R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-22-2004, 07:34 AM   #661
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nilsen
Can the Helios menus be accessed and settings changed without having the radio turned on?

For instance, I'd like very much to be able to switch from one car profile to another without transmitting... so i can do it in the pit.
Have you checked out the DSC cable for the Helios? (direct servo control) It sounds like it might do what you're looking for....? I have one but haven't used it much yet.
j240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:52 AM   #662
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by TimXLB
KO Staff:

Hi,

I didn't take it apart......... it was the majic smoke that came out of the back of the radio that kinda gave it away(along withthe smelll). on the same day there was L.E. Mars that did the same thing and they tore thiers apart and it was burnt where the epoxy holds the antenna mount to the P.C. board. SO I'm kinda guessing i'st the same on mine.
as fo tripling the cost of repairs............now you sound like the servce center at one of the Big Three.......

Thanks
The tripling the cost of repairs was a joke, please don't take it the wrong way.

You would have to send it in for repairs. It is hard to judge if there is anything wrong with it. If you have your receipt, make a copy and send it in with the radio.
KO PROPO Staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:54 AM   #663
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nilsen
Can the Helios menus be accessed and settings changed without having the radio turned on?

For instance, I'd like very much to be able to switch from one car profile to another without transmitting... so i can do it in the pit.
Bob- Like the others said, either take out the module or use the DSC cable. Taking out the module will require that you turn on the radio. Using the DSC, it will turn on automatically once it is plugged in.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:57 AM   #664
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What is the turn around time like for repairs right now. I have a Mars that just wont power up anymore. Almost like the switch wont slide all the way into place to make contact. Also is there a possibility of upgrading it to the R. I already have 3 of the HSR recievers.

Thanks
Bob
[email protected]
Old 12-22-2004, 01:14 PM   #665
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

KO Staff:

Hi,

I took it as a Joke.
where I live one of the big 3 has upped ther hourly repair rate by three times the normal rate for dealerships.
I will look for the recept.

Also do you carry he Hyper Booster???? and how may will I nned for 19 turn????

Thanks
Life is short - live it! Your only old when your dreams are replaced by regrets.
TimXLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 02:21 PM   #666
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Barry
What is the turn around time like for repairs right now. I have a Mars that just wont power up anymore. Almost like the switch wont slide all the way into place to make contact. Also is there a possibility of upgrading it to the R. I already have 3 of the HSR recievers.

Thanks
Bob
[email protected]
Turn around time will depend on what is damaged. If I have the parts 1-2 days. If I do not have the parts it will have to be special ordered from our Tokyo office. This could take 3-4 weeks.

I can not upgrade the Mars to the R version, sorry.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:28 PM   #667
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by TimXLB
KO Staff:

Hi,

I took it as a Joke.
where I live one of the big 3 has upped ther hourly repair rate by three times the normal rate for dealerships.
I will look for the recept.

Also do you carry he Hyper Booster???? and how may will I nned for 19 turn????

Thanks
Tim-
The Hyper Booster has been discontinued. Some shops may still have them in-stock. You would need probably two of them to be safe.

Glad you took it as a joke. Increasing the rate by that much does seem a little extreme. Maybe they figure you'll just give up and just buy a new item.
-Robert
Old 12-28-2004, 01:59 AM   #668
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: 27 or 75mhz?

Quote:
Originally posted by Headbanger
In the US, there are 6 channel in 27Mhz(1-6) band and 30 channels in 75Mhz (61-90). Outside the US, there are 12 channels in the 27Mhz band. KO sell crystals for all 12 channels in the U.S. for some reason.

Also, 75Mhz is close the frequency of flouresent light bulbs so you might experience glitching in some situations.
Hi! Pardon my ignorance, but I need somebody to shed a light on this one...about the flourescent light bulb frequency thing...thanks.
audi04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 12:24 PM   #669
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Man... I feel silly for even asking, but here goes:

The Helios manual says on page 12 "Do not use Ni-cd or NiMH batteries"... then explains that gases will be expelled from the cells during charging that will damage the radio.

Can I still use rechargable batteries if I don't charge them inside the transmitter?

Told ya it was silly...
Bob Nilsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:01 PM   #670
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to onebeatuptc3

i wish i new that answer, because i wouldnt be buying so many aa's. Of course, i also buy the crapiest/cheapest you can buy, and turn off my backlight, and they last 10 min longer, but id rather have some recharables, so please someone shed some light on this.
onebeatuptc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:09 PM   #671
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to rossiRocket

I'm currently running energizer nickel-metal hydride AA's (2100 mAh) and so far so good. A fully charged pack of 8 AA's will power the transmitter on average, 1-2 full race days. I have a seperate charger module that plugs into an outlet (purchased at Fry's electronics) I'm sure if you can find some way to recondition the cells every once in a while, they will give you maximum punch, similiar to what the electric touring car guys do..
rossiRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 08:12 PM   #672
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

im using gp2100's in my helios and i charge them OUT of the unit on a GFX

odd that they say dont use nicad or nimh batts, but they supply a charge jack...

kinda like if subaru said to disconnect your turbo on your wrx when you drive
MManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 08:25 PM   #673
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to razzo

I think 'Do not use Ni-cd/NiMH' in the manual is there so they can't be held resposible if you over charge and vent your cells in the radio.

Using alkaline AAs isn't financially sensible... I'm using 10 2300Mha NiMH in mine, and so far in 4 hours of use, only had to 'top' the battery once, when it got down to 10V
razzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:10 PM   #674
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to =MisFitz= NuKe Send a message via Yahoo to =MisFitz= NuKe

ya, I use NiMH 2400mAh. I think I have charged them twice in about a month and a half, racing every weekend....just freakin awesome

check out my Team Helotes link in my sig to order a 2400 pack for your helios
=MisFitz= NuKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:41 AM   #675
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by =MisFitz= NuKe
ya, I use NiMH 2400mAh. I think I have charged them twice in about a month and a half, racing every weekend....just freakin awesome

check out my Team Helotes link in my sig to order a 2400 pack for your helios
mike

did you just buy TWO of the receiver packs for the XB8 and break it up for your Helios?

chris
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote