R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
daygoVR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 64
Default HPI F10 vs Tamiya F104 Pro

hymm this should get intresting ...espically if it brings F1 racing back to certian areas that havent had it in a while....only question is how are these cars going to be classed the HPI car is set to run a 4cell pack where as the Tamiya car can handle a 6cell and probably be set up to handle a 4cell as well ....decidions decisions

WHat do you guys think
daygoVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Tech Addict
 
Vyger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jackson, Mississippi
Posts: 549
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daygoVR6 View Post
hymm this should get intresting ...espically if it brings F1 racing back to certian areas that havent had it in a while....only question is how are these cars going to be classed the HPI car is set to run a 4cell pack where as the Tamiya car can handle a 6cell and probably be set up to handle a 4cell as well ....decidions decisions

WHat do you guys think
Just an FYI, the HPI car can also handle six cells.
__________________
Tamiya Road Wizard, F101s, F102s, F103s, F103RSs, F103LM, F103RXs, F103RMs, F201's, TRF-F103R, F104 PRO's, F104 F-60 & MP4-24, F104X1's F104 V2's, a TRF101 and a TRF101w...The King of Queens
Vyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
IndyRC_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,820
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

The HPI car is being listed as a 4-cell stick pack car on the HPI website. Without modding the battery holder, is there another battery holder available that will accommodate a 6-cell stick pack battery or lipo battery that will fit a stick pack compartment?

Any car can be modified to make it work, but I think it is better with F1 cars if you can stick as close to box stock or factory supplied upgrades as possible. There isn't enough support in the US for F1 classes if you start having one-off parts and cars that don't perform similarly.
__________________
I'm currently racing VTA. Check here for rules/info: http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice
 
daygoVR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 64
Default

I wonder if the HPI is wide enough to hangle a 6 cell configuration...what i dont understand is why HPI insists on having a gear diff on their car, offering a ball diff as an upgrade - then will most likely come out with a "pro" version in X number of months.... all about marketing I guess

still I cant wait to see a side by side comparison of the 2
daygoVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utah
Posts: 147
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyger View Post
Just an FYI, the HPI car can also handle six cells.

Correct. It will accept a 6 cell pack.

HPI was in Salt Lake City a few days ago for one of their "Demo Days" events. The Formula 10 car was one of many on display and we were able to look it over. The basic car looks good. The upgrades, like the ball diff, threaded shock, etc are coming as options.
__________________
Shoot for the best, expect the worst and be willing to accept anything in between.
MADHAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
Tech Addict
 
academygaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 718
Default

The gear diff is ideal for parking lot tracks, fit and forget, no need to worry with crud getting in and going notchy.
__________________
Quote, Leodis, 2007: ''I've been shopping online for 9 years and the only charge I've ever had to dispute with my credit card company was from TiR. Congratulations TiR. Even porn sites are more ethical than your company!''

RC cars - I haz sum.
academygaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,587
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
The HPI car is being listed as a 4-cell stick pack car on the HPI website. Without modding the battery holder, is there another battery holder available that will accommodate a 6-cell stick pack battery or lipo battery that will fit a stick pack compartment?

Any car can be modified to make it work, but I think it is better with F1 cars if you can stick as close to box stock or factory supplied upgrades as possible. There isn't enough support in the US for F1 classes if you start having one-off parts and cars that don't perform similarly.
I don't know why they are showing it as a 4 cell car other than the body possibly being too narrow. That being said, they had a car at a Japanese F1 only race with 6 cells, a ball diff, aluminum pod plates, and Tamiya tires/rims (spec tires for the race) on it. Everything was factory anodized orange, which leads me to believe they understand that they are competing against Tamiya.
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
Tech Addict
 
Vyger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jackson, Mississippi
Posts: 549
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Madhat

Hopefully these can clear things up a bit. They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

