R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

You have a very odd situation there...

Every permanent track in Fla is Outdoor, and most are large. Mod is dead around here. Mod needs to more like 10.5 speed to thrive again. It is plain and simple too fast for good racing.

We all need to take a step down in speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
you need to remember not everyone runs on carpet, some of us have the luxury of a very large parking lot to run on, and mod is growing.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost

Last edited by TimPotter; 07-17-2009 at 12:25 PM.
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #32
Tech Elite

This happens all the time. Onroad has it's ups and down, just like everything else. One club could be having a good year of racing, while another club (a few miles away) could be having a slow year. Things happen, people have lives, and so you have a low turnout.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko View Post
sedan mod needs to go its a wasted class that only a hand full of factory guys run , halloween classic hosted by the gate is a good example of how it should be done. 10.5 is a great class, fast but not to fast and is just as entertaining as mod.
This makes sense in a way. But what about mod speed is the problem? Is it that it is too fast, or is it too fast for most people to be competitive?

If it is too fast, you can run a slower motor. There is nothing in the rules that says you have to run a 3.5 with 6-cells.

My guess is that most do not move up because they are unable to compete with a Lemieux, Cyrul, Hebert, or Blackstock. You get these guys concentrating on 10.5 and they are going to dominate that as well. I bet you would ultimately end up with a 10.5 Modified class that only a handful of factory guys run.

The problem with on-road racing is that people will only race if they think they have a chance to win. This does not seem to be a problem in electric off-road and definitely is not in 1/8 off-road. Another problem is that America drivers are not as good as they used to be relative to the drivers around the World.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #34
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
The problem with on-road racing is that people will only race if they think they have a chance to win.
Words of wisdom.... Do you mind if i put this in my signature?
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Here's a good example where you lost an onroader.

My son started racing 1/8th scale buggy with me last summer. He had a blast - practicing in the yard then going to the races. One time he bumped from the C main all the way to the A main and ended up driving 45 minutes straight. Not once that summer did he have a DNF. Summer's over so now we head inside for touring car. His first onroad race he breaks every practice run and every qualifier and even the main. So we keep going and he gets better. Too many frustrating days and spent money on parts. He eventually makes it through a race day without breaking. Now this summer we start back with 1/8th scale buggy and he's a much better driver and he's having fun again. He told me he'd rather stick to offroad and we'll find something else to do in the winter.

Why is it that you have brittle cars and harder track barriers? For offroad they have tougher cars and softer/flexible barriers. Everyone's complaining the cars are too fast well make the cars tougher. Its obvious we've got the horsepower now to move a heavier car.
the answer my friend is blowing in the wind, actually its hidden within your very own words, your son had nitro dirt finger, and early turn in sydrome, once he figured out traction equals more steering, and just grabbing hand fulls of trigger didn't work indoors he was fine. besides its kinda hard to bury 4 - 6 inch flex pipe indoors
Old 07-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
I`m not so sure about that , I don`t even recall who won the Sedan Mod Nats last nor do I care .....
And I don't recall who won any offroad race. What's your point again?
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #37
Tech Champion

Quote:
I`m not so sure about that , I don`t even recall who won the Sedan Mod Nats last nor do I care .....
just as some of us have no idea who won mod off road nats THIS year.

and BTW, you quoted the wrong guy.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #38
Tech Legend

Dup
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #39
Tech Legend

my point is easy to understand

No prestige in winning a stock Sedan race & no decent mod program means no experience racer`s coming to play ....

Most have all left Sedan and they all race off-road now for this very reason....
Old 07-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
This makes sense in a way. But what about mod speed is the problem? Is it that it is too fast, or is it too fast for most people to be competitive?

If it is too fast, you can run a slower motor. There is nothing in the rules that says you have to run a 3.5 with 6-cells.

My guess is that most do not move up because they are unable to compete with a Lemieux, Cyrul, Hebert, or Blackstock. You get these guys concentrating on 10.5 and they are going to dominate that as well. I bet you would ultimately end up with a 10.5 Modified class that only a handful of factory guys run.

The problem with on-road racing is that people will only race if they think they have a chance to win. This does not seem to be a problem in electric off-road and definitely is not in 1/8 off-road. Another problem is that America drivers are not as good as they used to be relative to the drivers around the World.
Rick, you definitely have a point. There are many drivers who should be racing mod, who are not. At the same time, for club races, there are also a lot of people who should not be racing 13.5.

For racing to be healthy, you need a strong club racing community. I know our outdoor track has turned out a lot of new faces due to the slower classes. As these guys progress, though, we need people to move up. We need drivers who have the ability not to sandbag it for whatever reason.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:44 PM   #41
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
my point is easy to understand

No prestige in winning a stock Sedan race & no decent mod program means no experience racer`s coming to play ....

Most have all left Sedan and they all race off-road now for this very reason....
There is big $$$ in off road these days. The guys who are left in on road now never really raced off road in the first place. Or they are trying to get paid in 1/8 on road. Prestige has very little to do with why there are less pro guys racing on road.

Which of the current top offroad drivers was running at the front of on road races anyway? Pavidas? Easton? You rarely saw Cavaleri or Drake at an on road race.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
the state of onroad electric racing?
I race in California.

--pakk
Old 07-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #43
Tech Legend

stupid server
Old 07-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #44
Tech Legend

The money sure is not why I race Mod & Gas ...

so your point is not working

But if you are correct

National`s for Mod Sedan should have huge cash prizes, then the Sedan could be saved ?

Have to disagree with that ...

Its the core of the program that needs fixing and money is not one of the solutions....
Old 07-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Rick, you definitely have a point. There are many drivers who should be racing mod, who are not. At the same time, for club races, there are also a lot of people who should not be racing 13.5.

For racing to be healthy, you need a strong club racing community. I know our outdoor track has turned out a lot of new faces due to the slower classes. As these guys progress, though, we need people to move up. We need drivers who have the ability not to sandbag it for whatever reason.
I agree. But I think that many people miss the fact that modified is what you make it to be.

Take real F1 for example. At a track like Monaco the cars are much slower than they are at a track like Monza. The teams don't change the power output, but they do adjust speeds for smaller tracks.

My point is that modified on one track is going to be different than modified on another. Mofiedi could be 13.5 on some tracks, and it could be 3.5 on others. But the better more experienced drivers need to step up to modified so that there is room at the bottom for others.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote