R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Touring, stuff needed? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/304120-touring-stuff-needed.html)

HellTriX 06-12-2009 12:52 AM

Touring, stuff needed?

I'm planning to get into 1:10 touring and need some assistance on stuff I need.

I haven't decided on the car yet but I'm looking at TC5R, RDX, or something along these lines. I'm making a list of things I need but since I'm new to this I am not sure if I am completely on the right track. First of all its hard to find online sources for cars and setups that is IN STOCK.

1. Car/kit
2. 17.5 Brushless (roar legal)
3. Tekin RS ESC (RS or Pro??)
4. 5200 Lipo (Recommend brand?)
5. Charger (what wont break my wallet?)
6. Radio tx + rx.
7. Pinions/spurs/body/paint/rubber tires.

Is this stuff along the lines of something I can start racing? Does this stuff fit into Stock Class?

tnx

Rod M 06-12-2009 01:32 AM

1. Car/kit: have a look at the new TOP Photon,
2. 17.5 Brushless (roar legal) Trinity Duo Based 17.5 are good,
3. Tekin RS ESC (RS or Pro??) the Base Tekin should be fine if you are just starting out,
4. 5200 Lipo (Recommend brand?) Note that for stock 5200 is overkill as you are only using just over 2000 over a 5 min race, but still I use IP 5000 packs running stock,
5. Charger (what wont break my wallet?) there are a bunch of chargers out of china under different brands that look identical, they are mostly exactly the same electrics and software. look at the Venom pro charger as the base.
6. Radio tx + rx. spektrum DX3R or DX3S, Futaba S9551 low profile servo.
7. Pinions/spurs/body/paint/rubber tires.

pakk 06-12-2009 01:44 AM

Don't forget the hotwire to go along with your RS. It is a must.

--pakk

niznai 06-12-2009 02:02 AM

Hello again H/Trix.

If you're worried about the charger breaking your wallet I would say you're not going to get past point #1 in your list.

The RDX is an old car. Not made anymore, so I suppose you'll go S/H. (Unless you want to buy one I know of which is brand new, but is 680AU$ and it's in Melbourne, Australia). Second hand you might get it cheaply but spares are going to be difficult to get and expensive.

The TC5 is a difficult car to set up and I have only seen one person capable of doing it properly (but then again this guy would be just as good with a wheel and a battery).

Perhaps you should think of what your budget is first and give us a ballpark figure.

As for batteries, just wait until you get a car and see what lipos will fit easier in there as depending on the top deck height some will be a little bit more difficult to get in the car than others.

Foxxrocket 06-12-2009 02:17 AM

Go with the Associated TC5. Best car at its price.

HellTriX 06-12-2009 10:37 AM

Budget?
I have my budget limit set at $800 for everything to get running. The upper limit being $1000 to account for the little details missed along the way.

I've been looking at the used stuff, but being new to the sport its hard to tell for me whats a good buy used and what might be already trashed by hard use. Last thing I want to do is spend a ton of money and used stuff only to find out in my first few runs that I will need to be upgrading things from the start.

What are some of the latest 4wd 1:10 sedans out right now that would have good parts support?

seaball 06-12-2009 10:47 AM

helltrix,

contact me at [email protected]

you will not find a better value than that which i may propose for your budget.... :nod:

choppinwood 06-12-2009 10:56 AM

The TC5 is the best bang for the buck. I personally run a Corally but there are plenty of the associateds passing me.

Cpt.America 06-12-2009 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by HellTriX (Post 5929734)
Budget?
I have my budget limit set at $800 for everything to get running.

Aint happenin unless you go used

1. Car/kit - Take your pick. Choose something local guys are running, with local track support
2. 17.5 Brushless (roar legal) I love my tekin Redline 17.5
3. Tekin RS ESC (RS or Pro??) RS... only need the pro if you are going to dip down into the very low turn mod motors
4. 5200 Lipo (Recommend brand?) Dont worry too much about 5200. I am running semi-budget 4000mah 35c GP lipos, and they work fantastic
5. Charger (what wont break my wallet?) LOTS of lipo chargers out there. Browse Amainhobbies
6. Radio tx + rx. -You will get lots of recommendations here. A used 3PM 2.4ghz might be the way to go to save cash.
7. Pinions/spurs/body/paint/rubber tires. Going to need a couple pinions for tuning, a body, paint, at least one set of tires, and dont foget a small pile of spare parts for your car. Nothing is worse than going to the races and breaking a part you dont have and end up ruining the day.

