R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2004, 03:55 AM   #16
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by edseb
I've run the Sorex 36r's and they seem to be o Kay. The older Losi soft ones with the pink dot were grippy but wore out fast. Do you use foam on asfault too? The Yokomos I've run seem to be really hard and since it is winter, I think I'll shelve them till it gets hotter this next summer.
Go with a Sorex 36R and HPI green insert, you'll be set for just about all the tracks we have down here...
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 08:09 AM   #17
Tech Adept

The basic rule for foam vs. rubber is to run whatever they run at the track you race at.

Here in Ohio, we are purely foam. Outdoor asphalt or indoor carpet, we run foam. Those that have tried rubber just can't keep the pace. The traction you get from foam is better, and they are lighter than rubber, so you get better acceleration.

As far as foam compounds go, just about everybody in electric TC runs the Plaid (purple/orange) front and Purple rear combination. In modified, some will run a softer compound, but you will still see many running Plaid/Purple.

On asphalt, foam tire wear can get bad depending on how well your car handles and the abrasiveness of the surface. I was getting about 3 weeks (15 runs) from a set of foams. On asphalt I just run them straight out of the package (2.5" diam) and don't cut them down.

Carpet doesn't wear foams as badly. I usually cut my tires down to 2.36" to start and will get 4 to 5 weeks (20-25 runs) from a set. Again, a well setup car will allow the tires to last much longer.

I have never raced with rubber, so I can't help there. There are plenty of people here who can give that advice.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:00 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

randman has some good points- take it to heart

I have tried using foams on asphalt where I race and can never get them to hook up....not for electric or nitro. always feels like I am out there ice skating. They are not prepped tracks though.

Sorex is also my favorite choice of rubber. I use everything from the 24's to the 36's (24's for colder weather up to the 36's for hot weather). Never had a reason to go to 40's. I generally use the sorex Med Thick insert. I do not like the yoke inserts. HPI inserts work well also.
IMIURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:54 PM   #19
Tech Adept

It sure sounds unusual to me that you would have trouble getting foams to hook up on asphalt. I used to have my son run rubber tires since they don't chunk like foam. When I drove his car, it never handled well. We have also had some of our better drivers run rubbers to prepare for other races and they usually slow down drastically compared to when they run foam.

Our local asphalt track is also unprepared. The only prep is the groove we lay down as we run. No sugar water or VHT, just raw unsealed asphalt. It is relatively smooth, but not the best. The only changes I make from my carpet setup is to soften the suspension just slightly and run a little more ride height. I have never felt like I didn't have traction. Definitely not as much bite as carpet, but still plenty there.

I run only electric, so that is where my experience is, but the nitro guys also run only foams.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:15 PM   #20
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I run foams exclusively as well. They work fine on asphult and carpet. I run 40 shore(purple) all round on asphult and plaid/purple on carpet. Some of the guys who run mod on carpet use plaid/double pink.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 06:46 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Thanks for all the help. Sounds like the jury is still a little out on asphault though. Although, people who run foams on asphault agree that the foams wear quickly. When running foams, do you apply a traction compound like you do with rubber, or do the foams go without the compound?
edseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:58 PM   #22
Tech Adept

The choice of weather to apply a traction compound to foams for asphalt use is a personal decision. At our track, some use it, some don't. I usually use it only to clean the tires off. Due to the abrasive nature of asphalt, there is not much need for it like there is on carpet.

If you get your car set up well and drive smooth, you will get a LOT more wear out of your tires. On our asphalt track, many of the nitro drivers (and some electric drivers) tend to throw their cars around the track. This aggressive driving style can destroy a set of tires in a single race day.

The real deciding factor of foam vs. rubber is what the local track runs. Some tracks require you to run rubber. If a track allows foams, they will usually let you run rubber, just because there is no competetive advantage to it. The best answer is to run what the locals run. You will get more help on setup, and the competition will be better.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:40 PM   #23
Tech Elite

So its more of a trend and feel, versus a scientific decision? Seams a little weird that there isn't more research on it. Maybe this wasn't a dumb, uneducated question after all. Looks like a lot of people are confused too and follow blindly. I'm not saying this is bad, we can't know everything about RC stuff. In the end I guess this was educational.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:23 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Is there anyon ein the San Diego area who runs foam on asphault? Any good feedback from it?
Old 01-09-2004, 10:57 PM   #25
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

its just wrong for electric touring to have foam! rubber all the way man!
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 01:58 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's usually not a choice for foam or rubber, If the club or track you race with allows foam, thats what its going to take to be competitive.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:18 PM   #27
Tech Elite

O Kay, I appreciate all the other tips, but we've gotten off on a tangent and it seems no one can answer this simple question. What is the concept between foam and rubber? I understand rules and trends that people follow, but is there a scientific reason to switch to foam and vice versa? With wires its resistance, capacity, etc., but with tires, it seems that people just follow what everyone else does. Help, I'm trying to understand. Is it that on asphault, foam is porous and can't maintain grip because of the holes, or on carpet, the foam snags the carper like velcro (only at a much smaller level) and rubber can't do that, and on asphault the foam loses that advantage and hooks up less because of the loss of this charactersitic. I'm pulling this concept out of my ass, but I'm just trying to explain.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:40 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Default who knows

When it comes down to it, its what you like. I've seen rubber shod cars smash foam cars to bits in mixed races. I think that they are other parts of setup that will make a car go faster then which insert to run or what shore to use.
KIMCOM RACING Driver #1
RC8B : REEDY 121 : Nitro-X fuel : Spektrum Radios
gkp5569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 01:00 AM   #29
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Ok here it is plain and simple, in clean conditions foam will in most cases have an advantage. Why?, one reason is they are from 2mm to 6mm wider depending on what your running so there is more of a contact patch. Also there porous, so they soak up compound very well. The reasons are endless.......
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 10:23 AM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have been racing for 17 years. When I started there were no sedans if you raced on road you ran 1/10 or 1/12 pan cars on foams. I remember burning up 2 sets of foams per day at some of the parking lots races. When Exotic foam came out (pink and purple compounds) I still burned up a set per weekend.

This is why i dont like foam:

1. As they wear they get smaller, ride height changes, droop changes, gear rations have to change to keep your speed up at the tire circumference gets smaller. This isnt too bad on carpet but the wear is a lot worse on asphalt. Tihs leads to being real busy between heats.

2. Minor crashes cause chunking. You have to wack rubber tire a lot hared to ruin them.

3. They dont work at all on dusty lots. Rubber tires kill foams in these conditions.

Most guy that want to run on foams are pretty new to the hobby and have never had the miserable experiece of running foams on asphalt.

I quit racing when i went to college. When I was done i didnt want to start up again untill I found sedans....with rubber tires.

If we start running foams on asphalt it will be the end of sedans. It will become such a drag it will go the way of 1/10th pan cars. The leader ship of ROAR and IFMAR is aware of this fact and try to keep sedans on rubber.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote