R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Tech Addict
 
wiscnitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reedsburg,WI
Posts: 606
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Questions?? Traction Compound/ How dose it work?

Dose anyone realy know how Traction Compound works? at our track we are only aloud to use Jack The Gripper. Some racers will put it on 15-10 min before a run. some will add it 5 min before a run so what is chemcialy happening when you use it and why use it sooner then later as well as what makes some traction compounds better then others.
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this! :)
wiscnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 106
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

That's a good question. I'd like to know too.
Tiger72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Milton,Canada
Posts: 429
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

+ 3 as well
__________________
RROL and LOU`s where only real racers race.
Weapons of choice,NT1 2010 , X-Ray T3 x 2, X-Ray X10 X-Ray all the way baby.
Futaba 4pk,gq tires,jaco tyres,odonnel fuel,T-Power batteries, tekin and nova powered.
Don`t blame the car, when you know you can`t drive.
Sponsor, me , myself and I.
nitro ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
vr6cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 4,052
Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)
Default

I guess I use it to clean the tires of dirt and debree mainly. They say it helps add some traction. It does soften the tire up some cause the rubber will rub off in your hand. At least the dust is off my tires if anything.
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Upper Milwaukee
Posts: 2,731
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Traction compound simply soaks into the tire softening it up and giving you traction. if you let it sit for 5 min it wont fully soak into the tire causing less traction but if you allow to fully dry more traction will be the result. Some people like me who run on carpet clean the tires after every run with jack the gripper. simply add to the tire and allow to sit for a minute and wipe off each tire until dry. allow another minute and add the grip to the tires and wait until dry. i found the tires lasted longer and i have never had any issues of low-no traction since.
__________________
Mike Adamec
TEAM HACK-HACK OR BE HACKED
Trackside Hobbies
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

I think there are two reasons.

1. It seems almost any fluid on the tires will improve traction somewhat. I think this may be because it is opening up the pores in the foam but I don't really know.

2. What I do know is that the actual rubber in the foam contains many solvents that evaporate over time causing the rubber to harden. Most compounds contain some of those solvents to help replenish the rubber and soften it.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
Tech Addict
 
wiscnitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reedsburg,WI
Posts: 606
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

im looking for more of a defined answer. expecialy for the rubber tires. 1 - what is the chemical doing to the tire? is it Chemicaly "heating the tire" like a reaction between the rubber and chemicals. (I know if you mix the right chemicals the mixture will create heat) that kind of idea or is it chemicaly breaking down the rubber softening it up. what is the active chemical in the compound and some racers will say one is better then others. Why is that. dose compound A have less of chemical X then Product B?
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this! :)
wiscnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

There is no heat involved and no chemical reaction. The rubber contains solvents such as naphtha and turpentine. As these solvents evaporate, the rubber gets harder. A good soak in similar solvents can help soften the rubber back up.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
Tech Addict
 
wiscnitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reedsburg,WI
Posts: 606
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
There is no heat involved and no chemical reaction. The rubber contains solvents such as naphtha and turpentine. As these solvents evaporate, the rubber gets harder. A good soak in similar solvents can help soften the rubber back up.
So all it realy is in the end is basicly Oils and Conditioners?
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this! :)
wiscnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 234
Default

I disagree with the fact that there is no chemical reaction taking place.

Lately I have been applying Jack the Gripper to my head, neck, chest, and arms after a strenuous workout at my local gym. I feel sort of a cooling sensation that helps ease the pain.
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:53 PM   #11
Tech Master
 
heretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscnitro View Post
Dose anyone realy know how Traction Compound works? at our track we are only aloud to use Jack The Gripper. Some racers will put it on 15-10 min before a run. some will add it 5 min before a run so what is chemcialy happening when you use it and why use it sooner then later as well as what makes some traction compounds better then others.
15 min is far from enough IMO !! The longer the better. Try 30 or 45 min. If it evaporates, put some more !
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:26 AM   #12
Tech Master
 
timmay70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,701
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Traction compounds are used for two reasons..

1. to clean the tire. A dirty tire will have little or no traction from the start. Apply some, and rub and repeat until the rag no longer gets dirty from the tire.

2. It softens and degrades the surface of the tire. With rubber tires on carpet, we typically apply the compound of choice and let dry, re-apply if necessary. With foam, we apply a certain amount of time before the race, then wipe off a certain amount of time before the race.

This is why it is important to re-dope the tires before each run.
__________________
Speed Merchant Rev7, Tekin, TQ Racing (wire), Team Tamale
RC Excitement - Buy where you race, support your local tracks.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
Tech Addict
 
wiscnitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reedsburg,WI
Posts: 606
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
Traction compounds are used for two reasons..

1. to clean the tire. A dirty tire will have little or no traction from the start. Apply some, and rub and repeat until the rag no longer gets dirty from the tire.

2. It softens and degrades the surface of the tire. With rubber tires on carpet, we typically apply the compound of choice and let dry, re-apply if necessary. With foam, we apply a certain amount of time before the race, then wipe off a certain amount of time before the race.

This is why it is important to re-dope the tires before each run.
I clean mine with WD40 then Ill add Jack 10-15 min before a run. if its all dryed up ill add another coat but jeeze if its like another post said then all your adding is a Oil/Conditioner for rubber. well with WD40 you adding Oils. it is a Light Corrosive since it penterates rust so what is it doing to rubber? im not gonna give up gripper for WD I know it works I tryed it with out on a new set of tires and its night and day so its doing its job. im jus intrested in finding out how
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this! :)
wiscnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscnitro View Post
I clean mine with WD40 then Ill add Jack 10-15 min before a run. if its all dryed up ill add another coat but jeeze if its like another post said then all your adding is a Oil/Conditioner for rubber. well with WD40 you adding Oils. it is a Light Corrosive since it penterates rust so what is it doing to rubber? im not gonna give up gripper for WD I know it works I tryed it with out on a new set of tires and its night and day so its doing its job. im jus intrested in finding out how
What you do is fine. Yes there chemicals in the traction compound (rubber softener) that replenish the oils in the rubber. WD can clean/soften tires and Simple Green also works well. Actually people who race in places where traditional tractions compounds aren't allowed use stuff like WD and Simple Green as a replacement.

Personally I use lighter fluid to clean then use Jack and let it dry for the first run of the day. Then add Jack for 5-10 mins for all other runs.
__________________
☆ The Track @ Harbor Hobbies ☆ www.harbor-hobby.net ☆
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
Tech Master
 
~McSmooth~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,082
Default

The compounds numb the nerve receptors in your brain, thereby reducing the tactile sensation in your fingers and giving you the perception of "softness".
__________________
DeSoto Racing * Franchise * Pro-One * Team Scream * Power Push * Team Ass

Badly influencing a new generation of racers!
~McSmooth~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:14 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net