R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I will save you time and money. Go with an Xray008 or 009. I've run the TC5R and the Xray from an Engineering standpoint is a lot better built. Trust me I've built a ton of kits over the last 20 years and hands down after building an Xray kit this week, the quality is unbelievable compared with all other car manufacturers. If your worried about parts order from Nexus Racing they are getting me parts within 2 to 3 days on the Westcoast and there on the Eastcoast. Order a set of spare arms, uprights, and rear carriers and you should be fine if you break.
RSTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:28 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertran View Post
they should have stuck to the TC3 that put them up there. DIGGITY DESIGNS just came out with their tc4 upgrade, the XLR8 version2 for only $165 that could probably put a spanking on all the belt contenders, without having to worry about drivetrain maintenance, and all the hassle that come with running belts. SHAFT IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!
Are you smoking something? When they come out with a shaft car that allows you to get to a diff without disassembling half the car, then maybe you can make that remark. Belt cars are almost plug and play with many parts...shaft, way more mechanical. And take it from me, belt is much smoother AND adjustable. I have argued people to the ground in this belt vs shaft thing....dont resurrect a losing battle...it makes you look like a real NOOB.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:25 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Shaft drive does work well in stock or maybe superstock due to the rotating mass giving it inertia to keep rotating while in a turn, but in mod or anything 10.5 and less the belt is the only way to go. Even in 13.5 the belt just drive on power through the corner better, a shaft will coast more.

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #34
Suspended

First of all, the AWESOMATIX has not been released yet, so we will have to wait for it to prove itself for sure, but Ivan Laptev(the Russian champion) was running a Tamiya 416we before switching to the AWESOMATIX, and in his first few runs with the prototype was 0.2s per lap faster,without much tuning at all !!! It probably could be even faster!!! No PRO switches from one car to the next for no reason!!! I agree that they need to test it more in the modified class, but the majority of racers rarely run MOD!!! Just from an engineering standpoint, the 416we(and the likes) don't stand a chance!!! At first glance the AWESOMATIX looks like it's missing a lot of heavy parts( shocks and springs ,shock towers,etc...). It's as if all the parts we were accustomed to dissappeared! Imagine if you raced it at club level, where they don't weigh cars; that's a huge advantage!!! Other racers would want your car tech'd at every turn!!! It's like racing an F1 against a GT car!!! As far as I am concerned, the other manufacturers better radically improve their cars or they will be left in the dust...............................
bertran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #35
Tech Elite

I've seen quite a few big name racers switch cars, and not due to performance of the car, it was for a better deal or for a friend in need of a hot shot to propel their product. I personally went faster going from a TC3 to a X-Ray T1. But I also went slower going from a T-1 to a Corally Phi. Then went back to X-Ray T2's now every since. So to me going from 1 car to the next don't mean a thing, if you are a top level racer you can wheel a brick with donuts and still beat 90% of the racers at the track.
I don't want to knock the new car, but heck it isn't the cats ass "yet".
And personally I think the name needs a lot more work than the car AWSOMATIX sounds like a character Cartman made up in South Park!

Old 07-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #36
Suspended

If I can wheel a brick with donuts and be 0.2s faster than an X-ray T1 or T2, I will take the wheel with donuts, whatever name they give it!!! Admitting any wheel with donuts could beat a (T1/T2) is all the more reason NOT to get one, or anything similar!!!! Last I checked, manufacturers have a right to call their product whatever they want, even if they are Russians!!! STOP HATING, IF YOU CAN.........................................
Old 07-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
If I can wheel a brick with donuts and be 0.2s faster than an X-ray T1 or T2, I will take the wheel with donuts, whatever name they give it!!! Admitting any wheel with donuts could beat a (T1/T2) is all the more reason NOT to get one, or anything similar!!!! Last I checked, manufacturers have a right to call their product whatever they want, even if they are Russians!!! STOP HATING, IF YOU CAN.........................................
If you would stop virtually RAMMING the car down our mouths, maybe we would give it a chance. But you are trying to hard, making it all look stupid to most of us.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'd be running an X-ray if my LHS carries part for it, it's a very good car.
cheehtae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #39
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Dude you re scary..
Next thing you know yo ure gonna be telling us about crazy no-turn 14v motors making the shaft car super driveable or something..
Patriiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #40
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Bottom line is like I mentioned before until this car actually does something at a major race like the Worlds or a big race that people around the world know about all the BS you are posting means absolutely nothing and has zero credability to any of us racers.

