R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default What are your thoughts of Orion SHO cells?

I am at that point again where I need to upgrade my nimh batteries again.

What are the thoughts on the Orion SHO cells? Are the new 5300's really any better than the 4200's? Are the new EU version cells any better, and why are they more expensive?

I have run matched IB, EP, and EG cells all with mixed results because some companies match better than others. Some of the companies I have tried are SMC, Spec Point Concepts, Voodoo, and Hefty Cells along with a laundry list of others.

I will be using them for 4 cell pancar racing so if the lesser mah cells are better please tell me. Also if they are junk and something else out there is way better tell me that too. Thanks in advance for the info.

Last edited by racerj3; 06-18-2009 at 06:33 AM.
racerj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you're not having runtime issues, I wouldn't bother going with a higher capacity. It would bring the weight up, and with 1s lipo on the rise, I think weight will be something the NiMH guys might watch more carefully.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Regional Moderator

Among the un-sponsored guys (those that actually pay for their stuff), the Ener-G 4600 seemed to the the most popular cells at the Carpet Nats in 1/12 and WGT.

For the fall season, it seems that a large percentage will be going to 1s LiPo, at least for 1/12 scale.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Tech Elite

As they say the old technology or the new. With matched cells being done by less and less matchers in the "very" near future go lipo.Less weight and if you have to add weight you put it where you need it. If your racing in florida (the electric on-road series) the WGT will be legal with" only" the 1 cell lipo for the new season starting in September (No 4 cells).
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:30 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I know the single cell lipo is the new trend but our club still only uses nimh for racing our different pancar classes. So I would like to know are these cells any good and which other cells they would compare to.

Are they like Ib cells that seem to have lots of power but are prone to short life spans, EG cells which run longer but the power plateaus if not pushed properly, or the EP cells which have a decent balance of the two but are harder to find in matched packs?
racerj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Tech Elite

As they say you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.Round cells matched by this time next year will be very hard to find.Your club should make the switch.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I haven't tried the Orions but the Enrg 4600's I got from promatch were incredible for me this this past winter. Those things were so good it almost makes me hate the switch to 1s lipo.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I haven't tried the Orions but the Enrg 4600's I got from promatch were incredible for me this this past winter. Those things were so good it almost makes me hate the switch to 1s lipo.
I could not agree with you more, Wingracer!!!!!!
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

i have ran some Orion SHO 4600 matched, very good performance, they ran like close to, i mean very close to lipo 20c.
meon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you just have to have NIMH cells, the Orion's work very well. I've beat the snot outta mine (4200's though) in offroad 4wd mod with a 6.5 brushless. I'm horrible about taking care of cells (soo glad lipos are easy to use/take care of!) and they lasted me a year with no issues. And yes I run for Orion but I do pay for my stuff and I dont get the best cells I dont think you can go wrong with them

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote