Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New car for VTA need options >

New car for VTA need options

New car for VTA need options

Old 07-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default New car for VTA need options

If money was no option what would be a good car for VTA xray, ae, magic, corally etc... hit me with your suggestions please
Old 07-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tennvol11
If money was no option what would be a good car for VTA xray, ae, magic, corally etc... hit me with your suggestions please
Think I'll just provide a cautionary tale instead. After you've purchased a brand new exotic touring chassis and built it to the max, you'll take it to your local track and proudly set it down next to cars you truly believe are no match for your hot rod. Your car is fantastic and find yourself wishing you could drive it just that little bit faster and take those corners a wee bit closer. You finish in third on your first outing and wonder what fantastic machines the top 2 drivers had. Upon inspection you find a humble TC3 and a XXX-S have bested your super car. In the pits the winning drivers talk of setup and practice notes on how to drive a faster line.
The point of the story? Simple, there's a lot of great cars out there and price has little to do with how "GOOD" they are. The real money you invest will be in practice,practice,practice because the car is only part of the equation. YOU are the other part. So consider buying whatever you feel comfortable with whether expensive or inexpensive, then learn setup,race technique and sportsmanship. Welcome to VTA !!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Find the VTA thread, all the guys there will help if you post there.

I personally run a TC4 tub. Works well. At my track I see TC4's and TC5's along with Xray's. See what parts your local hobby shop carries. It's nice to be able to get parts quickly. Also check the track you're planning on running on, see what they run. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most racers are very helpful.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Initiate

A car is only as good as it's driver.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Thank's for the cautionary tale Evo and Black, too bad I already know that tale and have heard it a thousand times before, I race weekly so I know all the little stories about driver and its not the car and all that crap by many people so thanks anyway.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I race weekly so I know all the little stories about driver and its not the car and all that crap by many people so thanks anyway.
So I take it you intend to disregard the finely crafted advice evo has handed to you. Do you also like to bang your head against hard surfaces? Do you like to touch electric fences?

Its one thing if you just want a nice piece of gear for the class. Its another if you intend to disregard good advice in order to believe a piece of equipment is going to get you a win.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thank's for the cautionary tale Evo and Black, too bad I already know that tale and have heard it a thousand times before, I race weekly so I know all the little stories about driver and its not the car and all that crap by many people so thanks anyway.
If you already race weekly and know and heard all that crap, why would you come and ask what the best car for the class is? You should know the answer already.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Money's no option?

I'd go with a Pro4. They are a little pricey these days compared to when i first bought mine. But the shaft drive is nice and easy to work on.

Get the Havoc 21.5 combo and the Flightmax Zippy 4000mah batteries.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

there have also been a couple of nice Tamiya evo5's in the for sale lately. try one of those.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any price, huh?

I would get either an X-ray 09 or the new Corally Phi. I would also buy 2-3 of them. One for RCGT if your track also runs that class and the others for back up. I would order several tuning and back up parts like spools, arms, diff rebuilds, and sway bars.

I would get the Tekin RS ESC, an SMC 40C battery, Spektrum micro receiver, and a .07 second steering servo.

I would take a class at the local community college about vehicular physics and make friends with all my local fast guys by supplying them with beer and sandwiches.

I would travel to as many tracks as possible.

I would have a lot of fun.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xevias
Any price, huh?

I would get either an X-ray 09 or the new Corally Phi. I would also buy 2-3 of them. One for RCGT if your track also runs that class and the others for back up. I would order several tuning and back up parts like spools, arms, diff rebuilds, and sway bars.

I would get the Tekin RS ESC, an SMC 40C battery, Spektrum micro receiver, and a .07 second steering servo.

I would take a class at the local community college about vehicular physics and make friends with all my local fast guys by supplying them with beer and sandwiches.

I would travel to as many tracks as possible.

I would have a lot of fun.
+1