Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The reason for the lack of mod drivers... >

The reason for the lack of mod drivers...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The reason for the lack of mod drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Alright..... Time to get back to work...lol... Everyone enjoy your conversations and for the 5 Mod guys out there I'll see you at the track some where/some time....lol...
Old 06-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jiml
Yea, that's my point. It makes the cars cheaper, and slows them down. Makes racing more about driving ability and less about which car you have.
But there are still ways how to stiffer car and that could cost a lot - you'll need light stiffeners.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lochness42
But there are still ways how to stiffer car and that could cost a lot - you'll need light stiffeners.

Yea, I see that now, thanks.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

jiml - I'm not sure if there is way how to do what you want to achieve.
There is only category that I belive is what you want to get and that's VTA.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Regional Moderator

I have a question, mostly for Josh, but also for anyone who has run mod and has enough experience to know the answer to this.
So, what you're saying is that you need an answer from ...

... a professional?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by lochness42
jiml - I'm not sure if there is way how to do what you want to achieve.
There is only category that I belive is what you want to get and that's VTA.

Which is why I have a 68 Camaro body on my TC4!!!

And has anyone noticed the fastest growing classes in RC are VTA and RCGT?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Jim Herrmann
So, what you're saying is that you need an answer from ...

... a professional?
Yes, but maybe not that type of professional.

Don't you race at the Gate?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Run time, no problem - can run 3 minutes past the race time with way too much motor. The problem is racers.... As production slows on NiMh to the point the prices go up and Europe and Asia finally switch from 5-cell to 7.4v Lipo due to availability then the rest of the world will see/have this problem as well. Too much power, cars undrivable, tearing through tires/equipment but there are a few (Pro's) that can get it around the track. This is the coming death of TC Mod... Just like 1/10 6-cell pan cars have but it's funny to see people who don't even race Mod commenting on what Modified is and what it should be.....

Home work assignment... EVERYONE (not just those who wish to voice their opinion about a class of racing they know nothing about) grab a 4.5 (being reasonable) and a 5000, 40C pack and go drive. Get 6-10 people out on the track and try and race.... Tell me how much fun you have and how much money you spent doing it.....
I don't think round cell technology will ever go away completely as there are far too many other devices in the world other than our equipment that require that foot print, and the change over costs would be far to high to be acceptable enough to delete one type of format.

If the dig about mod racing was a general one at me. When I started we had 2 classess, stock and mod 1/12th, 6 cell and no t-bar chassiss yet, crap we didn't even have a diff yet, so I think I can relate to over powered mod racing.
My point is, as soon as you put a reconmendation on a mod motor, in essense it becomes a spec class of racing, so you really can't call it mod any more. (One person did mention spec-mod, which is what it really is).
No matter, the only reason I run where I do now is for the amount of competitors, I can easily finish last in a group of 50 as a group of 5, the only difference is I have better odds in the 50 of not pissing 4 other guys off as much as if I would run in the smaller class. I guess I know my limitations.

Last edited by Johnny Wishbone; 06-18-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Initiate

10.5 Racing coming August 15th.

Jackson R/C is a beautiful outdoor asphalt track 145ft x 65ft. Enough space to get your Mod on.

All chassis makes welcome! Of course it would be nice if a XRAY wins.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...15-2009-a.html
Old 06-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Which is why I have a 68 Camaro body on my TC4!!!

And has anyone noticed the fastest growing classes in RC are VTA and RCGT?
I would hardly call them the fastest growing classes. They were a splash, something different, something to keep people from getting bored with this hobby.

Trans-am has fallen flat on its face around here. Replaced by F-1 (the next splash) and a year from now something different.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scott B
Good point, but what about everyone that already owns a 3.5, 4.5 etc... that wouldn't fit into the new rules??? They just become fishing weights??
A good point as well. Something I did not consider.

But with the main goal being more racers in modified, doesn't it almost seem easier in a way to go that route? I would figure limiting to one size for Mod would make it easier to get new racers into the Mod scene. I'm sure the Mod guys who paid for various size motors could at least salvage some $ on the motors they already own if they put them on ebay.

Unfortunately it seems that no matter what we do, even if we do nothing, there is going to be someone that loses out. We just have to figure out what will keep that to a minimum.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by X12racer
10.5 Racing coming August 15th.
wth just happened?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein
I would hardly call them the fastest growing classes. They were a splash, something different, something to keep people from getting bored with this hobby.

Trans-am has fallen flat on its face around here. Replaced by F-1 (the next splash) and a year from now something different.
+1
Old 06-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

I lost my mod racing 'virginity' at The Gayte in '08. I had a blast and by the end of the day could turn a hotlap within a tenth of Blackstock. I'll be the first to point out though, that was only one lap. If you were to look at the rest of my laptimes, it looked like a pinball machine...they were all over the place.

That of course was with Brushless. I still have that motor and I'm considering practicing with it A LOT this winter. If I can get to a point where I'm somewhat comfortable and feel somewhat competitive with it, I may even race a major event with it.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

I'd figure Traxxas Slash racing is the fastest growing. Those trucks have generated a ton of interest in the hobby from people all over who have never seen/heard of them before. Plus, trucks flying through the air in a parking lot is a definite attention getter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.