Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Todd Hodge..aka "Hodgimoto"

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Default Basic info about OneWays

I just bought a one-way for my XXX-S.

I assume from looking at the published setup sheets that one ways are used on large tracks with fast corners primarily asphalt outdoors.

I wonder what specfic changes one should make when switching to a one way.

I have read that they are more difficult to drive, I am worried aobut that because I am just learning how to drive but I thought maybe it was best to work on my driving with the one way installed rather than convert to it later after I got use to one style of driving.

Even thought I do not see any setups for tight carpet tracks which use a one way; is it a problem if you are running on a tight carpet track to have a one way installed?
Old 10-14-2004, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Re: Basic info about OneWays

Originally posted by imjonah
I just bought a one-way for my XXX-S.
Imjonah,

A spool offers a lot of performance...great accelleration out of corners...And is a lot easier to get used to...It does have braking whereas a one-way doesn't.

Pulling the balls out of the front pulley and replacing them with the sandpaper pads is an easy task.

I would say it gets you way beyond halfway towards running a one-way with a lot less hassle.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Randy Caster
So that's what makes you Losi guys so damn fast
With 10676 posts I would think anyone who ever ran a Losi knows Randy! Good Lord!

Brant
Old 10-14-2004, 10:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by POOKYT
With 10676 posts I would think anyone who ever ran a Losi knows Randy! Good Lord!

Brant
And James Nguyen...
Old 10-14-2004, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by XXX-S Bill
And James Nguyen...
DITTO ! Thanks Bill

Brant
Old 10-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

A spool offers a lot of performance...great accelleration out of corners...And is a lot easier to get used to...It does have braking whereas a one-way doesn't.
Am I correct that a one way is primarily for high speed cornering and is most commonly used on outdoor asphalt tracks and not recomended for tight carpet tracks with foam tires.

What exactly is it that makes a one way hard to drive?
The fact that if one is use to a driving s diff that it takes time to adjust or is there something inherently more difficult to drive an one way?

Is it just the loss of half your braking or does braking only on the rear wheels make the car hard to control?
Old 10-15-2004, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Todge
Whats the internal ratio for the new sedan?
Was it design to max. legal width? Just wondering if I'll be able to use my TC3 hex wheel adapters.
thanx 4 reply
Old 10-15-2004, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by imjonah
Am I correct that a one way is primarily for high speed cornering and is most commonly used on outdoor asphalt tracks and not recomended for tight carpet tracks with foam tires.

What exactly is it that makes a one way hard to drive?
The fact that if one is use to a driving s diff that it takes time to adjust or is there something inherently more difficult to drive an one way?

Is it just the loss of half your braking or does braking only on the rear wheels make the car hard to control?
imjonah- Typically, a one way assembly is used to gain steering without sacrificing too much rear bite. A one way will work better in low speed cornering compared to a diff; a spool might have an advantage compared to a one way on track with a lot of high speed/sweeping corners. It depends on the track layout and the available traction. A one way can take some time to get used to driving if you are not familiar with how it feels; you can't drive too hard or too deep into corners, and yes, braking with a one way is also achieved with practice.

I can't imagine wanting to use a one way on a carpet track; usually the correct tire choice can get you the steering/rear bite combo that works well.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by dasupacat
Todge
Whats the internal ratio for the new sedan?
Was it design to max. legal width? Just wondering if I'll be able to use my TC3 hex wheel adapters.
thanx 4 reply
I am 99% sure Todd said that the ratio is the same 1.83. The diff pulleys are the same and the mid pulleys are the same tooth count as the XXXS spur/pulley is now. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Brant
Old 10-16-2004, 05:13 AM
Tech Adept

So ...I wonder if that's a 128T spur on that car.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

I'm pretty sure it is a 128 spur.

Brant
Old 10-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

imjonah

One ways were designed for off throttle cornering. Compairing with all the other types (diff, spool, etc), the big thing you will lack is breaking distance. You will need measurably more braking distance to slow the car down compaired to what the other two would need for the same speed.

Carpet tracks are usually short enough that when a one way is used you end up fighting the braking distance problem more than anything you gain on turn in. You may be able to turn under the guy in the first turn, but in any sharp "s" turn, he will be able to carry more more speed into the late part of the second turn and usually pull ahead. Simply because you had to let off the throttle to make the other tight corner and get the inside lane again, and he was throttle on the whole time.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:51 AM
TLRacing

Hey guys...sorry I have not been around....I have been getting ready for the Hurricane World Championships in Florida.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

LOL
Old 10-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
JRXS

Hey Todd,

Got to see the new car at the show in Chicago this weekend. It's sweet! You guys did a great job. There were so many cool little features that caught my eye that I forgot to look at some of the things I wanted to check out. Can't wait to get my hands on one. I had a question though. On the Losi website it says "Center spool and one-way options." Does the kit come with both in the box? I'm just curious as I was suprised to find a center one-way on the show car. I had not heard anyone talk about that before. If both the one-way and spool center shaft are include, that would be great. If not, will a spool shaft be an option? Good luck to all the Losi guys at Worlds! It looks like you have the car win.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.