R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default I think its dieing - Mamba 5700K

Ive had my TC4 w/ MambaMax 5700K for a few months now. Ive had it geared a little on the top end side. 72/20

If i really lay it down for a long time, ive seen temps reach 200F and once 213F. But a majority of the time the temps don't past 160-175F.

I have a 25mm fan on the ESC and a FT heat sink on the motor. Do you think those few (2-3) times ive hit 200F+ cause my motor to be weaker?

The car just doesn't seem to have the balls it use to, don't get me wrong its still fast!!!! but just not the same.

Ive also started to hear an odd noise from what i believe is coming from the motor. I thought it was the diff or the spur gear shaft.. but ive replaced it all and it still has the rough sounding noise.

Just looking for opinions. I kinda have a feeling ive hurt the poor little thing.
Should i stick with getting another Mamba motor, or something else?

PS: I monitor temps with my DX3S..
TomTomTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

First thing how old is the system? Maybe you could send the motor in for warranty? (if it is the motor any way). I have asked Castle about temps, and I was assured that you don't really have to worry until it starts getting over 250, and 300 is even possible. Not good, but still possible. I mean, maybe something happened, but I doubt it very much. What batteries are you running? Maybe the batteries over heated and not necessarily the motor. I have several Castle systems, and the service so far has been very good, I would contact them and see what they say. If it's still under warranty I would send it in. If not, and you are thinking about replacing the motor, I would stick with a castle motor. I know it will work with others, but from my experience, sticking with what it was made for/with is always the best solution. Also just recheck your settings, make sure the timing was not lowered (that would give you the feeling of less power). There is no real reason that it would change, but hey, you never know, it's worth double checking.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHC6 View Post
First thing how old is the system? Maybe you could send the motor in for warranty? (if it is the motor any way). I have asked Castle about temps, and I was assured that you don't really have to worry until it starts getting over 250, and 300 is even possible. Not good, but still possible. I mean, maybe something happened, but I doubt it very much. What batteries are you running? Maybe the batteries over heated and not necessarily the motor. I have several Castle systems, and the service so far has been very good, I would contact them and see what they say. If it's still under warranty I would send it in. If not, and you are thinking about replacing the motor, I would stick with a castle motor. I know it will work with others, but from my experience, sticking with what it was made for/with is always the best solution. Also just recheck your settings, make sure the timing was not lowered (that would give you the feeling of less power). There is no real reason that it would change, but hey, you never know, it's worth double checking.
Thanks so much for the reply.

Ive had the motor for about 2-3months now, and I am running a Venom 20C 5400mah 3s lipo.

Ive never notice the battery being hot, and as worried as i am about lipo's... I check them to make sure they dont get hot.

I haven't talked to castle before but i do know there customer service ROCKS!! i was having some problems with the ESC only giving me 2 beeps instead of 3 and i was going to send it in but never had the time. Upgraded the firmware last week and it fixed my problem.

I notice my dean connector on the battery was beginning to get loss so i'm going to re solder it. It's not like falling off or anything but maybe that could be my problem.

Here are screen shots of my settings.

Is it bad to run alot of brake?
i do alot of high speed passes and if there's a close call, having a decent amount of braking definitely helps... lol

Thanks again!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTomTuning View Post
I have a 25mm fan on the ESC and a FT heat sink on the motor. Do you think those few (2-3) times ive hit 200F+ cause my motor to be weaker?

I have run my 7700 at 200*/235*F for over 4 years and it's just as fast now as it was when it was new. What temps are you seeing on your ESC ????

Ive also started to hear an odd noise from what i believe is coming from the motor.

Do you oil the motor bearings???? I have never oiled my 4600,7700 or 9000. You can get stuff in the bearing if you oil them, they don't need to be oiled.

Venom 20C 5400mah 3s lipo.
Here are screen shots of my settings.
I would run 3.2Volts/Cell cut off, have you ran your car to the cut off ????
IMHO..... I think you Venom 3s lipo is getting flat, the IR is going up and thats why your car is slowing.

Last edited by Lazer Guy; 06-13-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Ive never really checked the ESC temps, i need to get a temp gauge thing.

The Venom battery is no older then the motor/ESC (2-3 months old).
It doesnt drain any faster then what it use to??
I guess it could be "Weaker"... IDK

Ive never oiled the motor bearings.

I picked up a few parts today to see if that gets rid of the "rough noise" i'm hearing. (new spur gear shaft bearing, and new spur gear)

I will re solder the dean, and double check everything again. And see how she runs..

I know every now and then the car hiccups, i talked to mamba, and they said it could be that the battery isnt giving the amps it needs.. to try gearing it down. This never really happened before.

I hope its not the battery, 3 month old 150.00 battery dieing already? AGH!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

what is your spur/pinion toothcount?
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
what is your spur/pinion toothcount?
72/20

I just got a 74 that i'm going to put on and try.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
Tech Addict

I definitely think the motor is dieing!!!!
I replaced my spur gear, i replaced a few bearings.. Still sounding rough.

After about 10mins of speed bashing, now when ever i brake, there is a loud binding noise. Its much more noticeable when i am outside on the ground, instead of holding the car in the air since the motor brakes faster when in the air but here are some videos

Sorry for the low quality but it should help..

Here is a video of my TC4 w/ 5700K

And for comparison, here is a video of my B44 with 6900K.

It's really hard to hear the binding/roughness of the TC4. I'm going to try and get a video of the car outside on the ground.

Last edited by TomTomTuning; 06-19-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Went outside (at work)... and got a friend to record for me.
Here are a few clips, you can hear the loud squeezing noise...

Last edited by TomTomTuning; 06-19-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

That is a strange noise Did you try swapping the two motors to see if the noise stays with the car ???
Old 06-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Guy View Post
That is a strange noise Did you try swapping the two motors to see if the noise stays with the car ???
I was thinking about doing that.. It's just i was planning on running the B44 today... But i didnt any way so i'm going to try it Monday..

On a side note, i replaced the main shaft (blue), and tried a different spur and now that braking noise is gone.. But i blew the rear diff again. 8-(

Agh, this car is starting to be come aggravating.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Replaced the rear shaft and other bearings... Problem solved, just a shaky rear shaft.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Thats great .....I'm glad it wasn't the motor.
When I first put in the 7700 4 years ago I melted 4 diff's and went to alum.... Now I have the 9000kv TC rubber at 9.75 FDR on 2 cell and love it
Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Are you talking about the gears or the outdrives?

Ive thought about getting the metal diff gears, i seen a set on ebay.
Just didnt want to cause problems some where else on the car...

Let me know if its the gears your talking about, because if they worked out for you then i might have to pick up a set. I go through gears pretty often.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

The metal outdrives....All the cars,buggy's and trucks I've had use ball diff's. I don't know anything about gear diff's, never had one.