R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   AMB Transponder Mounting (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/306388-amb-transponder-mounting.html)

~AR~ Gizmo 06-21-2009 07:10 PM

AMB Transponder Mounting

Just gotten an amb transponder. In the manual it says to mount it vertically.... If i do it horizontially will it will be picked up?

Rod M 06-21-2009 07:15 PM

it should work either way but I always believed horizontal was better?

or8ital 06-21-2009 07:18 PM

I've seen them mounted vertically in a lot of cars but everytime I've tried I would start missing laps.

CarbonJoe 06-21-2009 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ~AR~ Gizmo (Post 5967045)
Just gotten an amb transponder. In the manual it says to mount it vertically.... If i do it horizontially will it will be picked up?

Look at almost every 1/8 scale off road vehicle... they mount the transponder horizontally. The CRC Gen-X has the slot at the front of the car for a horizontal mount. Since I move my transponder between my on-road and off-road cars, I don't want to cut off the 3 mounting tabs, so horizontal it is.

Cpt.America 06-21-2009 08:10 PM

horizontal... as low and as far forward as you can mount it, simple.

bigfix 07-03-2009 11:57 PM

AMBrc DP Transponder mounting

Originally Posted by ~AR~ Gizmo (Post 5967045)

Hello Gizmo
I will assume you are refering to an AMBrc DP (Direct Powered) transponder.
Also commonly known as PT or personal transponder.

For best performance the AMBrc DP transponder should be mounted label side up (flat). Avoid mounting vertically!
:) To get the edge on your competition mount it as far forward in your car as possible.
However, in serious competitions the position maybe regulated.

Here is a direct quote from AMB documentation...

"The transponder must be mounted horizontally (flat).
The position of the transponder must be identical in all RC model cars competing in the race for best finish accuracy.
Transponders must be positioned no higher than 15 cm / 6” (lower is better), with no metal or carbon fiber between the transponder and detection loop."

AMBrc (handout rechargeable) transponders should be mounted with the post vertical and the side with AMB embossed on it should be facing down to the race way. It is OK to have the post tilted up to 45 degrees, as it is common to mount it through the windsheild of the Radio Controlled car.

This document and many other AMB transponder system documents can be found at my website www.transponderservices.com

best regards
Jeff
Transponder Services

RSTECH 07-04-2009 10:05 PM

Mount to your front bumper. I've never had any problems.

EVILGRAFX 07-05-2009 07:43 AM

I used to mount my transponder vertically on this side of the servo and it worked fine but, recently at a new track, it began missing laps. I then changed it to horizontally and have not had any problems since.

????