R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default TA05 vs TB03 - Time to decide

So I'm looking at picking up my first on-road racer for running in unprepared parking lots. Ultimately, I'll probably go brushless as I tend to get bored with brushed electrics.

It's New Mexico, so there tends to be a lot of sand and small pebbles where my friends and I race around. At the end of a parking lot run, my stadium truck will have collected several pebbles and rocks. The issues are these:

Will pebbles and junk jam/tear up the belt drive in a TA05?

Will I hate the torque steer in a TB03 if I go to brushless and lipos?

Thoughts or advice?
bluesxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Tech Master

Pebbles will destroy the pulleys. I get stones in mine from time to time and race on a track, a carpark would create havoc!
Go for the shaft and feel comfortable knowing nothing will get in there.
There will be toque steer, apparently, but i'd say it won't be a big deal for carpark racing. The TB is of course on of Tamiya's newest cars, and I doubt they would release a car these days that would yank to the side every time you hit the gas! Just maybe leave that 2.5 turn brushless out of it for now
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

go with tb-03 sealed trans and gears will help. if you using stock spec (10.5 13.5 17.5 21.5) brushless motors there will be no problem
Phat-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I recommend the TB03 as well. I haven't gotten mine yet, but I do own a evo 5 ms so I do run a Tamiya shaft car. Shaft drive is the way to go in my opinion for stock motors. Especially so if you have a aggressive driving style or like instant accelleration when you pull the trigger. TA05 is a little smoother going for most when getting on the throttle because the belts take some of the snap away. If you get a TB03 and it gets loose when you throttle it in the middle of a turn, just add a little - exp to the throttle or just smooth out your trigger finger. I personally like the feel and use that to my advantage when I need to make the car rotate a little harder on tight tracks. If your car is setup right and the chassis is sorted you will not have torque steer. The only time I have ever seen torque steer on my evo is when I put a 4 turn SP motor in it. It would shift about 6 in from a dead stop but was insanely fast

They are both very nice cars, but like others have said, in the environment you plan on racing it in TB03 all the way
Old 06-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

I had a TB-03, raced it a few times, then sold it and got a TA-05 IFS - which works great. I just couldn't stand the torque steer of the TB-03. BUT, if you race in a less than clean track, little pebbles and stones will eat up your gears and belt. So TB-03 is the way to go.
bw762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

id go with the TA05... hate having to change crown and pinion gears on the diff everytime i hit a wall (or get hit)...
Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooPH View Post
id go with the TA05... hate having to change crown and pinion gears on the diff everytime i hit a wall (or get hit)...
I have to disagree with you on durability of the drive train of the current Tamiya shaft drive cars. The evolution 3 had some problems like you described but that was related to diff case housing flex and a thinner more flexible crown gear that was used in that model evolution. Evo4, Evo5/tb03 all use a revised design that works very well and is dependable. I have used 17.5, 13.5 and even a 4 turn on my evo and I am still on the original drivetrain parts and I race it at 2 different tracks, 2 times a week. If anyone breaks internal gears on the newer cars, they shimmed/built there drivetrain wrong.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmie View Post
I have to disagree with you on durability of the drive train of the current Tamiya shaft drive cars. The evolution 3 had some problems like you described but that was related to diff case housing flex and a thinner more flexible crown gear that was used in that model evolution. Evo4, Evo5/tb03 all use a revised design that works very well and is dependable. I have used 17.5, 13.5 and even a 4 turn on my evo and I am still on the original drivetrain parts and I race it at 2 different tracks, 2 times a week. If anyone breaks internal gears on the newer cars, they shimmed/built there drivetrain wrong.
good to hear that you're not having problems. unfortunately i already replaced some gears on mine... not too good for me considering i was only running a Tamiya GT Tuned (25T) motor running the box-stock FDR and Tamiya 1800 NiCd batteries...
Old 06-29-2009, 01:55 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Ta05 is indeed prone to getting rubbish in the gear mesh. It happened to me running indoors on carpet to get a minute grain of dust in the gears and the car started wheezing like a plane in freefall and lost all speed. I finished the race having been caught up by the field but I thought I had destroyed something serious. When I found the speck of dust I was relieved, but could not believe how small it was. On the other hand I run 64 pitch gears. All's well and the gears didn't suffer at all, but it was an important lesson. I have covered the bottom hole with some sticky tape now and did not have any other problems. Perhaps in the future if it happens again I will think about using the gear cover that comes in the kit too.

Never had problems with the belts/pulleys but I think it's easy to get dirt, dust or any kind of crap squashed in the pulleys under the belt. Torn belts? I don't think it will happen easily.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:56 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If it's for carpark bashing, definitely go for the TB03.

I have two TA05s, one is for the track only and the other is for bashing. The pinion and spur on the basher gets a pounding. The teeth look like... a 60 year old who hasnt brushed their teeth for 60 years - which means it's time for me to change them, and that's approximately after 2 runs.

For the track I'd go with the TA05.
rnd_tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. The TB-03 is on the way (NSX body). No promises, but I'm going to try to do a detailed writeup of the build.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesxman View Post
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. The TB-03 is on the way (NSX body). No promises, but I'm going to try to do a detailed writeup of the build.
Glad you were able to make a decision. You couldn't have gone wrong either way as they are both great cars. I just got my tb03 today Can't wait to build it. Enjoy!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
Pebbles will destroy the pulleys. I get stones in mine from time to time and race on a track, a carpark would create havoc!
I had no probs with pulleys
I had lots of problems with pinion/spur gears being ruined by grit. It doesn't take much & both my TA05's were like vacuum cleaners sucking up grit & small stones.
I sold em both as I was in the end replacing gears after every days run.
Actually the cigarette butt it sucked up was the last straw.....
1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

ok new variation of this question, but without the rocks and pebbles. What should I recommend to a friend who has some rc experience, but not with electric touring cars and wants to race? TA-05 v.2 or TB-03?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Just wanted to say that I built my TB-03 this weekend and I really liked the kit. First impressions:

1) Incredibly quiet and smooth transmission.
2) I'm really happy with the handling.
3) Stock motor/gearing seems very slow. Time for some twisty tracks.
4) Like everyone says, the steering is sloppy. Can't really drive a straight line.

Overall, I'm very happy with the car, although it wont stay stock. Hopefully I'll have stuff on the build in the next few days.