R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Associated RC 12R5 info

Hi all,
a local club down here is starting an indoor carpet track. i want to run 1/12 pan car and have decided on the RC12R5. just wanted to ask a few questions.

1.) Where are people getting batteries from? are you using single cells and making your own packs, or can you buy 4 cell '2x2' saddle packs already made.

2.) What bodies fit the associated? are all pan bodies the same?

3.) Do brushless motors bolt straight into this model, or do i have to get a different rear section or something?

sorry about all the questions, just want to get it all right before i buy the car.

Thanks
Alex
HaraR40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaraR40 View Post
Hi all,
a local club down here is starting an indoor carpet track. i want to run 1/12 pan car and have decided on the RC12R5. just wanted to ask a few questions.

1.) Where are people getting batteries from? are you using single cells and making your own packs, or can you buy 4 cell '2x2' saddle packs already made.

2.) What bodies fit the associated? are all pan bodies the same?

3.) Do brushless motors bolt straight into this model, or do i have to get a different rear section or something?

sorry about all the questions, just want to get it all right before i buy the car.

Thanks
Alex
1. We run LiPo 1 cell at my local track and were all using the SMC 4000 25c pack at the moment. Stormer would be my first place to look if I were to get a new pack. I will mention though that there are other packs available or will be available in the near future that will or do have more capacity and a better C rating. You might even be able to find a nice deal on some used SMC 1 cell 4000 25 c packs once everyone starts swapping over to the bigger/better cells getting ready for Vegas . . .

2. I would start with a Protoform Speed12 or a Parma Speed 8 HD. You can also try a Black Art Audio R8C. All will fit the 12r5. Most 12th bodies that we use nowadays to race with look very similar at first glance. The differences are in the details.

3. BL motors will fit and work just fine in the 12r5 as it comes out of the box. Associated does offer a wider pod that is advertised as centering the BL motors for better balance, but in my experience the biggest draw was the extra couple of mm in clearance when getting the motor in and out and room for the sensor wires to plug in. Definitely not a must have.
If you have any other questions jump into the Associated 12R5 thread and you'll be likely to get more responses.

I think the AE car is great kit. You can't go wrong.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote