 44mm rears and 42mm fronts, which is the same dam as Rob memtioned just in metric. You allways want to run about a 2mm stagger between the fronts and rears.