R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Can someone comment on Tekin brushless motors compared to a Duo2.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #47
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Does anyone have any experience with the LRP Vector X-11's????
shooter75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:23 AM   #48
Tech Addict

Default 17.5 vs 17.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Can someone comment on Tekin brushless motors compared to a Duo2.
Tekin is fast taking over at my home club. Locally available for $285 (ESC & 17.5) compared to $400+ for other combos. Just download the latest setups from the net and you dont even have to use 1 brain cell to have a fast car. Add to that a download of a World's setup from one of the pro's and you can drive a car thats pre-pepared for you.

I think the Duo with a good esc (SP or LRP SPX) is the better option. I know of a couple of people running the Trinity Duo/LRP combo and they are some of the better more consistantly good drivers in our competitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter75 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the LRP Vector X-11's????
Good all-round motor. They all have their advantages but I found the LRP to be very similar to the Novak17.5 (good alround).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroifittipalde View Post
im new to brushless and recently purchased the novak gtb with the 17.5ss motor. i have it on a stock hpi pro2 and it seems really slow. much slower than the brushed setup. does anyone know the proper spur/ pinion combination i should start with on this car? im currently running a 122t spur and 35t pinion. the cars final drive ratio is 2.1. i checked the gearing recommendations on the novak site and it says 3.5 fdr for touring cars w/ 17.5 motors. i think the current gearing comes out to a ratio of 7.33. very confused as to where i go from here.
I ran my Novak ESC/17.5 combo at 3.4FDR on a large Nitro-1/8th scale track. Temps were great on the motor and ESC and I never had a problem. If worried then start at 4.0 and work down to whatever the temps allow you to run fast and below 170f.

Ben
auzzy_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:49 AM   #49
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt-racer View Post
Guys/gals, as I consider getting a new 17.5T brushless motor I realized that there are way too many choices to pick from. How come we don't get to see straight comparisons of brushless motor on a side by side basis? What do you guys would recommend to be the best one or two motors out there for 17.5T brushless.

So far I see the following in the market:

Trinity Pulse 17.5T
Team Epic Duo 2 17.5T
Tekin Redline 17.5T
Speed Passion 17.5R
Orion Vortex 2008 Version 2 17.5T
Novak SS 17.5 Pro
LRP Vector X-11 Stock Spec 17.5T
Losi 17.5T Xcelorin S
Hacker Brushless E40 17.5T
Fantom Ion 2 Pro 17.5T

Like I said, too many to choose from. The application will be 1/10 Touring Car class. Any advise? Can you tell me about your experience with any of these and have you compared them at all? more than one motor comparison? Thanks!
Don't 'we' see this comparison every time 'we' go-on-the-tone?

is there a thread around here where I can see "the" new stuff available/up-coming from manufacturers/advertisers?

Thank you for a most enlightening poll of 17.5s....mine? Speedpassion w/ LPF 2.0 ina tc4 rubber carpet
Searchin fer answers in the Fog.......that's what I found
Drillit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:38 AM   #50
Tech Addict

I have run and seen SP, Tekin, Novak, LRP and the Trinity's.

Trinity Pulse 17.5T 6/10
Team Epic Duo 2 17.5T 9/10
Tekin Redline 17.5T 8/10 (8.5/10 with the Tekin RS ESC)
Speed Passion 17.5R 8.5/10
Orion Vortex 2008 Version 2 17.5T ?
Novak SS 17.5 Pro 6/10
LRP Vector X-11 Stock Spec 17.5T 6/10
Losi 17.5T Xcelorin S ?
Hacker Brushless E40 17.5T ?
Fantom Ion 2 Pro 17.5T ?

Ben
auzzy_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:48 AM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzy_mate View Post
Losi 17.5T Xcelorin S ?

Fantom Ion 2 Pro 17.5T ?

Ben
I had the Losi and its crap. 4/10 Great in the buggy but not for the tourer. I now have the Ion 2. Bumped it to middle timing hole and ended up today after 4 runs at 4.4fdr #7 with spx and its plenty fast. Will see how much sustained abuse it can handle over our state titles this weekend. Gonna try and gear it down to 3.9 and maybe up to 4.8 or something silly just to see how it reacts.

