R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #121
Tech Master

should be novice stock and mod for all classes. novice would be good for new people entering the hobby because right now we are losing racers and not really getting new ones, i think this would help. everyone is so split right now in the direction the hobby should go, well maybe we need to hit the reset button and start from the beginning and simplify things and get rid of 13.5 and these 4.5'etc..

to many motor classes, seems to just split people to much. (to many options)

novice 21.5
stock 17.5 (can't argue about 17.5 i feel it's ideal for stock)
mod 10.5 ( if this was the motor cap. for mod then maybe it
would be more than 10 to 12 people in this class.
10.5 plenty of power and a lot eaiser on the equipment
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #122
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default my 2.5 cents

Back in the day, (8-10 years ago,) turnouts were huge and actual "families" came to the races. Now, you have the same diehard group who race with virtually no one new coming out.

The problem, as I see it, is that racers cannot leave things alone. You impose a 17.5 motor limit, racers buy 3 motors from 3 manufacturers to see which is fastest. You legalize lipo's, racers buy the "fastest lipo." As soon as a class becomes popular, racers begin to drive the cost of racing way up by getting the latest $500 chassis, or the 2 run tires.

Catering to the die-hard racers is great, but as is already happening, it drives the "hobby racers" out. The only classes I see growing and staying popular are fun classes (slash, tamiya mini, etc.) In my opinion, these classes have 2 attributes that are missing from the current, chassis, motor, battery, tire wars of "serious" on road racing:
1) no need for lots of power because you cannot use it
2) most hopups don't really make much of a difference

Talking about who should be allowed in mod, stock, etc is silly, when you have 40 guys showing up to big on road races (in the md area,) and 10-15 guys showing up at regular races. (Used to be hundreds at the big races, and 40-50 at regular races.)

What is really a shame is that lipo and brushless have been a godsend to "hobby" racers, but for the "serious" racers, nothing has changed, and I don't think it ever will.

My solution is to leave "serious" racing alone, and focus on "hobby" and fun racing. That is the only way to save on-road racing.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #123
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

We actually put something like this to the EXCOMM a few years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Instead of Pro

Call it the Expert Class....

A name change

no rules changed for Mod

just call it Expert & the racers ego will do the rest...
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #124
Tech Legend

Tim

You ex-com boys only need to
make some small changes, not big !
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #125
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
We actually put something like this to the EXCOMM a few years ago...
george was unable to give a decent answer, maybe you could,

how do you decide who runs what.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #126
Tech Legend

Only the racer should decide which class he runs ....

Just like now....

If your not ready for the expert class just race in the class your most comfortable with...

The faster drivers will always rise to the top making room for new racers in the less advance class`s so those racers can have fun too....

This is the real problem , not money, economy or the cost of the kits...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #127
Tech Champion

There were a bunch of suggestions at the time, but when we received initial feedback that it would not be considered, we kind of shelved it.

My opinion has changed a little bit since we initially discussed it.

I believe the Pro class should be a true PRO class. The racers get paid to race it, and YOU need to earn a Pro "license" < at least for Nats type of racing.

13.5 for Expert non-paid racing

17.5 or something slower for Sportsman... no Chassis/Motor Sponsors in this class.

For my grand plan, we need a points ranking system, and top 10 in Sportsman can move up to Expert, Top 10 Experts in the nation can move up to Pro and get paid... or something like that... Notice... they CAN move up, they are not required.

Broad strokes here... It can be done, but need everyone ( large promoters and ROAR ) to get on the same page. Maybe ROAR can have an EXCOMM at the site of the Birds so it is easy for everyone to get together at once...

That is one of the issues.. We still need to address the atmosphere, costs , blah ,blah blah....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
george was unable to give a decent answer, maybe you could,

how do you decide who runs what.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #128
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
For my grand plan, we need a points ranking system, and top 10 in Sportsman can move up to Expert, Top 10 Experts in the nation can move up to Pro and get paid... or something like that... Notice... they CAN move up, they are not required..
That doesnt sound like a lot of guys will be elegible. Did I misread your post? I think you have good ideas, not withstanding the fact that it would be difficult to police who gets paid.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #129
Tech Champion

on-road classes

Tamiya mini....everybody
Vintage Trans-am...everybody
RCGT.....everybody
17.5 sedan....everybody
13.5 sedan....everybody
open mod sedan....everybody

you as a racer know where you belong...with all the classes out there, there is no reason a honest solution cant be found....if paid/sponsored pro drivers want to run slower classes..than thats there choice...we as "JOES" just need to get better or just run "Sportsman" at big events...I ran 17.5 at the largest on-road event Ive ever been to...my goal was to make the A,...they had mod and 13.5...I didnt run those classes cause I wasnt in their league.. I just didnt want to be in the way....

we can debate about whats best and what will solve the problem all day long...the bottom line is if we (JOES) are not having fun we can always put in extra hours at work....look for a honest solution to keep on-road racing at the top of the r/c world...
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #130
Tech Champion

Paid for results... A purse at the race.

On top of thier measly salary...

The numbers to move up are just examples.... say 20 or 30... or whatever... But you have to WORK to get to the next level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
That doesnt sound like a lot of guys will be elegible. Did I misread your post? I think you have good ideas, not withstanding the fact that it would be difficult to police who gets paid.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #131
Tech Champion

Quote:
Paid for results... A purse at the race.
OK so it has nothing to do with sponsorships or salaries.

I understand Darksides point too, but I do think there should be a point where you have to have a "license" to compete. Of Course some races are invitational so I guess the invitation is your license.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 PM   #132
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny-b23 View Post
1 cell Lipo is the only way that you're going to reduce speeds and increase competitive racing. The LRP SPX Stock Spec and the Tekin RS with their boost functions have made stock classes somewhat of an equipment game. Seems to me that if we raise the turn limit in Mod all we're doing is making another "Stock" class, which then it would start to come down to equipment at the top level.
How is 1cell immune to this effect? Magic?
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:59 PM   #133
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
How is 1cell immune to this effect? Magic?
Timing boost is unneeded on Mod motors now, I don't see how you think it would change if you lowered the voltage. Yeah, sure the car would be slower, but you're still trying to use boost on a motor that doesn't need it ant any voltage. Last I heard the 12th mod guys weren't running boost.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 AM   #134
Tech Master

We have just changed our rules in NZ for NZRCA sanctioned comps. Now we only have 3 touring classes:
Stock (silver can)
Pro Stock (13.5 turn)
Mod (open)

This looks promising to be a good spread of power and openess for people to get into a class they can afdford and is at their level.

We also have Mini etc etc, but touring is the most popular.
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:40 AM   #135
Tech Champion

The way I see it is if you're good in mod, you've reached the pinnacle of r/c and you know how to set a car up, chances are you have helped plenty of others around you too as you've been in r/c for a long time.

So, rather than stay racing mod, in a class with a low turnout, why not race in stock and 10.5, and set the standard for others to beat?

I am never likely to be consistant in 10.5, let alone mod (I have managed a 19t club race occasionally quite well before) but it's 13.5 all the way for me.

Modified is a smaller group of racers in any country, at any track. Not everyone has the track time to get to that caliber of racing.

If you're not enjoying your racing, you're either at the wrong place/ in the wrong class, or you're not supposed to be racing.

If I don't like a track, or the people I race with, I find somewhere else to race or take a break from racing

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote