R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-04-2004, 08:03 PM   #1231
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Tamiya shock setup for XXX-S

Todd,

I just received the new PRP shock towers for one of my XXX-S cars today and will pickup a set of the Tamiya shocks this week.

Do you have any specifics on how I should setup the shocks on my XXX-S for carpet racing at Stockton? I believe the Losi springs don't work on the Tamiyas; so, I am kind of lost in the areas of mounting points, shock pistons, oil, springs and spacers (droop).

I typically run 27T class. Have one car with a front diff and the other with a spool.

Many thanks.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:15 AM   #1232
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to TeamRoy

Quote:
Originally posted by T. Hodge
LOL....j/k....its all good....so what have you been up too?

How about Brains.....how is that neck doing? I hear he is getting married...is this true???
I'm back doing contract work, but at the same time still looking for a fulltime job. Not having much luck though.

I just spoke to B-rainz yesterday but he didn't mention getting married. He's busy with work and every other weekend he's a babysitter. I've been trying to talk him into racing again, but I think he's afraid of Slobbatech.
TeamRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:34 AM   #1233
Tech Adept

Update, I confronted Brainz about you saying he's getting married and his response was, "That's why we call him Re-Todd".

Old 10-05-2004, 08:24 AM   #1234
TLRacing

XXX-S Bill-I just match what is in my losi shocks to what I put into the Tamiya shocks. The Tamiya shock pistons are a #58 piston so you may have to drill them out to get what you need. As for springs, AE springs work great on the Tamiya shocks. Again I match up the spring rate of what my Losi springs are.

TeamRoy-I think you need to live in a more populated area then finding a job may be easier for you. Yea....I guess I was wrong. One of his E-tard friends was telling me that Brainz is back together with the love of his life and that they were considering marriage.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:26 AM   #1235
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Hey Todd what are you doing up!!
Old 10-05-2004, 08:27 AM   #1236
Tech Elite

How long do you think it will take me to get one of the new RIDES.... VERY NICE ! about time
Old 10-05-2004, 08:29 AM   #1237
Tech Elite

Todd does bill get up this early
Old 10-05-2004, 08:49 AM   #1238
Tech Adept

Are you coming to the Winterfest at planet this year? I heard that Burns is getting some guys from AE to come, we might need some backups!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:15 AM   #1239
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Jared Kirkwood

The problem with Roy's job hunting is that he choose the wrong career path.

He's looking for a job where he only has to show up half the time, doesn't have to do anything while there, and gets to surf the internet all day to make funny jokes against other team drivers. Oh and get's 4 weeks paid vacation a year and the boss thanks it perfectly okay to bill the customer while thinking about the project during the back 9 at the golf course.

He should have went to college to become a computer geek. LOL
Jared Kirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:02 AM   #1240
TLRacing

George-Not sure about Bill...I am sure he does since he has a lot farther to drive than I do. There is no date set yet for the new car.

TeamRoy-I will not be going at all. Maybe someone else from TL??
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:03 AM   #1241
Tech Adept

That's too bad, guess if I want to give you da'wheel, I'll have to go to an onroad race.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:24 PM   #1242
Tech Adept

Todd your on the 3rd page back!!!!!! quiet in here guess everyone got a pic of the new car now they don't have as much to say hahaha just wanted to say WASUP todd
utracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 08:39 AM   #1243
Tech Addict

Default test servo ? test battery with voltmeter?

Is their a way to test if a servo is performing up to spec.

Is it possible to damage a servo or have a servo wear out in such away that it continues to work but is much slower than it should be.

I have a servo which is rated at .15 so it should be relatively fast, since I am somewhat new to this, I am not really sure if it is my slow reactions or the servo is just not performing up to spec.
-------------------------------------
I do not have one of those high end chargers. Is there a technique for using a common voltmeter to do some of those same tests.

When I charge a battery my voltmeter will read something like 8.9 at the begging of the charge and then at the end something like 9.7 each battery is different does tha last number tell me anything. I would think the higher the better since Amps is constant I would think higher volts means less IR or higher volts at end of charge will mean higher volts when used in car.
Could a good voltmeter be used to match individual cells?
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 08:57 AM   #1244
Tech Addict

Default Driving technique steering and speed.

Steering. When driving I will take my fingers off the wheel for a split second and let the spring take the wheel back to center. I was told this is a bad habit and I should always keep my fingers on the wheel. I find if I do that I tend to over correct or I continue to turn just a tiny bit more than I want. If I am doing a quick series of turns I will not release the wheel but as soon as I hit any kind of straight or short shute I will release the wheel so the car will go perfectly straight.
Is this a bad habit, or is this how you drive?

I was told that when runing stock you rarely if ever need brakes.
I find it very difficult to push the trigger past neutral apply brakes and then pull the trigger and give the car just the right amount of throttle.
I have resorted to setting my controller (Airtronics MX3) so the neutral position actually applies some brake (I think this what they call drag brake) I find this helpful in slowing the car down so I do not over shoot corners as much and it seems that when I use it I hit the boards less. I am wondering too if this is a bad habit (I do notice sometimes that the car seems to slow down too much rounding the corner but this just maybe my not getting back on the throttle soon enough)
Finally, is there a best way to hold your transmitter. I see some people hold it very high. I actually have a neck strap and rest the weight of the controller on that so my left hand is not having to support he weight and does not need to grip the transmitter quite so tightly.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 04:05 PM   #1245
Tech Regular

About not having your hand on the wheel when driving. It depends a lot on how you have your steering trims set up. Usually it is a bad habit to let it "snap back to neutral" Simply because of the control loss. Usually if you set the servo throw and sensitivity to mimic your capabilites you won't have to take your hand off the steering to control the car. Having a fast servo is great, as long as you can keep up with it. If not and you have a radio that can adjust how fast the servo moves in relation to turning the wheel (exponential adjusment), use it. The car should be easier to control, and less twitchy.

I've also noticed that sometimes setups that may not be spot on in reguards to equal adjustments on both sides (toe in, camber, and the like) can make the car a little difficult to control on straightaways as well as turning capability. This will increase the tendency to overcorrect yourself while driving.

The best way to hold the transmitter is the one that is most comfortable for you. Kind of like how people play their guitar. Some have it sit lower on them then others. It's not a one size fits all type of adjustment.

RC CarAction's Nov 2004 issue has an article on setting up your radio explaining the adjustments.

Last edited by wcoyote; 10-10-2004 at 04:11 PM.
wcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote