Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Todd Hodge..aka "Hodgimoto"

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default KO Race

Todd, I'll be running mod with you guys in the KO Race next weekend. (I'm dead, I know it. I didn't realize who all was going to be at this race when I sent my entry in. Oh well.) Are you planning on running a spool or a oneway? I'm thinking of running a spool mainly because I know how to drive that track with a spool from running the Reedy race a couple times and practicing there with a 414 with a spool in it. Any setup tips with Tamiya shocks?
Old 08-02-2004, 02:03 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Jon, I spent last Thursday and Friday running (among others) a XXX-S at the Tamiya track for a magazine shootout. We ran CS-27s and the kit parts, so the car had a diff up front. Other than that, I ran the setup from the Reedy Race that Todd posted awhile back, and the car was extremely hooked up. Of the five we tested, it--to me--handled the best by far, though without a one way it didn't have nearly enough steering compared to the other cars that did. I would actually pop a one-way in it if they are legal, I think that would give the best result.

Good luck! Wish I was racing it.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks Shane. I think I'll put a one way in it tonight when I rebuild the car and put that setup on it to start. I just don't want to be over shooting corners that I'm used to being able to brake into.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

HeY!!!

Shane that sound like so much fun... lol.well good luck and don't hurt yourself, over work yourself or have to much fun.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:26 PM
TLRacing

bigtc3fan-It is from Mcmaster.com and I have no idea what size the AE would be.

JoshR85-Email me at [email protected] and I will forward you my setup.

futureall-Booooooo!!

jkerr-i will be starting with a spool since my car was so good at the nats. Tamiya Shocks-Yes, drill out the piston to #56 and use two o-orings behind the bladder. That has worked the best for me.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks. I've looked for different sized Tamiya pistons and cant find them anywhere. Is that something they just don't use as a tuning option or do they just drill out stock ones. Oh and what size is a #56? I can never remember. I may have to come and pick your brain this weekend.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by jkerr0043
Thanks. I've looked for different sized Tamiya pistons and cant find them anywhere. Is that something they just don't use as a tuning option or do they just drill out stock ones. Oh and what size is a #56? I can never remember. I may have to come and pick your brain this weekend.
John, it's a .0465". Racer's Edge sells a set of numbered drill bits from 55-60 for drilling out your pistons. It's like 15 bucks I think.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks James. Any idea what the stock Tamiya pistons are? I just looked and don't have a bit that small and don't have time to get one from Racers edge. I can probably get a set from Sears or something.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks James. Any idea what the stock Tamiya pistons are? I just looked and don't have a bit that small and don't have time to get one from Racers edge. I can probably get a set from Sears or something.
I want to say the stock tamiya ones are like a 58. Sears should have something. Some hobby shops might have them for like models and wood crafts too.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:42 PM
R/C Tech Founder

We did a post-shootout interview on film for an upcoming XRC DVD... as I'm talking about how the cars felt, the guys in the background are saying "Losi lover!" and throwing things at me. haha
Old 08-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

john nearly any ACE Hardware store has numbered drills and they aren't expensive either....
Old 08-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by futureal
Other than that, I ran the setup from the Reedy Race that Todd posted awhile back, and the car was extremely hooked up. Of the five we tested, it--to me--handled the best by far, though without a one way it didn't have nearly enough steering compared to the other cars that did.
I hope you tested the other cars with dialed Reedy Race setups
Old 08-04-2004, 08:41 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks guys.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Shane, you are just an appealing target. lol
Old 08-04-2004, 10:45 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally posted by rtypec
I hope you tested the other cars with dialed Reedy Race setups
Yup, that's exactly what we did. Out of nine cars, all but one manufacturer gave us a good setup for the track. We each ran each car three times with a 10 single; the first run was always in kit form, the second and third runs were with the given setups.

Purely, uh, scientific.

The major restriction was that the cars had to be run in kit form with no hop-ups or outside parts other than spring, caster and toe changes. That meant no black belt and no one-way for the Losi.

The TC3 won the shaft-drive part of the shootout, that issue should be hitting stands now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.