R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2004, 08:19 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Nova F1 Racer- So i should go with the itegy 20 amp, or the 30 amp? I am racing stock mainly with mod occasionally. I guess battery longitivety is also an issue. I think the cells will last longer with the 20 amp discharge then a 20, am i correct?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:34 AM   #32
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Miskolczi
Nova F1 Racer- So i should go with the itegy 20 amp, or the 30 amp? I am racing stock mainly with mod occasionally. I guess battery longitivety is also an issue. I think the cells will last longer with the 20 amp discharge then a 20, am i correct?
Longer, maybe... less power, punch definetly....
There is a thread in the vendor section, SMC I think that really goes over this issue.
NICD and NIMH require different maintenance for charging/discharging.

Earlier someone had said that what you are using the battereis for is what you need to do.

THis is from the SMC webpage:

Gold Peak GP3300SCHR NiMH

Charge:

We have been using a linear 6 amp charge rate with very good results. For maximum performance try to get your pack peak just before your race. If it has been sitting for awhile repeak with the same setup as the initial charge. If it's been sitting for 5 minutes or less repeak it with a .01( 10 mv ) peak detect.

Peak detect ( voltage threshold ):
-We use a .05 ( 50 mv ) for 6 cell packs.
-We use a .03 ( 30mv ) for 4 cell packs.

Discharge & Storage:

After the race discharge the pack down to .90 volts per cell. This equals to 5.40 ( 6 cell ) or 3.60 ( 4 cell ). Let the pack rest until the next time you plan on using them. Don't put them on a tray.

Cycling:

We are under the conclusion that cycling these cells brings no benefit other then determining if your pack has fallen off.

New charging updates for GP 3300ís

SMC is really growing at a rapid pace and we will continue to keep the best quality possible. We will not sacrifice quality even though we are producing higher amounts of cells.I have been testing many methods of setting up my matchers in the past 6 months or so. Here is the latest care info that we have been using on the newer high voltage GP's.1: After a run discharge the pack down to 3.6 (4 cell) and 5.4 (6 cell) let it rest until the next time you plan on using it.

Before you go to charge it put the pack on a pure resistor (no diodes) use a tray such as the Integy Indi Octane 2, for 2-3 minutes and then charge it.

This will improve the runtime by a few seconds and keep the voltage and AIR in good shape.

2: For those who aren't concerned about capacity you can use the following method

After a run discharge the pack down to 3.6 (4 cell) and 5.4 (6 cell) and then place it on the resistor only tray for 5 minutes or so then short the pack and store it shorted until the next time you plan on using it.

If you run your pack a second time in one day you should put it on the resistor only tray for 45 - 60 minutes and then let it rest until you are ready to use it again

This method will drop the runtime by 20-25 seconds but will increase the average voltage and may reduce the AIR.
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:37 AM   #33
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Miskolczi

Go to the link below for PMR's FAQ on battery maintenance

http://www.promatchracing.com/faq.htm
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:37 AM   #34
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Jpt249

Great info at the PMR site! Keep up the good questions and comments everyone!
Jpt249 is offline   Reply With Quote