R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-03-2004, 01:36 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing
Default pulse chargers & nimh cells

does pulse charger hurt NIMH 3300 cells???

i have a duratrax intellipeak digital.....i asked for specification to duratrax support....

the charger has peak sensivity of 10mV/pack.....supports nic and nimh cells.......but it's a pulse charger.....
i'm afraid of this charging method hurt nimh cells......

O.S. Engines - KM RACING - CONTACT TYRES - SAVOX - LRP - ARC | Blitz | Titan
SalvadoriRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:16 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Pretty much everything I have read, would indicate that pulse charging is not good for NiMH... On the ohther hand, I have not really seen any details about what was done to determin that. It may be something as simple as someone noticing that you don't get good numbers from battery cycling equipment when you charge them with pulse, and may not nessasarly reflect long term health of the batteries...

I have used pulse charging a couple times, just to see for myself what happend. What I noticed imediately is that the pack did not get nearly as warm during the charge process. I didn't really do a discharge test to get numbers afterwords, but I can say with almost complete certinty that they would not have been good. These were GP 3300s and it's pretty clear that to get good output numbers, they have to be quite warm... like 135F or so...

So... It likely depends a little bit on what your intentions are... if your a serious racer, I beleive you should get a new charger.... If your just having fun, I'd say use it untill you can afford something better and don't worry too much about it... If your packs go down hill fast after using it... come back and let us know so no one else has to go though it...
DynoMoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:49 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing

thanx.....

i'll buy a new charger.....
i woulde like to get the INDI 16x7v6......

I started running eletric cars since last month, I always ran nitro cars, i have this duratrax charger just to charger my radio and receiver packs, but now i'm using it to charge my battery packs (nicd).....

I'll buy some nimh pack and now i'm really thinking about buy a new charger....

Old 01-03-2004, 10:07 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to etzkev

If you are looking at the Integy 16X7v6, then also take a look at the Reedy Quasar Pro. They both are basically the same charger. The only difference between them is the the 16X7v6 has 30 amp discharge as opposed to the Quasar's 20 amp discharge. I have the Quasar Pro and I love it. Either way, you will not be dissapointed.

-etzkev
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 10:35 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

i'm would like to get the integy just for the 30A discharger.....

it's the cheaper charger in market that can discharge at 30amps....

the other ones that do it are more than $400....

Old 01-03-2004, 10:44 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, it just depends on if you want the extra 10 amp discharge rate.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:35 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

really, it does hurt your cells, hmm, bye bye money, that lhs owner is getting rich off me. , how about a millenium?
pro3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:41 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Milleniums are good chargers. I have never heard of anyone having any problems or really disliking them. It is a good, reliable charger that I have heard never mis peaks. The only problem is that they cannot discharge. This is only a problem if you do not already have a discharger. Take a look at this:

http://www.rctech.net/reviews/review...rs_trips.shtml

That will tell you more.

-etzkev
Old 01-03-2004, 07:40 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

i know....

i'm using a millenium to charge my cells when I race, I alwais go to the racetrack with a friend and we use the millenium and the duratrax.....

the novak millenium is very godd, but o really want an unit that can charge and discharge and i think the indi 16x7v6 is the best choice due to the lower price.....

Old 01-03-2004, 07:59 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

isn't the indi more expensive??
Old 01-03-2004, 08:01 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

yep.....

but no requires power supply and discharges at 30amps....measures AV and runtime.....etc....

Old 01-03-2004, 08:24 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by SalvadoriRacing
yep.....

but no requires power supply and discharges at 30amps....measures AV and runtime.....etc....
I don't know if you are comparing it to the Quasar Pro or the Millenium, but you know the Quasar pro doesn't require a power supply either right? It is AC/DC

Just letting you know,
etzkev
Old 01-03-2004, 08:31 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

i'm pretty sure i can get a millenium with a n-power for a hundread bucks, so if i can get that offer, i'll get that charger, if not, i'll probably go for the quasar, just because of the popularity around here. Only one guy here uses an indi.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:55 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

i'm comparing the indi to the millenium.......

quasar pro and all indi chargers are made by integy....
then i think that quality and performance are the same for any chargers made by integy....

Old 01-07-2004, 02:13 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by DynoMoHum
Pretty much everything I have read, would indicate that pulse charging is not good for NiMH... On the ohther hand, I have not really seen any details about what was done to determin that. It may be something as simple as someone noticing that you don't get good numbers from battery cycling equipment when you charge them with pulse, and may not nessasarly reflect long term health of the batteries...

I have used pulse charging a couple times, just to see for myself what happend. What I noticed imediately is that the pack did not get nearly as warm during the charge process. I didn't really do a discharge test to get numbers afterwords, but I can say with almost complete certinty that they would not have been good. These were GP 3300s and it's pretty clear that to get good output numbers, they have to be quite warm... like 135F or so...
Well spoken - a lot of rumours, but almost no hard evidence !

I find your testing interesting. Would be nice, if you tested out the numbers....

I've been pulse charging 2400 NiCd's for at least 2 years and a pack of Sanyo 3000 HV. The 2400 seems to perform very well.

The 3000 performs well on the track, but way better at the second charge (something with the temperature?). I've also noticed that they dont get THAT hot, even though charged at 6,5 amps. But the 3000's only take around 2500 mah's during charge. Except from the first 2-5 charges, they've done it all the time.

I found this info on the subject. Please not, it's written some time ago, and is about NiCd's.: "Pulse charing is a hot topic that alot of people are trying stake out patents. There seems to be some advantage at the highest rates 15 -30 minute charging to this technique for nicds. The Cristie charger was designed for Lead-Acid systems, where liquid phase stratification was a big problem. It is quite helpful in "stirring" the acid in the big cells they typically market. There is also some evidence that the pulse charging changes the morphology of the cadmium electode, in an advantageous way. High rates and current reversals tend to give higher areas and better utilization. This is good, expecially for cheap plastic roll bonded cadmium electrodes found in your average commerical cell."

Source

Once, I heard/read, that pulse charging gives more punch.

For my part, buttom line is, that I'm not convinced that my pulse charger works optimal, so I'm looking for another charger, the Robitronic Expert.