Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traction Compound/ How dose it work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Questions?? Traction Compound/ How dose it work?

Dose anyone realy know how Traction Compound works? at our track we are only aloud to use Jack The Gripper. Some racers will put it on 15-10 min before a run. some will add it 5 min before a run so what is chemcialy happening when you use it and why use it sooner then later as well as what makes some traction compounds better then others.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's a good question. I'd like to know too.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+ 3 as well
Old 06-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

I guess I use it to clean the tires of dirt and debree mainly. They say it helps add some traction. It does soften the tire up some cause the rubber will rub off in your hand. At least the dust is off my tires if anything.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Traction compound simply soaks into the tire softening it up and giving you traction. if you let it sit for 5 min it wont fully soak into the tire causing less traction but if you allow to fully dry more traction will be the result. Some people like me who run on carpet clean the tires after every run with jack the gripper. simply add to the tire and allow to sit for a minute and wipe off each tire until dry. allow another minute and add the grip to the tires and wait until dry. i found the tires lasted longer and i have never had any issues of low-no traction since.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I think there are two reasons.

1. It seems almost any fluid on the tires will improve traction somewhat. I think this may be because it is opening up the pores in the foam but I don't really know.

2. What I do know is that the actual rubber in the foam contains many solvents that evaporate over time causing the rubber to harden. Most compounds contain some of those solvents to help replenish the rubber and soften it.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Addict

im looking for more of a defined answer. expecialy for the rubber tires. 1 - what is the chemical doing to the tire? is it Chemicaly "heating the tire" like a reaction between the rubber and chemicals. (I know if you mix the right chemicals the mixture will create heat) that kind of idea or is it chemicaly breaking down the rubber softening it up. what is the active chemical in the compound and some racers will say one is better then others. Why is that. dose compound A have less of chemical X then Product B?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

There is no heat involved and no chemical reaction. The rubber contains solvents such as naphtha and turpentine. As these solvents evaporate, the rubber gets harder. A good soak in similar solvents can help soften the rubber back up.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wingracer
There is no heat involved and no chemical reaction. The rubber contains solvents such as naphtha and turpentine. As these solvents evaporate, the rubber gets harder. A good soak in similar solvents can help soften the rubber back up.
So all it realy is in the end is basicly Oils and Conditioners?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Adept

I disagree with the fact that there is no chemical reaction taking place.

Lately I have been applying Jack the Gripper to my head, neck, chest, and arms after a strenuous workout at my local gym. I feel sort of a cooling sensation that helps ease the pain.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
Dose anyone realy know how Traction Compound works? at our track we are only aloud to use Jack The Gripper. Some racers will put it on 15-10 min before a run. some will add it 5 min before a run so what is chemcialy happening when you use it and why use it sooner then later as well as what makes some traction compounds better then others.
15 min is far from enough IMO !! The longer the better. Try 30 or 45 min. If it evaporates, put some more !
Old 06-16-2009, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Traction compounds are used for two reasons..

1. to clean the tire. A dirty tire will have little or no traction from the start. Apply some, and rub and repeat until the rag no longer gets dirty from the tire.

2. It softens and degrades the surface of the tire. With rubber tires on carpet, we typically apply the compound of choice and let dry, re-apply if necessary. With foam, we apply a certain amount of time before the race, then wipe off a certain amount of time before the race.

This is why it is important to re-dope the tires before each run.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by timmay70
Traction compounds are used for two reasons..

1. to clean the tire. A dirty tire will have little or no traction from the start. Apply some, and rub and repeat until the rag no longer gets dirty from the tire.

2. It softens and degrades the surface of the tire. With rubber tires on carpet, we typically apply the compound of choice and let dry, re-apply if necessary. With foam, we apply a certain amount of time before the race, then wipe off a certain amount of time before the race.

This is why it is important to re-dope the tires before each run.
I clean mine with WD40 then Ill add Jack 10-15 min before a run. if its all dryed up ill add another coat but jeeze if its like another post said then all your adding is a Oil/Conditioner for rubber. well with WD40 you adding Oils. it is a Light Corrosive since it penterates rust so what is it doing to rubber? im not gonna give up gripper for WD I know it works I tryed it with out on a new set of tires and its night and day so its doing its job. im jus intrested in finding out how
Old 06-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
I clean mine with WD40 then Ill add Jack 10-15 min before a run. if its all dryed up ill add another coat but jeeze if its like another post said then all your adding is a Oil/Conditioner for rubber. well with WD40 you adding Oils. it is a Light Corrosive since it penterates rust so what is it doing to rubber? im not gonna give up gripper for WD I know it works I tryed it with out on a new set of tires and its night and day so its doing its job. im jus intrested in finding out how
What you do is fine. Yes there chemicals in the traction compound (rubber softener) that replenish the oils in the rubber. WD can clean/soften tires and Simple Green also works well. Actually people who race in places where traditional tractions compounds aren't allowed use stuff like WD and Simple Green as a replacement.

Personally I use lighter fluid to clean then use Jack and let it dry for the first run of the day. Then add Jack for 5-10 mins for all other runs.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

The compounds numb the nerve receptors in your brain, thereby reducing the tactile sensation in your fingers and giving you the perception of "softness".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.