Come post all your BS when you have a leg to stand on as of right now you have nothing!!!!!!!!!!!

Look I like shaft cars but right now they are just not as easy to drive overall as a belt car. If this so called Russian company thinks they figured it out thats cool because if they did they will be able to show up at a MAJOR WORLD WIDE race that racers actually know of and lay it down.

Let me know when this happens and the rest of use touring drivers because right now it is imaginary at this point.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I always love reading these threads. So much angst.

Anyway, here's what I have learned about this being in the hobby for almost a whopping 2 whole years. I don't know much, but this is personal experience.

1) What are the fast guys at your place running? Notice I don't say what is everyone else running. If you need setup help, a guy that's slower than you isn't going to be much help.
2) Can you afford the fast guy's cars - and the parts bills that go along with that chassis? Xray, Corally, Tamiya and some others will have a steep parts bill. Don't ever listen when people say this mfr or that mfr's stuff doesn't break. If its plastic it breaks and if its metal it bends. period.
3) LHS support. I know you might be close to Schumacher USA, but that still means you have to carry a large inventory in your bag and that is not cheap. Worse yet, if you just happen to break what you don't have then what?

That's just what I have learned from personal experience. I have no pretense of telling you what car is best. I don't know.

I built and have raced a TC5 for 1 1/2 seasons with excellent results. Parts are available at most tracks and they are good in a cost comparison basis.

Village Idiot Racing - Now accepting driver applications.
mikel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #42
Suspended

I am sure the AWESOMATIX will be winning big races with top competition in the near future, and until it does you guys will ALWAYS be skeptical!!! Sound Engineering is what I look for, and not what everybody else has! Have some FAITH!!! MAN,WHY DO YOU DOUBT?????????????????
Old 07-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
I am sure the AWESOMATIX will be winning big races with top competition in the near future, and until it does you guys will ALWAYS be skeptical!!! Sound Engineering is what I look for, and not what everybody else has! Have some FAITH!!! MAN,WHY DO YOU DOUBT?????????????????
We doubt because we've seen this type of hype for a hundred different cars that ended up not being all their cracked up to be. Faith is for religion not racing!
Proof, is what is needed. Until then I will still keep racing my T2 and newer proven cars. And doing quite well with them too! And if you are looking for sound engineering why are you looking to reinvent the wheel? Don't you think the designers of the most popular cars out right now would be drooling over this car if it was soo great? Wouldn't someone in China already copy it? Are you the designer? Do you have a engineering degree to understand something about this car that no one else does? Or are you just trying to hype a car that you have shares in?

Old 07-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Quote:
And just to set you straight, it is DRIVER not the car I was pertaining to. A good DRIVER can wheel anything, if this Russian driver was winning with his Tamiya, then yes he can win with any car.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #45
Suspended

It would seem that you guys have shares with X-rays and the likes, or maybe because of the 'USA' tag some carry!!! What's up with the Chinese bashing bro !!! Have more respect!!! Or is it because you realized your mistake getting a T2 too soon!!! You will want your money back as soon as the AWESOMATIX come out !!!The RC community is full of you doubters, followers, people who can't make up their own minds, and want to be told what to do all the time!!! So was the case when the lipos were coming out,and everyone of you doubters were saying " it will never be ROAR approved..etc..), forgetting about the evolution of batteries!!! You have lost your money then, and will lose your money again when the AWESOMATIX come out; I guess Martin Hudy has TELL YOU to get an AWESOMATIX before you can follow suit.........AWESOMATIX all the way baby......................