R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic
 
ckaspar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 773
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit_dad View Post
Hi, I recently bought my son the Cyclone S kit, but if I had to do it all over, I would have gotten the TC model. We have spent extra money with upgrades, better shocks, thje diff's ect. I do think the HB cars are competitive, but start out with the TC and I think you will save money in the long run.
Phil, what class is Alex running? Is he running RCGT or Sedan? I don't know squat about onroad and it was suggested that I get the Cyclone S. Would I still need to upgrade all of the other stuff just to do RCGT or ...?

P.S. When are and Alex going to make it down to West Coast? Both tracks are up and running. We have offroad tonight.

Sorry for the slight hijack.
__________________
Chris Kaspar

West Coast R/C Raceway and Hobby Garage--www.westcoastrcraceway.com

RnCPhotography--www.rncfoto.com
ckaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice
 
capturefx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BALTIMORE MD
Posts: 74
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
why not just get a car that the people at your track run or people in the area and a car you can get parts for. so that when you need help you can get help by the people at your track and you can also get parts with out having to buy them online
yeah thats what made me decide more towards the xray, mostly everyone at my local hobby shop buy xrays and they carry a ton of xray parts.
capturefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice
 
capturefx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BALTIMORE MD
Posts: 74
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaspar View Post
Phil, what class is Alex running? Is he running RCGT or Sedan? I don't know squat about onroad and it was suggested that I get the Cyclone S. Would I still need to upgrade all of the other stuff just to do RCGT or ...?

P.S. When are and Alex going to make it down to West Coast? Both tracks are up and running. We have offroad tonight.

Sorry for the slight hijack.
i personally did some research and had alot of time to think about getting the cyclone s and i know myself that im going to be upgrading stuff here and there and i basically came up with a price that would have been more or close to the price of cyclone tc or the xray t2009 so, in my opinion id rather get a car fully hooked up so i can hit the track right away and not have to worry about upgrading this and that. thats if cash is not an issue but if it is and you have the patience to wait for parts and slowly hook up your car as you build your budged then it will work out for you.
capturefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #19
Tech Adept
 
mr fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: new jersey usa
Posts: 163
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by capturefx View Post
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THE CYCLONE S RR?????. I CANT AFFORD AN XRAY RIGHT NOW, IS THE CYCLONE S RR A GOOD DEAL FOR 200 NEW.

COMMENTS, OPINIONS PLEASE.
i have a cyclone s. its well worth the money if you are on a tight budget. the only thing i upgraded was the the aluminun c-hubs, front knuckles and rear hubs.from 3racing. the stock ones are crap, they break easy; even on the cyclone tc. the car is strong as a tank. most stores sell them for about $150. or you can buy a used tc .
__________________
marc davila aka... marc ups.... drive it like you stole it.
mr fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice
 
capturefx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BALTIMORE MD
Posts: 74
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr fit View Post
i have a cyclone s. its well worth the money if you are on a tight budget. the only thing i upgraded was the the aluminun c-hubs, front knuckles and rear hubs.from 3racing. the stock ones are crap, they break easy; even on the cyclone tc. the car is strong as a tank. most stores sell them for about $150. or you can buy a used tc .
you say that the cyclone s is strong as a tank... i guess when you hit something or get hit the steering doesnt get tweaked?... Thats what im looking for something that is very durable and can take a pounding. i have a hpi e10 right now and i tell you one little thing and the steering gets tweaked, and makes me all paranoid taking turns at the track .

how about the plastic oil filled shocks that the cyclone s comes with ??? is it any good i saw that and i was like man thats got to be the first one to be upgraded.
capturefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:05 AM   #21
Tech Apprentice
 
V_28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 61
Default

I have a Cyclone S - purchased on impulse though I already had the Xray009 and a TF5, and to be completely honest I should have saved my money. Don't get me wrong, it is a decent car for the price but the C hubs and steering arms are really, really, weak. I broke one side by just tapping my real cars tire! It wasn't even go fast, more like decreasing my speed, and it tapped and broke Like some have done the best thing is to buy the alum. ones and that will save a whole lot of drama in the future.

As for the shocks, they are ok and I actually find they are easy to adjust. They are very soft springs though. The motor it came with wasn't good so I took that out straight away as with the Jolt+R esc, another thing that wasn't worth really keeping on because I like faster motors than it could handle.

The Xray 009 is like the Pro version you are thinking of getting. Xray have top of the shelf stuff and you can't go wrong with it. And from what i can remember, you said the guys at ur track run Xrays so that will make yourl ife much easier in terms of help from the guys.