4 Cell/Kit Configuration


6 Cell Configuration. Notice the wider battery retainers.
__________________
Tamiya Road Wizard, F101s, F102s, F103s, F103RSs, F103LM, F103RXs, F103RMs, F201's, TRF-F103R, F104 PRO's, F104 F-60 & MP4-24, F104X1's F104 V2's, a TRF101 and a TRF101w...The King of Queens
Vyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17
Default

thanks for posting those pics up Vyger...

yes, the kit comes setup to handle a 4-cell configuration. there will be the optional 6-cell setup, that offers wider battery mounting braces/bars, as well as a wider body.

the 4-cell out of the box setup allows for slower speeds, easier to drive, less prone to break something, and the gear diff not only allows for a lower price, it is also a much more newbie welcoming design, and does not require makor maintenance...and with the very aggressive pricing this kit is going to have, it is actually intended as a fun, entry level, super realistic looking F1.

PS- Orion/round bottom Li-Po packs will fit

kits should be popping up in hobby shops in august!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyger View Post
Thanks Madhat

Hopefully these can clear things up a bit. They say a picture is worth a thousand words.
]
__________________
www.hpiracing.com
collinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic
 
akura2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 810
Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinc View Post
thanks for posting those pics up Vyger...

yes, the kit comes setup to handle a 4-cell configuration. there will be the optional 6-cell setup, that offers wider battery mounting braces/bars, as well as a wider body.

the 4-cell out of the box setup allows for slower speeds, easier to drive, less prone to break something, and the gear diff not only allows for a lower price, it is also a much more newbie welcoming design, and does not require makor maintenance...and with the very aggressive pricing this kit is going to have, it is actually intended as a fun, entry level, super realistic looking F1.

PS- Orion/round bottom Li-Po packs will fit

kits should be popping up in hobby shops in august!
Hey.. is this Collin as in HPI Collin?

it's Jimmy... Scott's friend with the Mini
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,921
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I can tell you from the last time Formula 1 came out in the 1996 it was Tamiya/Kyosho vs HPI. No matter what you did to the Tamiya and Kysoho cars they did not handle like the HPI. This was because they both used a oversized 1/12th tire compaired to HPI 1/10th tires. Now if you make adaptors and make them the same it will work. I've got old adpotors for the rear axles to make them a regular american diff and one set for the front axle to make them 1/10th.Oh yes CRC also made a Formula one conversion kit to use Tamiya parts. I hope F1 comes back. I think I would go with the 3.7 lipo packs and whatever brushless motor the local guys want to run.
__________________
Team Epic/Trinity -Michael Bruce Hobbies-Team CRC ,Kimbrough Products and GForce.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice
 
daygoVR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 64
Default

I have to say I think thay orange with the black looks better than the purple HPI has used over the years.... 4 cells with the proper brushed motor on either car geared right might make for a fun "club" level racing

6 cells or lipo on either car with a higher end motor setup will probably make these suckers really fly....might even be uncontrolable to a certian point
daygoVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
Tech Regular
 
WaWa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: kennewick, Wa
Posts: 256
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

They can't release these fast enough for me... the 1/4 scale tri oval needs something a little faster on it...
WaWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:42 AM   #14
Tech Elite
 
stitchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,794
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2 View Post
Hey.. is this Collin as in HPI Collin?

it's Jimmy... Scott's friend with the Mini
yeah, it's him
__________________
Speedtechhobbies.com
stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:04 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic
 
Frank McKinney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: A Yank in England
Posts: 755
Default

The body for the F10 is wide enough to fit 6-cell packs under it, or you can cut out a section of the body and use inserts to provide the Coke-bottle shape undercuts look way better; a 4-cell pack will fit under the inserts. If you use a 6-cell pack you don't use the inserts, so you have a flat-sided body which is wider to fit the extra battery length. The kit comes with different battery holders to fit 4-cell and 6-cell packs.

Out of the box, though, the 104 Pro is probably way better equipped than the F10, but there are a lot of options on the list for the F10.
__________________
Minimal signature to save screen space! Big sigs suX0r
Frank McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:01 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net