R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default how can i check the weight balance on my car.. help!

hi, im trying to find out how can i check the weight balance on my car , im trying to make sure its balanced like not one side weighs more than the other .. is there a way to do this .. please help .. ideas and comments. im trying to race this sunday.
capturefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Default balance

what type of car are you trying to balance may help you get some replys
CRC Gen XL / Xray 09 , t2r pro / CW sprint and CW rocket / Kyosho evolva m3 / Tekin rs / Futaba 4pks / Trinity / Dirtburners thanks Bill / 1/8th racers of Toledo / Trex chassi / Summit Race way / Stateline
LAZER SPEEDWAY where all else IS just a parking lot / Hobby Stop West Raceway
2056dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...884d3411a1137b

or hang from string between the two balancing holes on the car (if it has them)
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2056dennis View Post
what type of car are you trying to balance may help you get some replys
oh its a hpi e10 .. im just starting off and trying to work with what i got cant really afford the expensive ones.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Tech Addict

I bought 4 small scales, Just stick one under each wheel.

Don't know how scientific it is, But it made me sell my Durga in disgust.
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by capturefx View Post
oh its a hpi e10 .. im just starting off and trying to work with what i got cant really afford the expensive ones.
does it have two small holes drilled on the centerline of the chassis? one near the front and one near the rear?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
does it have two small holes drilled on the centerline of the chassis? one near the front and one near the rear?
I have to check when i get home, if it does its good news but if it doesnt i might have to drill one . how big of a hole should i drill . and is it in front of the wheels or behind?? , any ideas where i should drill??
Old 07-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
Tech Adept

i say put on right in the center of the car but that is a little hard to do on most cars. but i would just get 4 small scales and do it that way, it will get with in .01 i bet. use a fishing wights to make shear the scales say the same thing then have at it.
duratrax evader ext 6600kv motor, eZrun 60A SL ESC
vintage traxxas hawk 11t custom motor, 30A blaster ESC
shinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Quote:
I have to check when i get home, if it does its good news but if it doesnt i might have to drill one . how big of a hole should i drill . and is it in front of the wheels or behind?? , any ideas where i should drill??
drilling yourself and getting it perfectly on the centerline might be tough. anywhere in the front and rear on the centerline will work if you can get it right on the center. the smaller the hole the better. it needs to be tiny. like 1mm.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Don't drill anything cause it won't be perfectly centered. If you must, find two screws on the bottom of the car that are in the center. Remove those screws and set your chassis atop an extra pair of outdrives by poking them into the countersunk screw holes. If the chassis is balanced, it should be able to stand on it's own. If not, add more weight to the light side...

BTW: Is it better to add 3oz on the outside of the battery, or 5oz in front and behind the battery to balance a car? I find with my orion 2400, I can save 40% of the weight by strapping the weights to the outer edge of the battery. We have no weight limits out here...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A cheap way to make your own balancer is to just use a Great Planes finger prop balancer. Part GPMQ5000. Costs like 3-4 dollars at most hobby stores. It is usually in the Great Planes hardware section in most shops. Just cut the middle threaded rod in half, then put a little blue loctite on the threads, screw it down with the point up and your done. Almost the same color as Tamiya blue YAY!

I use this first to balance my cars, then afterwards I use 4 digital scales to fine tune the balance front to back. Probably not totally needed, but hey...attention to detail counts. Here is a pic, goodluck.
Attached Thumbnails
how can i check the weight balance on my car.. help!-resize-propb.jpg  
Old 07-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

You can buy 4 small digital food scales on aBay for about $6-$7 each. Put one under each wheel. That's how they check weight balance on full sized race cars.

I have future plans of purchasing scales and doing same thing myself......
active_sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

i got home late this evening and i rushed to my rc car, flipped it over and to my surprise i found 3 pin holes lined up in the center ( great job hpi), two in the front and one in the rear i was like damn this thing does have balancing holes, before i got home i was at work ( at the car dealer) trying to rig up a balancing stand .. i used a self tapping screw flipped it upside down and used a cut off wheel as a base and super glued it together.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

its not perfect because the tip of the screws, its still a little big but it works( i suggest using thinner screws) and as soon as i got the car on it , it immeadiately leaned to the battery side until the weels touched the table so i just kept adding stick on weights on the opposite side of the battery until i could keep the car leveled. and walah!

I JUST WANTED TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THERE HELP HERE, IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN ME DAYS TO FIGURE THIS OUT WITHOUT EVERYONES HELP . im going to start racing at the track this sunday i figured i'll start with the club racing class before i go to stock class. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE . WISH ME LUCK.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

The tc5 has both the wholes in the chassis and the shock towers. Is there an advantage to using either one?

I just use two small allen wrenches and pick the car up with them through both shock tower holes and move my lipo accordingly. My local tracks don't check for weight so I don't add any.

--pakk
Old 07-09-2009, 01:58 AM   #15
Tech Champion

One thing to keep in mind is to make sure you use the balancers on a flat and level surface, otherwise it won't work correctly. Glad it worked out!