Depending on where you will be racing, there are a million other little things you might want. I race at an outdoor parking lot track, and here are some other misc. things I have needed/wanted racing in that kind of environment

Pit table
easy-up shade
folding chair to sit in
tubs to pack all your gear in
extension cord/surge protector
tools (allens, pliers, files, etc)
tool box
tacklebox/spare parts bin
big hat
sun block
towel
etc.. etc.. etc..

svt-racer 06-12-2009 11:54 AM

This is what I came up with:

1. Car/kit - TC5R - Tower Hobbies 360
2. 17.5 Brushless (roar legal) get in combo system
3. Tekin RS ESC (RS or Pro??) get less expensive Novak
3A. Brushless ESC/Motor Combo - Novak Havoc - Stormer Hobbies 150
4. 5200 Lipo (Recommend brand?)-SMC Sport-Stormer Hobbies 75
5. Charger -Thunder AC 6 (5amp with balancer)- Hobbypartz.com 60shipped
6. Radio tx + rx.- Spektrum - A-Main hobbies 170
7. Pinions/spurs/body/paint/rubber tires. - Local Hobby Store 82
8. Servo Any Digital Futaba, JR, Airtronic 60

Total 957

You can save some money if you buy a used roller instead and bring the complete package for less than $800

niznai 06-12-2009 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cpt.America (Post 5929823)
Aint happenin unless you go used

I agree.

There are things though you can buy second hand but you might want to think about it before you do it. A second hand car might be tempting but if it has problems you can'n fix it may turn out to be more expensive than new. Chassis tweak is one example. And so on.

To the budget worked out above you should add spares which are not factored in. Must have are suspension arms, hub carriers, caster blocks.

Plus tuning parts such as springs, shock oil, a number of pinions/spurs, bearings, tires, wheels, etc.

My suggestion is you visit your local track, see what people are racing there and get some ideas. You might find a local member willing to sell their kit and the advantage there would be the car's history is known, so you could ascertain before hand if it is likely to find some serious problems with it. If you're locky you might find a whole setup for sale including radio/baterries, etc and you're ready to go. Plus you might get some good tuning tips and a bunch of spares in the deal.

My personal preference is to buy everything new, but it's not cheap. The only things I found are worth buying second hand right now are brushed motors/esc combos which are dirt cheap as everybody is going brushless. This way you can pick some top hardware for peanuts if you know where to look. Downside is that you'll be messing around with cutting comms every so often and replacing brushes and springs every now and then. Alternatively you could run in a lower class with throw-away silvercans/sports tuned motors.

As for the car, maybe you could find an old minter sitting in the box somewhere, but it's not a huge chance. Check out ebay, you never know.

Good luck.

TomTomTuning 06-12-2009 08:32 PM

In the long run your going to spend more money then your initial purchase. So be prepared. If 800-1000 is your budget to get all your main items then great, I can see it happening. But just remember your going to spend more money on all the other stuff.

I have about 1K into my TC4 Setup and RC stuff (charger, RX/TX, box, tools etc)... And i don't even track my car. Its a parking lot top speed basher.

pakk 06-12-2009 08:46 PM

If you want to make this cheaper, dont buy all the top of the line products. You can go brushed and nihm and still be competitive.

--pakk

Hooligan_ 06-12-2009 10:52 PM

1. Car/kit - $229.99 TC4 Ready to run man... I have the Kit version of this car that I bought used. I can tell you it is a tank and part support is great. If your LHS doesn't have parts in stock they can get them. Or you can simply order them yourself from A-main hobbies or Tower hobbies. And it comes with a radio that will get you rolling. Yes you will want to upgrade the radio but you don't have to right away. Get out there, have fun, and when you technical skills grow (and you have the cash) replace it. And you can beef up the car as parts break or your budget allows. It may not be the newest and hottest car but it gets the job done... WELL. I plan on using my tc4 for a long time.

