Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
help needed and fast >

help needed and fast

help needed and fast

Old 08-30-2001, 01:10 AM
Tech Master

Default help needed and fast

hi,

I was just cleaning my P2K motor and taking things apart. And out of no where there are two spacer came out of the motor can. I'm not too sure where the spacers goes to. one of the spacer is metal and one is some borwnish plastic(?). Anyone knows where those two spacer goes???
Old 08-30-2001, 01:49 AM
Tech Addict

Hi the spacers (washers) are there to allign the comm with the magnets in the can. you should have one metal washer on the armature where it goes through the bearing, the fibre washer goes next to the comm to stop it shorting out and the metal washer goes on top of this.

Below is a crude diagram the !'s are the washers: No. 2 is the fibre wahser.

You may find washer no. 1 is still in the can & if you find another one put it next to washer 3.

Hope I haven't confused the issue futher.

-----------
-------!| | | !!---
-------------
1 2 3

Sorry the diagram has gone wrong! If you choose to edit the message it looks OK?????
Old 08-30-2001, 02:06 AM
Tech Master

clear this up for me, see if I am understanding what you are saying:

look endball as the top. The washer goes like Endball then metal washer, then fiber washer, then the comm.

is that right???? I don't have a third washer in there.
Old 08-30-2001, 09:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

it doesn't matter where they go , but the fibre glass washer usually goes on top (where the com is)
Old 08-30-2001, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

On the comm side of the armature put the fiber washer 1st then the 2 metal washers next. There should also be a washer that goes on the other end of the armature too though. Make sure it's not stuck somewhere on your magnets or can. It also might still be stuck against the bushing in the can which is ok because it makes it easier to slip the armature back into the can and bushing without that washer falling off. After you tighten the end bell back on there should only be about a half a mm of play. Some play is needed more than no play too.
Old 08-30-2001, 09:57 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

TRF-powered: Actually it does matter where they go. You should have the fiber washer directly on top the armarature. the a metal washer on top of that. On the bottom in the P2K, should be a goldish washer that is thinner that the silver one that goes on top the fiber washer. Like JohnA said this one is probably still in the can. It usually doesn't fall all the way out of the can. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2001, 09:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

1/2 mm thats alot of slop thats .02 in inches . try to keep it at .005 which is a piece of nice paper. it only needs room to spin freely.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

darkside,

is that word suppose to be "then"? So what you are saying is fiber washer on top of comm then metal washer on top of the fiber washer right? There is a gold ball-bearing like washer at the bottom of the the can. Is that the gold washer that you are referring to?

I had it assembled last night and it runs fine. Just want to make sure everything is right.

I put new bearing oil and bushing oil and when the motor runs it smells a little. Is that normal? there is no smoke or anything. but just a kinda metal/oil smell caming out of it. that is normal right?
Old 08-30-2001, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

I think we should keep this thread alive. And if anyone has any emergency questions that need to be answered can post here.

Hope all the experts can check out this thread more often to help out other people.

thank you all.