R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-18-2004, 10:07 PM   #61
Tech Adept

I prefer the saleen mustang, and s7 bodies. My track allows whatever you want for bodies unless it's an actual roar race.

I realize these bodies are not optimal for racing, but the sponsored guys kick everyones ass's anyway. So i might as well look good losing.

Since my other hobby is real cars, i prefer a realistic street look.
2000xp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 10:39 PM   #62
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by 2000xp8
I prefer the saleen mustang, and s7 bodies. My track allows whatever you want for bodies unless it's an actual roar race.

I realize these bodies are not optimal for racing, but the sponsored guys kick everyones ass's anyway. So i might as well look good losing.

Since my other hobby is real cars, i prefer a realistic street look.
I'd second that.

First of all, who aspires to have a car like Stratus anyway? It's a rental car! not even a desriable one at that. There are lots of kids (young and old alike) in this hobby, let them at least drive the car they actually want to own! Let's see the Ferraris, Porsches, etc.

Second, these ROAR legal bodies resembles nothing like the real car. Show me an Alfa 156 race car that actually look like one of these bodies (unless you get a Tamiya one). Why even call it a Alfa when it's really just a tuned seden body for racing.

I have been racing the Saleen S7 body for the last 3 months and I actually think it handles better than the seden bodies. It gives me more steering and seems to carry more speed in the straight. There is enough traction in the back despite the smaller wing since the wing is located much further back.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:06 AM   #63
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to donoman

Forgive my ignorance but I am a newbie and all this talk about bodies affecting handling sounds like it could be BS. I know, I know, you guys have more experience, but how can a body matter going less than 20 mph? Sure, it might matter at 50mph but I don't think these electric cars are that fast...

I run a Porsche 911 Turbo body. I'm having problems keeping the rear hooked up. But, the track I race is so tight (RC Tech in Daly City) with turns every 12 feet, I don't think I can get speed high enough to really make aerodynamics matter.

Is it the weight placement of the body that makes the difference? Or the aerodynamics? How can aerodynamics matter on tighter tracks?

Does anyone have a great explanation for this?

Thanks again,
Donovan
RC N00b
donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:37 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by donoman
Forgive my ignorance but I am a newbie and all this talk about bodies affecting handling sounds like it could be BS. I know, I know, you guys have more experience, but how can a body matter going less than 20 mph? Sure, it might matter at 50mph but I don't think these electric cars are that fast...

I run a Porsche 911 Turbo body. I'm having problems keeping the rear hooked up. But, the track I race is so tight (RC Tech in Daly City) with turns every 12 feet, I don't think I can get speed high enough to really make aerodynamics matter.

Is it the weight placement of the body that makes the difference? Or the aerodynamics? How can aerodynamics matter on tighter tracks?

Does anyone have a great explanation for this?

Thanks again,
Donovan
RC N00b
Aerodynamic does matter. Try riding your bike at 20mph and you will see. On your 911 body, try and put on a bigger wing like the Losi wing and you will feel a difference.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:51 AM   #65
Tech Master

if they will let you, try someone elses body out on your car for a few laps... you will feel a difference.
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:35 AM   #66
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Essnowyt

There is a simple way to see what the rear wing on your car is doing. Take the body off your car, and head for the kitchen. Whip up a pot of water boiling. Soon there will be water vapor rising from the pot. Now carefully hold the body in the flow of water vapor. Beware, it will be hot. However you can see from this that the spoiler on the rear end really does work. The rising water vapor does not move very fast. So imagine the effect as your car is ripping down the back striate. This is by no means scientific or a way to tune the body. But it will show you what is happening
Snowy.

Drive it, Dont slide it!
Essnowyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:36 AM   #67
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

mazda 6 for outdoors and the parma alfa for carpet

The ONE that DIES with the Most Toys WINS!!!
ICEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:36 AM   #68
Tech Master

You'll be suprized by anything about these cars going 20 mph...LOL

Has anyone else noticed....My back end feels real loose and when I gun the throttle it feels like my car is gonna take flight...ONLY when I'm using a Stratus 2.0

Hows the Mazda6 feel compared to a Stratus, or a 300M?
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:42 AM   #69
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Mazda has more downforce front and rear. With the rear wing trimmed to ROAR legal dimensions it is very balanced. With the full size rear wing it dosent rotate in the corner well as the rear will have too much downforce.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:48 AM   #70
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What you have to remember is the speed to weight ratio. If you make a change to a body going 20 mph that generated, say one pound of downforce on a full size car, that's not too much at all. You'll never notice it. That's because that full size car weighs thousands of pounds. Now that same pound of downforce applied to a 3 pound RC car, you're increasing the force on the tires by about 30%. That's a huge amount. Buy a Mazda body, run the car with your Porche body on it for 6 laps, then pull off and have someone put the Mazda on. Trust me, you'll notice the difference.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:53 AM   #71
Tech Champion

I tried the Protoform MG vs. the Mazda. It was a night and day diffrence. The MG would push into corners. The Mazda was on rails.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:34 AM   #72
Tech Elite

Quote:
I prefer the saleen mustang

DO NOT try to run this body at high speeds on a nitro car if you value your car.... I have the HPI Saleen mustang on my NTC3 running with a JP NR S3... I was making a high speed pass' testing the body, and the front of the car lifted... Watched my NTC3 get about 6' of air under it and it must have flipped at least 30 times when it hit the ground.... I know this is the electric forum, just needed to get that out....

I'm partial to the Alfa over the Stratus on carpet... I could never get the Stratus to hook up on either my TC3 or MR4-TC SD... I just picked up a Mazda 6 that's going on the Yok, can't wait to try it out...
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:50 AM   #73
Tech Master

Exclamation

I prefer mazda6 and the proto stratus 2.. I also like to use the nemesis series but unfortunately its not a ROAR legal body so I stay with mazda nad proto stratus 2.0 bodyshells....

Wency_TA03R-PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:16 AM   #74
Tech Regular

I would say honda civic coupe
dodge stratus 1 and 2
vauxhall vectra
and at the moment lots of mazda 6 are popping up every where so imight get that
and finally alfa romeo 1 and 2
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:42 PM   #75
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to crACkeD ChaSsiS Send a message via Yahoo to crACkeD ChaSsiS
Default mg/stratus

i like mg and stratus for my carpet tc3!!! especilaly for hi bite carpet track i love the [email protected]

Steven
crACkeD ChaSsiS is offline   Reply With Quote