2. 17.5 Brushless (roar legal) Not sure

3. Tekin RS ESC (RS or Pro??) Not sure

4. 5200 Lipo (Recommend brand?) $109.99 You don't need a 5200 Mah Lipo. I personally Run a Reedy 5000 Mah 35c Lipo. I love it. And I only use 1 battery on race day so don't think you need multiple batteries for race day. I may burn through 1500 -2000 Mah in a 6 min heat. So you can go with a smaller Mah battery but I would get one with a 30c or higher rating. BTW thats with a 13.5 brushless system so you would most likely use less mah with a 17.5 setup.

5. Charger (what wont break my wallet?) -$134.99
Racers Edge AC/DC Pro Multi Charger W/Aluminum Case

6. Radio tx + rx. $159.99 Airtronics MX-3FG FHSS-2 2.4 GHz Radio w/3 Channel Receiver. This is what I use and I love it. It's simple to operate but has alot of bells and whistles that let you play with adjustments

7. Pinions/spurs/body/paint/rubber tires. I dunno about spurs and pinions w/ a 17.5 brushless setup man. Body and paint don't matter with a RTR. And tires.... Im using Jaco blues, 30 bucks....

For what I have listed your looking at 664.95 if you decide to buy the Airtronics Tx+Rx... leaves plenty of of dough for a ESC and motor Plus your extras. All this stuff will let you have a awesome day at the track.

But one thing that I am very happy I bought is a setup station. If you don't know what it is, it's tools you use to set camber and toe in/out on your car. Aside from my hex drivers it's the one tool I use the most out there on the track. You may have someone who is nice at the track who will let you use theirs.... but nothing beats having your own. When you blow a A-arm, hub, turn buckle, or just have one hell of a wreck that throws off your steering it's indispensable. The one I listed is what I use and comes with everything you need to make it work, unlike some others. Plus you get a handy case to keep it all together.

Don't forget what the Capt posted here... these extras are essential. I hope I helped you out!

Originally Posted by Cpt.America (Post 5929823)

Depending on where you will be racing, there are a million other little things you might want. I race at an outdoor parking lot track, and here are some other misc. things I have needed/wanted racing in that kind of environment

Pit table
easy-up shade
folding chair to sit in
tubs to pack all your gear in
extension cord/surge protector
tools (allens, pliers, files, etc)
tool box
tacklebox/spare parts bin
big hat
sun block
towel
etc.. etc.. etc..

HellTriX 06-13-2009 12:53 AM

Thanks for all the great replys.

I do realize the budget I set is just the initial starting point. But for the short term its about all I can allow myself to afford.

I thought about the RTR TC4 kit which I have seen local but my reason for not wanting to start their is the tub chassis. All my previous cars/trucks have been tubbed and I really don't like that style. First time it breaks its time buy a 35-55 chassis and rebuild the entire car and spend another day or two setting it up. I also like the cleaner look flat top/bottom style chassis so might as well start with what I plan to keep long term.

That being said we come to motors. I've done the whole brushed thing and tbh don't really want to start with where I left off 4-5 years back. So would like to stick with brushless, in part due to the increased run times. Which brings me to:

Batteries.. My reasoning for wanting a nice big 5000mah is because I plan to only start with a single battery. I'd like to get 15-25min run times on that one battery and just leave it in the car to charge. Later when I decide to spend more I can get more batteries would probably I wouldn't even need do the large capacity 5000s.

Radio gear. I wonder how my old radios would work? I have an old traxxas 27mhz for my 4-tec, and an old futuba 75mhz (15ish years old). They both work great, just not sure if the servos can keep up with today's fast cars or compatibility issues with new ESCs.

Speaking of ESCs. Using something like an tekin RS, would cover basicly all my needs for lots of lower end classes (only a guess), so rather then get a cheaper one that I may have to replace soon thereafter, might as well start in a better position.

I say all this because people are saying I should go with old stuff or cheap stuff to get into the sport. I thank you for that, but, if I can't start off with good stuff, I will get discouraged fast and may not even hold my interest in RC long enough to really get me started. This is basically my reasoning for wanting some decent starting ground. If I don't start off burning rubber I will fall asleep on the debit card. :lol:

I'm still managing to keep that card in my pocket while I gather information. You know how how money can be sitting in your pocket? Without a lipo bag it burns a whole in your pocket. Guess I'm gaining some self control in my current late 20s :nod:

Tnx dudes.

"we really need to rally some media support to fire up this sport even more ;) "