Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Newbie question W/O anything funny in it. >

Newbie question W/O anything funny in it.

Newbie question W/O anything funny in it.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Newbie question W/O anything funny in it.

I'm new R/C Stuff
I'm looking for an electric on road car that I can stand out in my driveway and race around the cul-de-sac.
I would appreciate it greatly if you guys could give me some direction on what to get
1. I don't need a $600 car.
2. I don't really care, at this point, if it's super upgradeable. although I would like the option of faster faster faster, so bigger batteries and bigger motors would be nice if I could stuff them in there at some point.
3. I would like something I can build
4. I would also like to have the controller, receiver and servo's included. .

I've been looking at the HPI E10 RTR, obviously is already assembled, but I can always just have a buddy take it apart and give it back to me

Suggestions?
Insight?

Thanks in advance.

p.s.
Marcos please don't delete this again. I took all attempts at humor out. I read it 3x and I got nothing, no smile, no chuckle, nothing.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Tamiya TA05 would be a good one to consider. It doesn't come with all the electronics though. For a car you build it will be hard to get a lot under $600 but if you think its something you will stick with its cheaper in the long run to not get the RTR since you will end up replacing all the electronics anyway.

A good value package would be:

Tamiya TA05
Tekin RS speed control plus brushless motor combo
Spektrum DX3 Radio System
Inexpensive metal gear servo like a hitec

You can be competitive with that on a budget. The Tekin RS is upgradable so it should last you a long time. The radio has more then enough features. The only catch is that its probably not under your $600 budget.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by or8ital
Tamiya TA05 would be a good one to consider. It doesn't come with all the electronics though. For a car you build it will be hard to get a lot under $600 but if you think its something you will stick with its cheaper in the long run to not get the RTR since you will end up replacing all the electronics anyway.

A good value package would be:

Tamiya TA05
Tekin RS speed control plus brushless motor combo
Spektrum DX3 Radio System
Inexpensive metal gear servo like a hitec

You can be competitive with that on a budget. The Tekin RS is upgradable so it should last you a long time. The radio has more then enough features. The only catch is that its probably not under your $600 budget.
Wow 600 bucks...I have a older bolink car, mamba 5700, all parts (steering, axle, partial chassis) I've made myself. .y car rapes my friends e revo nitro with a pico .27.. - built this for under 300 and the motor and esc were 200 alone. if you just watch ebay or other forums you will find a good deal. I mean because what's the point of getting into this if you don't or can't customize yourself.. I goto the hobby store and see the cars for sale. Mine has a bigger motor and battery for a fraction of the cost... Sorry if I sound all over the place I'm sitting in a court room for a speeding ticket and I'm bored..
Old 06-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Either go with an older losi like a xxx-s, they go on ebay for next to nothing, or snag an old team associated. i love my old old losi quite a bit, bit i've got too much invested nowdays. it was before the xxx-s. lol associated parts are everywhere and i bet either way you go, you won't be let down. you may even be able to stay under 250!
Old 06-26-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gIbDiB-Tuning
I'm sitting in a court room for a speeding ticket and I'm bored..
Old 06-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Initiate

It's not a budget so much as the fact that I don't want to spend a lot of money on it because I am only going to drive it around the street in front of my house when I can't go drive my truck.
kind of like a r/c nicotine patch.

something quiet that won't make the neighbors mad or wake my kids up.

I like that tamaya ta05 though, it's pretty slick looking.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevon
It's not a budget so much as the fact that I don't want to spend a lot of money on it because I am only going to drive it around the street in front of my house when I can't go drive my truck.
kind of like a r/c nicotine patch.

something quiet that won't make the neighbors mad or wake my kids up.

I like that tamaya ta05 though, it's pretty slick looking.
If its for just in front of your house I wouldn't get a touring car. It gets pretty boring going back and forth with a touring car. Id look at an electric off-road vehicle and bash the heck out of it.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

If you want a touring basher, the Tamiya TB-03 would be better than the TA05 as it is shaft drive and won't get stones dtuck in the drive belts.
If you are looking at running kerbs etc, why not get a buggy/truck? You can set the suspension low and hard so you can corner on asphalt without flipping, and have the advantage of being able to raise it up if you want to jump kerbs or hit some dirt
Old 06-26-2009, 11:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

How about a Slash?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

There's alot stuff you can get. USed is cheaper but if you want new all the kits that come with radio gear and such are already built.

For example I would do new and under 600.

TC5 - $250
Spektrum DX3.0 DSM 3 Channel Radio w/ SR3000 Receiver - $170
Novak Havoc 3S/Ballistic Brushless System (8.5T) - $160

Now, thats all up to if you have the other stuff, IE charger, battiers etc.
But you said you race Off-raod so figure you might have all that and also with the above listed you under or at $600 and you can race mod class if you feel like it. I chose that motor/esc combo because it's designed for dusty stuff and bashing but is fast. all the listed prices above is at Amainhobbies
Old 06-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

hot bodies cyclone rtr
Old 06-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phat-Boy
hot bodies cyclone rtr
No, because it's really fragile. A couple of guys on a forum I visit were breaking a chassis every time they raced.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The HPI E10 is a decent basher and can be made to be a decent drift car. A step up from the E10 is the Tamiya TT-01. The TT-01 has plenty of upgrades and is a fairly durable car. Neither of these cars are top of the line, but between the two, the TT-01 is probably the better choice.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I vote for A Tamiya M03 kit. Particularly the Suzuki Swift. You can build it, bash it, it comes with an ESC, pick up a no frills radio system and bingo. You could be out the door for around $200 if you really try. $300 is easy. You can also race it if you really want to.

That or I'd pick up some RTR kit like the Rustler or Stampede from Traxxas. Hard to beat simple fun of jumping curbs and stuff.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Rookie

You can never go wrong with a TA05 Affordable, yet able to keep up with the big boys with minimal hopups.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.