R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Send a message via AIM to killatoyota4569
Default Motor Break-in

Hey guys I just got my New Orion Vortex 8x1 Brushed v2. I am trying to break it in. I put 2 C batts together in series and then connected it to the motor, I get nothing. But when I connect it to my Stock 27, it turns. So I am guessing it needs more than 3Vs to get this thing going. WHat should I do here to break this motor in? this Motor is just as fast as my 4.5 or 7.5 BL..... Im like DAMN!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killatoyota4569 View Post
Hey guys I just got my New Orion Vortex 8x1 Brushed v2. I am trying to break it in. I put 2 C batts together in series and then connected it to the motor, I get nothing. But when I connect it to my Stock 27, it turns. So I am guessing it needs more than 3Vs to get this thing going. WHat should I do here to break this motor in? this Motor is just as fast as my 4.5 or 7.5 BL..... Im like DAMN!
If I remember from back in the day when I used to break in and tune brushed motors... the best way to break one in, was nice slow drive around the track. Take it for a nice and easy cruise for 5-6 minutes. Strip it, clean in, put it back together and you're ready.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Send a message via AIM to killatoyota4569

Any one else have any info on this?? thank you
Old 06-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Tech Elite

There are as many ways to do this as there are people, but they all revolve around seating the brushes properly. The method described above is one way of doing it. It is also a good idea to skim the comm after that, but not essential.

Another important job is to properly align the rotor in the magnetic field by correctly shimming it. TO do this you need to take the rotor out, take all the shims out, put the endbell back on and rotate the motor by hand one turn one way then release it. Measure the end play, pull the motor apart, add shims, put the motor back together, repeat untill you have 1.5mm toatl play and rotor is free to find its "free" position in the magnetic field.

You need to align the brush hoods too. Again there are many ways of doing it. I do it with a brush which I file flat and polish on the face that touches the comm. I stick this brush in one of the hoods, spin the motor by hand a few times, pull the brush out and measure if the wear mark (a little line) is down the middle of the brush. Move the hood acoordingly, until you get the mark perfectly down the middle. Repeat for the other brush. remive the mark off the brush by polishing the face lightly inbetween measurements to avoid confusing yourself.

Lube the bearings properly too.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote