Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
In detail what does this mean from the manual? LRP >

In detail what does this mean from the manual? LRP

In detail what does this mean from the manual? LRP

Old 07-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default In detail what does this mean from the manual? LRP

This vague statement below is inside the SPHERE instructions manual~ but where do you guys find this 'brake' setting in your radios...name/mode?...I have the Spektrum DX3R.

Is the statement referring to adjusting the brake exponential setting?
I can't imagine it referring to Travel adjustment, since lowering it below 100% will not allow you to initialize the 'Launch Control' feature.

**A good starting point for the brake is 80% on the radio, for all classes. Make sure you do the
radio-setup with all settings on the radio on 100%.

Loot at page 2 / 7. Mode Programming / Mode 3 (Initial Brake) / Team Tips
http://www.lrp.cc/fileadmin/lrp_anle...-070119-fv.pdf

ALSO:

This is in regards to Sphere TC ESC + X12 4.0T motor~

Since both components have an input voltage of 7.4v, would it be correct for me to power it directly to a 2S 7.4v Lipo without a drop down regulator?

My SR3100 RX can handle up to 9.0v and then I plan to use a single drop down 5.8v adapter plug between the RX and servo.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jt415gz
**A good starting point for the brake is 80% on the radio, for all classes. Make sure you do the
radio-setup with all settings on the radio on 100%.
What they mean is set the ESC up with the endpoints at 100%, then after setup reduce the brake to 80% on the transmitter. This is either because LRP think that 100% brake on the ESC is too strong, or because they want to give you the opportunity to increase the amount of braking from the transmitter, ie go up to 90 or 100 from the rostrum if 80 is not enough.

Since both components have an input voltage of 7.4v, would it be correct for me to power it directly to a 2S 7.4v Lipo without a drop down regulator?

My SR3100 RX can handle up to 9.0v and then I plan to use a single drop down 5.8v adapter plug between the RX and servo.

The ESC regulates the input voltage from the main battery before sending it out the the RX, the exact value will be in the specs but in high-end speedos it is usually around 6V. No need for a seperate regulator.

If you are talking about running the RX from a seperate 7.4V receiver pack, then you should disconnect the red wire from the ESC receiver plug, and personally I would run a regulator to bring the voltage down, as 7.4V is beyond the manufacturers specs for the servo.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:30 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sosidge
What they mean is set the ESC up with the endpoints at 100%, then after setup reduce the brake to 80% on the transmitter. This is either because LRP think that 100% brake on the ESC is too strong, or because they want to give you the opportunity to increase the amount of braking from the transmitter, ie go up to 90 or 100 from the rostrum if 80 is not enough.

I'm guessing you may have come from nitro?

The ESC regulates the input voltage from the main battery before sending it out the the RX, the exact value will be in the specs but in high-end speedos it is usually around 6V. No need for a seperate regulator.

If you are talking about running the RX from a seperate 7.4V receiver pack, then you should disconnect the red wire from the ESC receiver plug, and personally I would run a regulator to bring the voltage down, as 7.4V is beyond the manufacturers specs for the servo.
Yes I have come from Nitro and I am still learning about electrics.

So when you say endpoints is that also known as the travel adjustment (farthest distance from left to right) and nothing to do with the exponential and sub trim settings?

Cool good to know that the Sphere ESC has a built-in regulator.
So I assume even when using a 7.4 volt Lipo...the X12 motor is only receiving 6.0v continuously as it is being regulated by the ESC.

On another note, so I should adjust my gear ratio's according to a chart which lists proper gearing ratio's @ 6.0v and not 7.4v?

I appreciate the fast reply thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

Basically reset your radio to factory settings before setting up the ESC. Endpoints may sometimes be called travel (different brands use different jargon), sub-trim and expo are all different settings. Don't know what you mean by left-right, the travel is an electronic setting for full throttle and full brake.

The motor is not regulated to 6V. The motor runs at the full voltage. It is the output to the receiver that is regulated.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:33 AM
Tech Addict

Basically reset your radio to factory settings before setting up the ESC. Endpoints may sometimes be called travel (different brands use different jargon), sub-trim and expo are all different settings. Don't know what you mean by left-right, the travel is an electronic setting for full throttle and full brake.

The motor is not regulated to 6V. The motor runs at the full voltage. It is the output to the receiver that is regulated.
Oh what I meant by left and right was only to describe what the Travel setting allows you to adjust, basically limiting or maximizing steering throw or what have you (but I'm sure you know that already) =).

I don't understand why I would need to reset my transmitter before setting up the ESC? During the ESC setup procedure all of my endpoints/travel were at full 100% and still are.

