R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-11-2004, 05:47 PM   #451
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ah, I see. Another spray is VHT. It's a porpose made traction spray. Not sure what it's made of but it's got this super sweet chemical smell to it. And when you walk across a track that's been sprayed with it, you can hear your shoes sticking to it. I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff the NHRA puts @ the starting line. Nothing like the smell of VHT @ 6:30 for a parkinglot race.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 10:08 PM   #452
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

From the VHT website...I didn't know any of this...Now, all we need is for someone to post the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for this stuff?

VHT TRACKBITE SP-162 is an exclusive consumer formulation designed to offer controlled traction for competition drag racing. VHT TrackBite is a liquid track treatment, which improves traction by means of adhesion and does not soften tires nor the track surface as other imitation products may. SP-162 is packaged in a one gallon bottle.
VHT TRACKBITE CONCENTRATE, SP-163 has been engineered to withstand the torture of commercial drag strip use. Packaged in a 54 gallon drum, this formula is a quick setting liquid surface treatment, specifically designed to withstand the high-temperatures of prolonged exposure to the sun's heat and repeated use of professional and sportsman drag cars. VHT TrackBite Concentrate SP-163 additionally is an excellent sealer for newly ground and/or resurfaced tracks. Used extensively at IHRA and NHRA sanctioned tracks. Will not harm asphalt or concrete surfaces as other imitation products will.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:03 AM   #453
TLRacing

jkerr043-I ran a spool last year. I think by using a 41T front pulley may give you the turn in you are looking for with the spool.

Rice-If you are using a 90T spur and running four minute racing then a 19 or 20 will work fine. If it is 5 minute racing then you may have to go with a 18/90. Normally at Socal with a 128 Spur I gear 28 but they only run 4 minutes.

Guys-Isn't VHT kind of expensive??
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:23 AM   #454
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

best stuff is straight cordial mixed with metholated spirits (to make it dry quickly) try this on clean polished concrete, once meto dries and cars have run on it a bit the traction is awesome for foams. works on asphalt with foams too.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:52 PM   #455
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

We looked into VHT but it just didn't make sense when we could get perfectly fine traction out of Mountain Dew. I'll say it again: to anybody serious about running a parking lot series, this is the magic combination:

1) seal the lot every 2 years ($300-400 for a typically sized racing surface)
2) use a Billy Goat Blower ($600 new) to blow off the track
3) use garden sprayers to put down about 10-12 2L bottles of Mountain Dew in the run line ($20 per week)

With that combination, you will never be hurting for traction. Obviously not everybody can be that serious, but after a lot of experimentation we could not ask for a better racing surface. And best of all, most lot owners will be quite happy when you offer to come out and re-seal their lot for free; others might even pay for the sealant if you are doing the work for free.

I should note that the air temperature went between 75* and 95* during our various events last year with this setup, and even at the lower end of that, there was still plenty of bite.

The sealant is not essential but it really helps tire wear, especially on nitro cars and foam tires.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:58 AM   #456
Tech Regular

Well I just ordered my XXX-S G+, and should be getting it around Tuesday/Wednesday. Can't wait. And I found oout the other day about an outdoor asphalt R/C track not far away from me. It's near a friends house. So sounds like I may not need the park afterall..I'm going to give them a call today.
wcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:46 AM   #457
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
best stuff is straight cordial mixed with metholated spirits (to make it dry quickly) try this on clean polished concrete, once meto dries and cars have run on it a bit the traction is awesome for foams. works on asphalt with foams too.
rubbers dont work too well, foams trued down to a felt strip on plastic will last FOREVER as in ZERO tyre wear. i couldnt beleive it. maybe youguys should try it one day, just for fun. As a tip run a set of tyres during the practice as they pick up alot of the crap oof the track. after the practice is over and the track is fully dried, the tyres will come off 100% clean.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:19 PM   #458
Tech Champion

Hi Todd,

I assume that you are using ceramic bearings in your cars.

Are you also using ceramic diff and thrust balls?

My application is Sportsman Stock using diffs on the front and rear of my XXX-S.

Many thanks.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:39 AM   #459
TLRacing

wcoyote-Right on...have fun!!

XXX-SBill-Yes I do use the ceramic bearings in my car. I use Losi standard diff balls and thrust assemblies that I get from McMaster-Carr.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:46 AM   #460
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by T. Hodge
jkerr043-I ran a spool last year. I think by using a 41T front pulley may give you the turn in you are looking for with the spool.

Rice-If you are using a 90T spur and running four minute racing then a 19 or 20 will work fine. If it is 5 minute racing then you may have to go with a 18/90. Normally at Socal with a 128 Spur I gear 28 but they only run 4 minutes.

Guys-Isn't VHT kind of expensive??

bro thanks for the info. were running 5 mins. il try 18/90 this combination is safe? doesnt over gear or undergear the motor?
rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:55 PM   #461
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Todd....pm'd ya.
Randy Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 02:40 PM   #462
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Happy Birthday Todd
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 05:21 PM   #463
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Is it Todd's Birthday!? Happy Birthday Todd.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 05:52 PM   #464
Tech Champion

Just look at Todd's profile for his April 18, 1974 birthdate.

That boy be 30...I wonder if this means that we can't trust him any longer? He might start keeping some of his secrets.

Happy birthday, Todd!

Bill
Age 56...he, he...

Old 04-18-2004, 06:18 PM   #465
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by T. Hodge
XXX-SBill-Yes I do use the ceramic bearings in my car. I use Losi standard diff balls and thrust assemblies that I get from McMaster-Carr.
Todd,

Do you have a preference for a ceramic bearing supplier?

Happy Birthday again!