R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I just places an order for one off of flyingfoxrc. 39 bucks is more than justifyable if it is going to help the car that much. Will the stock spur fit on it? And I can also now run other spur options as well which is nice. God I hope this turns out to not be a complete waste of my money.
Ride1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride1226 View Post
I just places an order for one off of flyingfoxrc. 39 bucks is more than justifyable if it is going to help the car that much. Will the stock spur fit on it? And I can also now run other spur options as well which is nice. God I hope this turns out to not be a complete waste of my money.
Use the stock spur, I don't think it will fit very well and you would want something smaller then the stock 128 anyhow. With the new layshaft you can run anyones spurs, PRS, Xray, Kimbrough, ect. You did not waste money unless you don't bother to ask for help with setup. Then you may get frustrated with the car and dump it like so many others have. I have friends I run with that ask me why I am still running the car, but I am always right there with them unless I am in front of them.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
Use the stock spur, I don't think it will fit very well and you would want something smaller then the stock 128 anyhow. With the new layshaft you can run anyones spurs, PRS, Xray, Kimbrough, ect. You did not waste money unless you don't bother to ask for help with setup. Then you may get frustrated with the car and dump it like so many others have. I have friends I run with that ask me why I am still running the car, but I am always right there with them unless I am in front of them.
Dont know if you wrote that first sentence correctly? DO NOT or DO use the stock spur? If not what would you recommend teeth wise as a good starting gearing setup with my 5700 on 2s. Im not sure if the manual will be coming with the car or not since I bought it off evil-bay.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #19
Tech Initiate

I agree with all that has been said here about the type R. I have one myself that I race against nitros on ad-hoc parking lot tracks and have been very impressed with my car. I run against new Kyosho triple R's and X-ray NT1's with NO difficulties keeping up or even surpassing them. Even though my car is lighter and less sturdy when compared to a nitro, I have no problems bumping or getting bumped by them. I have survived many hard hits, flips, summersaults and the like without any breakage whatsoever. The car is fast, durable and best of all cheap to get parts for. The only drawback that I can see and it has been mentioned avove, is that it takes a different set-up than most other cars out because of it's unconventional layout. Don't let this stop you, it's a real pleasure to drive when you get it dialed. Battery fit is also only an issue if you get the wrong ones- keep your choices limited to no more than 23mm tall, 138 long and 46mm wide and you will be golden. Any more than this and some minor mods will need to be done. I run TrueRC 5000 mAh 20c hard case packs which are a perfect fit and perform beautifully. You can find set-ups for the type R here http://team-spoon.bravehost.com/
Myself, I recommend Jason Schreffler's Jackson June 10th set-up. It has rocked the house for me. Good luck.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb!- Dark helmet
Catbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #20
Tech Initiate

Side note: Unless you have already bought the Mamba, I would consider other choices first. The problem is that the Mamba is not a sensored motor and will cog at slow speeds such as hair-pins and the like. For racing I would not run a sensorless motor as you will be at an automatic disadvantage. Get a good sensored system and do it up right the first time, they are no more expensive than a Mamba system and will perform so much better than a sensorless in TC applications.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
Tech Master

Well I already have the mamba system so thats just what I was going to set it up with at first. If I experience any problems while driving I will upgrade to a nicer system and just move my mamba back to my tc4. Shouldnt be a problem at all to do. As for lipo fitment, I have a 5000mah LOSI lipo which is 2s and it should fit considering losi makes it. Ill check out the setup sheets. I have never really setup and on road car for competitiveness. We race in a parking lot so hopefully that setup will work ok as long as I can figure out how exactly to set it up.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Dont know if you wrote that first sentence correctly? DO NOT or DO use the stock spur? If not what would you recommend teeth wise as a good starting gearing setup with my 5700 on 2s. Im not sure if the manual will be coming with the car or not since I bought it off evil-bay.
Yeah, that is it, DO NOT. I honestly don't know where to tell you to gear it at. You may have to refer to Mamba's site to see what they have to say. I run all sensored stuff and am not familiar with sensorless.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Well I already have the mamba system so thats just what I was going to set it up with at first. If I experience any problems while driving I will upgrade to a nicer system and just move my mamba back to my tc4. Shouldnt be a problem at all to do. As for lipo fitment, I have a 5000mah LOSI lipo which is 2s and it should fit considering losi makes it. Ill check out the setup sheets. I have never really setup and on road car for competitiveness. We race in a parking lot so hopefully that setup will work ok as long as I can figure out how exactly to set it up.
If you use the Losi packs you would not even need the Layshaft one piece thing since your pack will fit with no mods. That being said you still may want it or a PRS adapter so you can change your spur to something smaller.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #24
Tech Master