Since I want to keep the Launch Control feature then I guess I can not decrease the Brakes Travel/Endpoint less than 100% since it needs full brake input to be able to initialize Launch Control (solid blue LED). I am not sure why LRP would suggest decreasing to 70% (sintered), when it will in fact disable the use of their Launch Control. This is where it genuinely got me confused and asking the questions. At this point I am just rambling out-loud.

Ah I see, even better to know! The motor will receive whatever the current voltage of the battery is putting out, i.e. 7-4v-8.2v and the rest of the components will receive the regulated 5.8v.

Nice!

I have the Novak 2S Smart-Stop component installed and am thinking if I actually need it. I am starting to think it is not necessary OR is it? If you don't already know, the thing basically warns and shuts off power to the motor when power is reaching less than 6.2v and continues to allow power to the RX and Servo to pass. What do you think?

Last edited by jt415gz; 07-13-2009 at 02:34 AM. Reason: info
Old 07-13-2009, 03:22 AM
Tech Elite

Does the launch control actually require full brake, or just holding the brake to arm? By all means leave the brake setting at 100% on the TX, it won't do any harm.

Reset the radio (or use a freshly reset model) so you don't have any hidden settings that you may have changed and forgotten about.

Does the LRP have a built in LiPo cutoff? I thought it did. If so there is no need for the extra Novak unit.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:20 AM
Tech Addict

Does the launch control actually require full brake, or just holding the brake to arm? By all means leave the brake setting at 100% on the TX, it won't do any harm.

Reset the radio (or use a freshly reset model) so you don't have any hidden settings that you may have changed and forgotten about.

Does the LRP have a built in LiPo cutoff? I thought it did. If so there is no need for the extra Novak unit.
Know what? I am going to reset the ESC and TX and do the setup again for good measure.

You are right it does have a builit-in cutoff 'Auto-Cell'. Great now I can ditch that Novak and unwanted wiring!

Yes it seems to require the user to apply and hold full-brake for 5 seconds to activate Launch Control (only at full-brake a blue LED emits). Not sure if LRP meant 'full-break' at your desired brake setting or mandatory 100%...I will ask in their official forum, but the help is slow from my experience over there.
If it does work either way, then either I am too new to notice or it is not active at all with less than 100% brake applied. However, I can notice the difference when used at 100%, kind of like traction control sensing in a real vehicle.

From manual~

"Launch Control: Well known and famous from our brushed speedos! Now also available for brushless,
the launch control allows „rocket like“ starts. After activation it gives you more power one time for
the start (this feature is only recommended to be used with touring cars on high traction surfaces!).
How to activate launch control:
 Hold trigger of transmitter at full brake for 5sec before start. Ready and active!!!"
Old 07-13-2009, 04:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jt415gz
However, I can notice the difference when used at 100%, kind of like traction control sensing in a real vehicle.
It isn't a true traction control system - it just bypasses the lower speeds on the first throttle input, basically the car goes straight to full throttle for a faster start.

I don't actually know how widely used it is... I never use it.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:26 AM
Tech Addict

To activate launch control it is not needed to have brake setting on radio on 100% as a small amount of brake (anything higher then 5% is fine) for 5sec will activate the launch control.
Guess that is not written well in the manual, sorry!

Actually it was written like that for 10 years or so and noone ever mentioned it, thanks for bringing it up I'll correct it with next cycle.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Addict

It isn't a true traction control system - it just bypasses the lower speeds on the first throttle input, basically the car goes straight to full throttle for a faster start.

I don't actually know how widely used it is... I never use it.
I see, well I reset and setup my TX and ESC last night, it was a breeze, very simple. However I will continue testing the L.C. feature on different surfaces.

Thanks for all your help buddy!

Originally Posted by burito
To activate launch control it is not needed to have brake setting on radio on 100% as a small amount of brake (anything higher then 5% is fine) for 5sec will activate the launch control.
Guess that is not written well in the manual, sorry!

Actually it was written like that for 10 years or so and noone ever mentioned it, thanks for bringing it up I'll correct it with next cycle.
Wow, all is needed to activate the L.C. feature is to, hold down brake for 5 seconds with at least a 5% Travel/EPA? Then what the manual mentions is misleading. But I am glad that it does work the way you have illustrated, it will make my setup easier now!

Thanks for your reply as the moderators in the Official LRP forum have either ignored my issue all together or just don't know the answer to it.

P.s. I am using the Sphere TC / X12 4.0T / Lipo @ 7.4v / T2'008 / Large track - medium grip

Is a 9.5:1 gear ratio a good starting point and produce good run-times?