R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default The First RC Racing CAmp for Kids! (Video of Highlights of the Mains!)

(I have a duplicate thread of this in the Racing Forum, is this ok?)

Hey guys, I just wanted to put up a post about the Emagination RC Car Camp that ended 2 weeks ago. It was an incredible time to work there and the following is the video of the A and B Mains highlights that were held at the end of the camp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I6JBjS8n2U

I am posting this to get the word out that an RC Camp for kids that not only teaches them how to build, but everything about racing. The kids came crashers and bashers and left racers. It was an incredible transformation to see them trying to turn at full throttle at the start, but then at the end were putting up stellar times around our 34x68 foot track and using throttle control and their understanding of momentum.

The Emagination Computer Camp is a camp geared towards children and teens who love and want to learn more about technology. There are classes such as Flash Animation, Puzzle Game Design, Advanced Web Design with PHP, 3D Character Modeling, and many other classes on new technologies.

This year Emagination Computer Camps in Massachusetts has run the first ever Radio Controlled Car Camp where the main focus was to not only build, but experience what it's like to participate in a TCS race. The campers learned to tune and keep cars in running condition, how to drive on the racing lines on the track and proper marshaling when not running.

In the latter half of the week the campers ran practice laps together and then practice timed laps using the I-Lap Timing System, one of the camp's sponsors. Timed qualifiers were held to determine the A and B Mains and were held at the end of the camp.

In the slideshow part of the video we have a picture with RC Car Action. They sent us Hats, parts trays, magazines, stickers and the awesome banner. We have submitted pictures in hopes of an article soon!

Details about the camp are found here:
http://www.computercamps.com/radio_c.../overview.html

Hmm, I know it seems like I am being paid to write this and make the video, but I wasn't. I merely was one of the instructors and think it turned out much better than I really anticipated. Again, I was shocked by how much the kids improved and matured as racers (despite all the crashes that you see on the videos ).
Old 07-15-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

That's really cool. I wish I would have had that kind of experience when I was a kid. Stuff like that really helps to keep them out of trouble. Great job!
Need belts or parts? I can help.
SWs, RWs, XX-4s, XXX-S
jhwnissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Send a message via AIM to killatoyota4569

That is madd cool, but I dont think it is worth the $1200 dollar Fee they charge. Not worth buildin a mini Taiyma and takin it home. Plus it is ONLY 6 days. So thats a summer camp??
Old 07-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My lord.. 1200 is pretty pricey. I would think 500 bucks would be more than enough. Does it have anything to do with the equipment that needed to be bought for this? Still a great concept though!
Need belts or parts? I can help.
SWs, RWs, XX-4s, XXX-S
jhwnissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes, we had to buy the timing systems, build the tracks, get them building supplies, get the cars, Futaba T2PH Transmitters, batteries and chargers for them to take home. Also keep in mind that this is room and board for a week. Also as instructors we need to be paid as well. That's over $200 in equipment for each kid. $300 is nowhere near enough for room and board alone for a week.

If you look at prices of other summer camps, they're all $1000+ nowadays for overnight camps, but yes I agree it is a little pricey especially in these times.

This is simply a camp meant to show kids racing with experienced racers. All the kids had a blast and are going back home to find/join local clubs and tracks. I feel like a kid jumping straight into a local club might be daunting with all the adults, and the facility and other kids makes it more comfortable to see what racing is like.

I feel like it's worth it that the kids are finding passions and hobbies. A lot of these kids are on the fence about whether they really like RC cars, or are just parking lot bashers wondering about racing. After this past camp all the kids were excited to look for tracks in their own area. I think finding that interest is something you can't put a dollar amount to. Yes, it is pricey, but if it means an opportunity to find something they want a passion and keep out of trouble, I feel like the camp has done something $1200 alone can't do.

Last edited by Mooshu Beef; 07-15-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Mooshu Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Nice! I think many kids would be very interested!
V Needs Speed is offline   Reply With Quote