The Xcelorin is a sensored system? I see thats what you have in your cars. Pretty sure thats also what you would recomend?
Old 06-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
The Xcelorin is a sensored system? I see thats what you have in your cars. Pretty sure thats also what you would recomend?
Not recommending the Losi Lipos, I don't actually own any. I just know they fit fine since someone else here I race with uses them in his R. I personally like the Xcelorin's and I liked the Novak stuff I used previous to the switch. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the systems out there really.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #26
Tech Initiate

Parking lots are where I do my thing so that set-up should work for you. Unless you already have them you will need these for the .030 washers LOSA6215 and I used these for the 1mm washers ASC25242. If you don't already have them, you will also need 2 sway bar sets LOSA4252. If you check out the set-up I am referring to you will notice that it uses a thicker rear swaybar than in front, which is case and point from what has been said already about this car needing a different set-up than most other cars on the market. Don't be put off by all this, the car is the business when it's set up right and you will not be disappointed.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #27
Tech Master

Hey if it works it works. Setup is setup no matter how you look at it. Obviously if the car isnt the same clone layout of something else then it will need a different tune then something else. Thats just the nature of it. I will look into the swaybars when my car finally gets here. Not sure if it has them on there.

What other lipos do you guys like in the type r. I need to stock up on some more anyways seeing as one isnt quite enough. And if your recommendations are nicer packs than the losi Ill just use the Losi in my tc4 and for warming up.

I will test the car with my mamba system as well, and then look into one of the sensored systems if I encounter any glitching or cogging.

Also, as for the spur, is there any brands you would suggest? Obviously though I cant buy anything until I get a starting gearing setup.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #28
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Im trying to feel better about it but this guy has never ever steered me wrong in the last 4+ years of working with him. He literally told me he had one on the shelves forever and couldn't even sell it and "luckily" was able to send it back. I couldnt believe that.

Look below

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6cj View Post
You know, probably what happen was that the shop owner was a little pissed that you got your car somewhere else and not at his shop. Then said that to you out of spite. People do that stuff

ppl do that all the time

Quote:
Some seriously strong opinions coming in. What he said is kinda backwards. He said the original JRXS was pretty good but the type R was the failure. And I guess you could be right about him saying that out of spite, but I dont really think that is like him at all. Hes not just the owner but a friend of mine, and no matter what I bring him he always helps me work out the quirks. Heck, I just spent about a grand building the new Hyper STe and bought everything off his shelves so he better calm down haha.
first JRX-S Pro (mid motor car) had some traction problem on slippery track, then Losi mount a motor on rear to use motor's excelation momentum to created extra traction the car needed sometime, with slightly longer arms and few less upper decks IMO the Car is complete package! as results shown the Type - R won many international race with a "Micro size team" of the industry!

I dont think that hobby shop dude goes to race often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
If you use the Losi packs you would not even need the Layshaft one piece thing since your pack will fit with no mods. That being said you still may want it or a PRS adapter so you can change your spur to something smaller.

nah ~ just get that flyingfox shaft and forget about adaptor, make your life lot easier.

if you in the market for a Lipo pack, you should look for a Thunder Power (TP) pack.
SweepRacingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #29
Tech Master

Well I really hope that I can get this car to perform and then be able to prove him wrong. Just wanna get it in my hands and start mounting the electronics and see how everything fits. I know its a very tight chassis so I hope I dont run into issues mounting the motor or anything else.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Well I really hope that I can get this car to perform and then be able to prove him wrong. Just wanna get it in my hands and start mounting the electronics and see how everything fits. I know its a very tight chassis so I hope I dont run into issues mounting the motor or anything else.
I was not saying I don't like the Losi packs, I can't say anything about them one way or another since I have never used them. I just know they fit in the car with no mods needed to the car or the pack. The guy who runs them here with me is sponsered by Losi so those are the only packs he runs. He is pretty fast with the car so I doubt the Losi packs are crap.