Wiki Posts
Search

Opinions on TC's

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Opinions on TC's

I currently have a FTTC4 for my carpet car. I been thinking recently i would like to upgrade to something more current . Im thinking getting a 5r or a mi-3.5 . Which of the two is the better car & are they really that much better than a FTTC4 ?. I would be racing rubber tire on carpet . Thank you
Old 07-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by hippie
are they really that much better than a FTTC4? I would be racing rubber tire on carpet . Thank you
Ummm, Yes.

Just about any current Touring Car would be better than a TC4, not to mention, the parts are getting a little scarce. That's not what you want during race day and you broke the last Arm or Steering Block in stock.

If you are hesitant about the cost of a new car, pick up a used Xray T2 '007/'008. I would frown against the Schumacher since most hobby shops don't carry the parts, so this is an almost guaranteed mail-internet-only-parts car. Check with your local hobby shop and club to find out what they are racing, and what the hobby shop stocks parts for. This is the best way to get going in the right track from the start instead of being frustrated from a lack of racer and parts support.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by kn7671
Ummm, Yes.

Just about any current Touring Car would be better than a TC4, not to mention, the parts are getting a little scarce. That's not what you want during race day and you broke the last Arm or Steering Block in stock.

If you are hesitant about the cost of a new car, pick up a used Xray T2 '007/'008. I would frown against the Schumacher since most hobby shops don't carry the parts, so this is an almost guaranteed mail-internet-only-parts car. Check with your local hobby shop and club to find out what they are racing, and what the hobby shop stocks parts for. This is the best way to get going in the right track from the start instead of being frustrated from a lack of racer and parts support.

Acctually schumacher USA is only 30 minutes from my house . which is better for carpet the TC5r or the schumacher mi-3.5 ?.

Last edited by hippie; 07-02-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I wouldn't say one is better then the other. There both capable of doing well on carpet with rubber tires.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I am going to recommend what I always recommend. Get what ever has the best support. Support from both your LHS and other racers. You really can't go wrong if you base your decision on that.

--pakk
Old 07-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

No offense KN7671, but Xray availability sucks. There retail buy in is to high for most small hobby shops to swing, so they just stay away.

For me its about Hot Bodies Cyclone (What I run) Shumacher MI4 or Top Photon. All of those cars have sorta shady parts availability since Hot Bodies parts are scarce, and some hobby shops are not signed up to get Shumacher or Top.

But if Shumacher is close to you Hippie, why not go that route. You can get parts easy then, and thats always nice

Honestly, get a car, and have fun with it
Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thank you guys for your opinions.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

the tc5r, part support is awesome and the car doesnt break. i hit quite a few walls hard and nothing. what i heard is that the 3.5 breaks alot but thats what i HEARD. and also it has a great price tag on it.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Suspended

tc5r doesn't break parts, the softer suspension components just flex in a crash as i've found out, when i put standard tc5 c-hubs on they broke quite easily when i hit something.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nick Priest
tc5r doesn't break parts, the softer suspension components just flex in a crash as i've found out, when i put standard tc5 c-hubs on they broke quite easily when i hit something.
then those must have the ones shared with the tc5f, the hard suspension parts. i run those because they are slightly smoother and i dont hit walls like i used to.
the tc5r is very hard to break.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Suspended

I believe the above mentioned belt cars are all the same in performance... If you want the next best thing wait for the AWESOMATIX to come out!!! It's the evolution of the shaft cars, and it has beaten everybody else in Prostock by miles in Russia and Finland against Xray T2s, tamiya416w etc... !!! All I own now are TC4s and I would not give them up for any these aforementioned TCs. I actually am surprised that Team Associated gave up their shaft designs for the TC5: they should have stuck to the TC3 that put them up there. DIGGITY DESIGNS just came out with their tc4 upgrade, the XLR8 version2 for only $165 that could probably put a spanking on all the belt contenders, without having to worry about drivetrain maintenance, and all the hassle that come with running belts. SHAFT IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertran
without having to worry about drivetrain maintenance, and all the hassle that come with running belts. SHAFT IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!
Thats a bit over done

shaft drive and gears are more maintenance then belts by far IMO
Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

well i have both. i have a tc5 and an hpi pro4 and i love them both. they are diffrent to driver but both put down good lap times. the only main diffrence i see is that the tc5 turns better and thats about it
Old 07-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertran
I believe the above mentioned belt cars are all the same in performance... If you want the next best thing wait for the AWESOMATIX to come out!!! It's the evolution of the shaft cars, and it has beaten everybody else in Prostock by miles in Russia and Finland against Xray T2s, tamiya416w etc... !!! All I own now are TC4s and I would not give them up for any these aforementioned TCs. I actually am surprised that Team Associated gave up their shaft designs for the TC5: they should have stuck to the TC3 that put them up there. DIGGITY DESIGNS just came out with their tc4 upgrade, the XLR8 version2 for only $165 that could probably put a spanking on all the belt contenders, without having to worry about drivetrain maintenance, and all the hassle that come with running belts. SHAFT IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!
The car you are pushing:

- has no parts availability
- has no track record as a manufacturer
- likely will not be within his budget
- exists only in prototype form today
- is not mainstream by any means and will not be anytime soon

Hence probably not the best choice, depsite your being very excited about this new chassis.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:19 AM
Tech Champion

Without trying to sound blunt, the only person who knows which car is best for them is the one who will be racing with it.

The tc5 may be a better option as you will have the correct size allen drivers to use on it.

But as said before, I would look out as to what is stocked well locally in case you need parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.