R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-30-2004, 04:42 PM   #916
Tech Addict

Default low roll center 0r pivot block

On one of your setup sheets, it shows on the rear the use of the 0r Pivot block along with the low roll center blocks. When I tried that on my XXX-S (not graphite) chasis the hinge pin has at least a 5 degree angle with the bottom of the chasis. Am I doing something wrong?

I do not see anything on the setup sheet that says whether the front or back pivot blocks are in the upper or lower holes.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 05:05 PM   #917
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Re: low roll center 0r pivot block

Quote:
Originally posted by imjonah
On one of your setup sheets, it shows on the rear the use of the 0r Pivot block along with the low roll center blocks. When I tried that on my XXX-S (not graphite) chasis the hinge pin has at least a 5 degree angle with the bottom of the chasis. Am I doing something wrong?

I do not see anything on the setup sheet that says whether the front or back pivot blocks are in the upper or lower holes.
Usually when a setup sheet calls for Low roll center in the rear, the rear-most suspension mount (0R in this case) should be mounted in the lower set of holes in the diff cover unless otherwise noted in the setup.

Also, note that the 0R block can be put on two different ways... if you put it on upside down (frowning) you will get 4 degrees of antisquat... to get 0 degrees of kick it must be facing upwards (smiling)
Old 07-30-2004, 05:07 PM   #918
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: low roll center 0r pivot block

Quote:
Originally posted by Evicerator
Usually when a setup sheet calls for Low roll center in the rear, the rear-most suspension mount (0R in this case) should be mounted in the lower set of holes in the diff cover unless otherwise noted in the setup.

Also, note that the 0R block can be put on two different ways... if you put it on upside down (frowning) you will get 4 degrees of antisquat... to get 0 degrees of kick it must be facing upwards (smiling)

\____/
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 05:10 PM   #919
The Evicerator

Thank you Mr Dawson...

To all of you who don't know Mark, he's the head artist over at Pixar, as exemplified by his wonderful rendering of the OR block above...
Old 07-30-2004, 05:14 PM   #920
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Evicerator
Thank you Mr Dawson...

To all of you who don't know Mark, he's the head artist over at Pixar, as exemplified by his wonderful rendering of the OR block above...
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 09:48 PM   #921
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by MDawson
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
That's gotta be teeth then...

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:27 PM   #922
Tech Master

HeY!!!

Whats up Todd??? would you have the time to give me your setup from your 19t car from the "us touring car championships" sponsored by novak from trackside??? i just got a losi xxx-s g+ and gonna start running foam again and i'm gonna try pauls snowbird setup and i would also like to have yours just to try out also while it's summer. i would really appreciate this.
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:49 PM   #923
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Todd & Matt are busy kicking some Canuck butt in ther parking lot series up north...
Old 07-30-2004, 11:04 PM   #924
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
Todd & Matt are busy kicking some Canuck butt in ther parking lot series up north...
Is Shane coming to the Losi race at Speedworld?

Old 07-31-2004, 09:02 AM   #925
Tech Addict

Default thanks, one more thing left out of manual

Quote:
I do appreciate the info.

How would I know to mount in the lower holes unless I asked someone like you?
Maybe it is buried somewhere in the manual which I have read dozens of times.
-------------------------------------------------------
I find most RC manuals totally inadequate. The manuals to my MX-3 transmitter for example are just barely adequate to set up the radio. Airtronics web site is next to worthless.
The Losi manual tries, but the more you get into the fine points of setting up the car the more questions you have which are unanswered by the manual.

It has taken me 3 months to figure out what everything on the setup sheet means and still their are ambiguities. (like the positioning of the pivot blocks top holes or bottom holes)

What I still find lacking and in short supply is advice and recommendations for the new racer. A majority of the sample setup sheets feature one ways and mod motors neither of which are relevant to the average driver.

I would guess their is a setup profile which would make the car much easier to drive for the beginner, but would sacrifice speed for control and thus not be any good for the pro diver. I would guess there is a way to set up the exponential and other functions on my MX-3 which would make it much easier for me to learn with; What those settings are I can only guess.

It my guess that since I have to take my corners pretty slow or I lose control that a motor with torque and a bit lower gearing would help.
Your essay on car setup was one of the most helpful things I have read, but it still was more focused on the expert and assumed the reader was pretty knowledgeable and experienced also.
I know it might take a lot of work but a setup sheet that focused on ease of control for the novice driver, that was also annotated showing exactly where on the chassis the adjustment were made, any gotchas (I do not think you can do the move up and flip trick with steering on a non graphite XXX-S), and if possible a simple way to measure things like toe in and camber.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 12:05 PM   #926
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by XXX-S Bill
Is Shane coming to the Losi race at Speedworld?
I won't be making it to that one, unfortunately. We (xrc) are moving into a new building and I'm the one and only IT guy, who gets to completely wire the new building for the network and set up the servers. I'll be spending most of August and September on that project!
Old 07-31-2004, 07:17 PM   #927
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
I won't be making it to that one, unfortunately. We (xrc) are moving into a new building and I'm the one and only IT guy, who gets to completely wire the new building for the network and set up the servers. I'll be spending most of August and September on that project!
Geeze...No Shane and No Randy...What is this world coming to?

Old 07-31-2004, 07:21 PM   #928
Tech Champion

Default Re: thanks, one more thing left out of manual

Quote:
Originally posted by imjonah
I do appreciate the info.

How would I know to mount in the lower holes unless I asked someone like you?
Maybe it is buried somewhere in the manual which I have read dozens of times.
You are absolutely right imjonah. There is a fairly steep learning curve to deal with; but, your well worded questions will get you there in quick order. Enjoy the ride...

Old 07-31-2004, 10:51 PM   #929
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by XXX-S Bill
Geeze...No Shane and No Randy...What is this world coming to?
I believe Randy is coming.
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:00 AM   #930
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by James Nguyen
I believe Randy is coming.
Hi James,

After the race date was changed, he said that he had to work on the Labor Day weekend.