R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   ESC: Which one to buy... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/307719-esc-one-buy.html)

hound_dogs_01 06-27-2009 10:30 AM

ESC: Which one to buy...

I'm juts getting into the 1/10 scale Touring cars... I'm going to start off slow starting with 21.5 and working my way faster.... But I dont want want to buy a new esc every time, I want to buy ONE good esc and be done with that... If it makes any difference im going to be running an Xray EU rubber car...

These are the 5 im looking at:

Kopropo VSF-1 BMC

Speed Passion GT2.0

LRP SPX

LRP SXX

Tekin RS pro(no motor limit)

Are all of these sensored? I also want one thats easy programmable through my pc even if i have to buy extra equipment...

Also if someone could shed some light on this question it'd be great. On LRP ESC'S whats the difference between the TC spec and the COmpetition spec?

Thanks,
Alex

razzor 06-27-2009 11:17 AM

for stock racing i will definately say the Tekin RS or Pro.
The performance is so noticeably better and faster than the SP GT LPF i have.
The online service and support has been exceptional as well.
Big plus is that they are developing the software continuosly so no buying a new esc but update the firmware/software.
Yes its a schlep taking my laptop to the track compared to the hand held programmer from Speedpassion.
The inconvenience has been so well worth it :)

not home 06-27-2009 11:20 AM

sxx esc, its new, its a lrp, it will be good.

MaxSp97 06-27-2009 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by razzor (Post 5992627)
for stock racing i will definately say the Tekin RS or PRO.
Big plus is that they are developing the software continuosly so no buying a new esc but update the firmware/software.

+1:)

skypilot 06-27-2009 02:21 PM

he listed the Speedpassion GT 2.0 not the LPF.

The only ESC on the list i have tried is the SP 2.0 with the 2.0 and a 6.5 in mod i have no problem running with the 4.5 /tekin/novak/lrp powered guys. the 2.0 is programable with a lap top for software upgrades as well as other tuning options with the hand held programmer included with the esc

All of the ESCs you listed are sensored, the SP when paired with a SP motor can be run unsensored.

I'M sure you will be happy with anything on that list.

Tiger72 06-27-2009 05:37 PM

I love the SPX! Its easy to program. Yes, its sensored. Works brushed or brushless and w/ any battery out now. 7 different profiles for you to increase as you get better driving. Even set to give you an awesome start with a programed "hole shot" just by holding the brakes while at the starting line.
I've used it w/ 17.5 and 21.5 and NiMh and Lipo. Worth the money. No extra program cards to keep track of either. Two button two led programming. Even keep track of its own temps.

hound_dogs_01 06-27-2009 05:48 PM

I really like the tekin stuff I really like the hotwire but I was told the KO vsf-1 is THE BEST esc on the market to date... I want software to use on my lap to program my esc...

Alex

kn7671 06-27-2009 06:03 PM

Depending on how much time you want to spend programming and setting up you ESC, here are my picks in order of easiest to most complicated to setup for good speed.

LRP SPX - quick and easy settings (pre-installed programming works best for 10.5T+ motors)
Tekin RS - adjustable via hotwire, fast, reliable, good support (5T+ motors)
Tekin RS Pro - Same as above - no motor limit
KO BMC VFS-1 - very adjustable - good support - (+4.5T w/o heatsink & fan)

The LRP SXX is a good unit too, just not best for stock racing against the current crop of ESC's, as this unit is more suited to fine tune the power delivery of modifed motors, though it can also be used for stock, it will be down on overall top speed.

On another note, the Tekin's have the smallest footprint, the KO and LRP are roughly the same size, but the KO is the heaviest between the three.

As for the Tekin RS Pro, there is no need to opt for the Pro model unless you have plans to run modified motors below 5T. From your statements about starting with a 21.5, it sounds like you will be gunning for stock to superstock motors. BTW, I would not even get a 21.5, get a 17.5 motor and just limit the max throttle on the transmitter to shave some power and speed. No Point in wasting $80 for a motor you will QUICKLY outgrow.

lidebt2 06-28-2009 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by razzor (Post 5992627)
for stock racing i will definately say the Tekin RS or Pro.
The performance is so noticeably better and faster than the SP GT LPF i have.
Yes its a schlep taking my laptop to the track compared to the hand held programmer from Speedpassion.
The inconvenience has been so well worth it :)

+2 Tekin RS

No need to buy a new speed controller with the free software upgrades. I switched to all Tekins from Speed Passions. Never go back. Great support.

As for motor go with a 17.5 for TC. 21.5 is mostly run for oval and vintage.

Scooter79rs 06-28-2009 07:28 AM

As the others have said get a 17.5 instead of a 21.5. 17.5 is fairly easy to handle but has more then enough speed (when geared correctly) but slow enough that you shouldn't have many problems keeping the car under control. Plus Stock Tourer is 17.5 (27t brushed) with a 21.5 you probably won't be keep up too well.

I'm currently using a LRP Sphere TC spec, it's a great speedy. If/When I would get another speedy I personnally would go for a LRP SPX. I'm biased towards LRP, but I heard lots of good things about Tekin.

on d way 06-28-2009 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by lidebt2 (Post 5994649)
+2 Tekin RS

No need to buy a new speed controller with the free software upgrades. I switched to all Tekins from Speed Passions. Never go back. Great support.

+3 RS pro,smaller,no need heatsin or fan and more power if have howire,Great support.....thanks ! tekin...

on d way 06-28-2009 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by lidebt2 (Post 5994649)
+2 Tekin RS

+3 RS pro,smaller,no need heatsin or fan and more power if have hotwire,Great support.....thanks ! tekin...

hound_dogs_01 06-28-2009 09:14 AM

OK so ive done some talking and no one can tell me mabe you guys will know...

Will the tekin advance the timing once you hit full throttle... Kinda like a boost? i knwo the ko propo and the lrp's do but no one knows if the tekin does...

Alex

JR007 06-28-2009 10:03 AM

Not only can it do that, you can adjust the level with the Hotwire. AND, soon they are releasing new software thst has Turbo, which will fire up only when you are getting up in the revs to obliterate those long straights :)
+ whatever we are up to, for RS or RS Pro :)

pakk 06-28-2009 10:12 AM

The one down side to the Tekin RS is that once you have it, you won't run another ESC. So you end up buying them for all your cars. I'm looking to buy a third one ATM.

--pakk