You won't regret the Pro if you haven't bought it yet. Good luck with it!
V_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:14 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice
 
capturefx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BALTIMORE MD
Posts: 74
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_28 View Post
I have a Cyclone S - purchased on impulse though I already had the Xray009 and a TF5, and to be completely honest I should have saved my money. Don't get me wrong, it is a decent car for the price but the C hubs and steering arms are really, really, weak. I broke one side by just tapping my real cars tire! It wasn't even go fast, more like decreasing my speed, and it tapped and broke Like some have done the best thing is to buy the alum. ones and that will save a whole lot of drama in the future.

As for the shocks, they are ok and I actually find they are easy to adjust. They are very soft springs though. The motor it came with wasn't good so I took that out straight away as with the Jolt+R esc, another thing that wasn't worth really keeping on because I like faster motors than it could handle.

The Xray 009 is like the Pro version you are thinking of getting. Xray have top of the shelf stuff and you can't go wrong with it. And from what i can remember, you said the guys at ur track run Xrays so that will make yourl ife much easier in terms of help from the guys.

You won't regret the Pro if you haven't bought it yet. Good luck with it!
THANKS! yeah im trying to save for the xray 009 i figured i'd save myself the headache and alot of time. i just need to be patient and and wait a couple of weeks to save.
capturefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #23
Tech Adept
 
mr fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: new jersey usa
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capturefx View Post
you say that the cyclone s is strong as a tank... i guess when you hit something or get hit the steering doesnt get tweaked?... Thats what im looking for something that is very durable and can take a pounding. i have a hpi e10 right now and i tell you one little thing and the steering gets tweaked, and makes me all paranoid taking turns at the track .

how about the plastic oil filled shocks that the cyclone s comes with ??? is it any good i saw that and i was like man thats got to be the first one to be upgraded.
the weakest part on the car is the c-hubs. if another car taps your car they easily break. everything else is pretty durable. thanks to the tub chassis your electronics and battery are (almost) safe from damage. the cyclone s handles almost as good as the TC. the TC has way better tuning options. P.S. please dont give your car a pounding. that is not what it is intended for.check out the pics for reference. i hope they help.
Attached Thumbnails
IM TORN!! WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THE HB CYCLONE S-cyclone-001.jpg   IM TORN!! WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THE HB CYCLONE S-cyclone-002.jpg   IM TORN!! WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THE HB CYCLONE S-cyclone-003.jpg  
__________________
marc davila aka... marc ups.... drive it like you stole it.

Last edited by mr fit; 07-18-2009 at 05:09 PM.
mr fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #24
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boynton Beach, Florida
Posts: 163
Default Zdiddy please...

Hard to find cyclone parts? I think not, check out AMain, Tower, Superior, just today went to 2 shops local to me and they had HB parts as well as HPI Pro 4 parts, and yes everything a racer needs, arms, c hubs, yadda yadda.
I looked at the xray parts and it was the same. So in my area, if you race Xray or HB its all good.
boyntoncyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:25 AM   #25
Tech Master
 
skiptomylou6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 1,308
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I've been running the Cyclone S for about a year and half now, and it's been a love/hate relationship but lately it's been going back to LOVE. . My car is basically stock, only mod is 3Racing universals infront and a spool. The Cyclone is VERY, VERY easy to set up in my opinion. I've had zero issues with the stock shocks, despite hearing people say to upgrade them I think the stocks are just fine. All you really need to do is make sure ride heights are equal, camber is equal all around, and the car tracks straight and it's a great car for the money. Screw hop-ups, just run it out of the box and see how YOU like it. . I say get it and have fun, just stock up on C-Hubs, and maybe eventually upgrade to the Pro Diffs.
skiptomylou6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice
 
capturefx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BALTIMORE MD
Posts: 74
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

GUYS! i just bought an xray t2r pro. i couldnt help it i found one on ebay new $289. free shipping no tax. i cant wait im getting it this thursday. and i'll try to get it together and hit the track this sunday, i'll keep everyone posted with pics.
capturefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice
 
V_28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 61
Default

can't wait to see the pics and if you need any help with the car there are so many xray guys on this forum.
V_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #28
Tech Apprentice
 
capturefx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BALTIMORE MD
Posts: 74
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

NEED HELP ON brushless esc and motors .. trying to get a new set up for my xray but i dont know what brand or kind of brushless esc to get i dont need something too powerfull and too expensive. and motors too.. trying to run stock class racing. please advise.. im trying to get set up asap!

thanks
capturefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:24 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net