Walter Rc Hobby - Serpent 4X

Nosram - R1wurks - Sanwa - Hudy - Muchmore
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:05 AM   #52
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

not to throw the 'monkey' into the 'wrench'......how many of the these are Faigo based motors vs. novak vs. ? designs? ie, stickers on a can.
Searchin fer answers in the Fog.......that's what I found
Drillit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #53
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillit View Post
not to throw the 'monkey' into the 'wrench'......how many of the these are Faigo based motors vs. novak vs. ? designs? ie, stickers on a can.
All Novak motors are sold only with the Novak brand name---of the 17.5s, we offer the SS Pros and the new Ballistic Specs. All of our motors are designed, made and remanufactured here in our Irvine factory.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #54
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default DUO or DUO 2

Silly question time.... So is the Epic DUO 2 (17.5) actually a better/upgraded version of the Trinity DUO, or just a re-badged Pulse, utilising the success of the Trinity DUO name....

i.e, will there be another Trinity DUO, or it's already here in the Epic DUO 2?

thanks
jsr555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr555 View Post
Silly question time.... So is the Epic DUO 2 (17.5) actually a better/upgraded version of the Trinity DUO, or just a re-badged Pulse, utilising the success of the Trinity DUO name....

i.e, will there be another Trinity DUO, or it's already here in the Epic DUO 2?

thanks
From what I am hearing the Duo and the Duo 2 are the same motor with the exception of the Duo 2 having more timing adjustments instead of the set timeing degree's.

Speedtechrc.com / Team Orion USA / Airtronics / Proline / Bartalone Racing / rcinsider.com / 818Designs
What up? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #56
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Am I the only one that's had problems with the adjustment screw stripping out on the duo 2? I've had that issue with 2 of them so far. Seems to do so with no effort at all!
AndysD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #57
Team Tekin

Hard to say best all around in today’s environment. Each motor has a different performance curve and some shine better in different applications. Unfortunately the timing game and addition of 1S will take a while to settle down and find the limits. Vegas is teaching us some things right now at the IIC.

In light cars like 1/12 scale or 17.5 classes where there is a lot of full throttle, one motor might have a slight advantage. With faster motors or offroad where there is less constant throttle or more load, other motors may shine. In most cases you have to be darn good and well past setups (gearing, timing, car) and board tapping to really see the differences. They are all built to roar specs and similar in performance so there is some feel good factor and durability to consider.

You can tell a lot about the thought and engineering that went into the motor by the construction. Some cans are flat sheets that are rolled into tubes and seam welded (lowest cost). Others are extruded tubes with no seams or multiple parts. Some (Tekin) are 1 piece and machined from billet stock, which allows for more details like threading, ribs, tolerances, and better heat transfer. Some of us are not too smart and forget to look at cost until we are done with engineering and making it the best.

The internal assembly can also tell you a lot. Sensor pcb secured well and positioned accurately for timing and distance from the magnet to give consistency? Good soldering and a quality pcb to withstand the abusive impacts? Sensor plug mounted to a pcb or hanging on wires? Tapped holes clean and straight? How the rear bearing is supported and the bearing quality is also important. The connections for the windings to the solder tabs and the solder tabs themselves (mass, material, coatings) can have a large effect. Add rotor balance, winding quality, stack designs and you cannot really read this book by its cover, but you can if you open it up and look things over for yourself.

Unfortunately good engineering and quality materials do not guarantee fastest on the track in all of today’s wide range of applications…. But it can make you feel good and is one less thing to worry about. Unfortunately it is hard for one motor to be all things with today’s complicated spec setups and tight sweet spots. In most cases you win with driving skill and not the fastest motor in what is suppose to be a spec class anyway. Buy into a family of support and ongoing development instead of the short term hot candy.

Tekin Prez
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #58
Tech Master

I agree with you Jim.

Next year I drive 17,5T Lipo.
13,5T Lipo and this winter 10,5T lipo indoor.

17,5 on my club and 13,5 with the Dutch RC Series and other races.
10,5T by the Saturday evening races and in Belgium on a small indoor track.

I'm curious to the speed of the 17,5T. With what brushed motor can I compare it? 27T on 6 cell or lipo?
More good drivers go to that class at my club so it will be close racing.

But first the 10,5 Lipo this winter. I hope to reach the top 5 now.
Last year my goal was top 10 and i became 6th overall.
Hope to improve again.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #59
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well I ended up getting the Duo 2 motor. All I can say it is very fast out of the box. Strong low end in the infield and great top end in the straights. Had my X-ray FRD geared at 3.95 on our track. I also tried as low as 3.6 with max temps around 162. The Tekin motors were very comparable in speed. I am using the LRP TC Sphere ESC. Other guys that used the Tekin motor used their Tekin RS ESC's...and Turbo option on, they were simply faster in the straights. That advance timing feature simply puts most other ESC's to bed.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #60
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt-racer View Post
Well I ended up getting the Duo 2 motor. All I can say it is very fast out of the box. Strong low end in the infield and great top end in the straights. Had my X-ray FRD geared at 3.95 on our track. I also tried as low as 3.6 with max temps around 162. The Tekin motors were very comparable in speed. I am using the LRP TC Sphere ESC. Other guys that used the Tekin motor used their Tekin RS ESC's...and Turbo option on, they were simply faster in the straights. That advance timing feature simply puts most other ESC's to bed.
Yes the Tekin esc is super.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote