R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #16
Tech Elite

I think you better check a 5000mAh Lipo will fit in the TC4, because I haven't seen too many with dimpled bottoms at that capacity. Given the car's age, the cell slots might be too small (close together) if they're not the later larger size that can accomodate the larger sub-c high capacity cells.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just as a tip, you can't use AM radio with brushless, I found out the hard way. The AM radio can't handle brushless, I think FM can but I'm not 100% sure as I've never tested it.

With a 17.5 if your going to use it on a track that you'll need to gear between 4.0 and 3.5 FDR try and get a car with an internal ratio 2.0 or lower, older cars tend to have internal ratio's 2.0 and higher. Such as with the TC4 with an internal ratio of 2.5 chances are you'll need to specially order small enough spurs and big enough pinions to able to gear 3.8.

LRP is also a good brand of motor and esc.
When it comes to car, if your racing, try get a brand thats raced. You can get some really good deals from local racers.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:29 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellTriX View Post
I'm planning to get into 1:10 touring and need some assistance on stuff I need.
Another thought. If you'll be racing at a track with alot of other racers I'd bet if you were planning on racing with them regularly you'd find one of the better racers selling used gear. It's a great way to save money and get help with the gear at the same time. A main racers are constantly selling great stuff at great prices at our tracks.
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter79rs View Post
I think FM can but I'm not 100% sure as I've never tested it.
Most of the big names run FM and brushless Mod. Just look at pics of cars on RC news sites.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter79rs View Post
Just as a tip, you can't use AM radio with brushless, I found out the hard way. The AM radio can't handle brushless, I think FM can but I'm not 100% sure as I've never tested it.
Really? My son uses an AM radio with BL and so does 2 friends of mine. They have no problems.

--pakk
Old 06-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
I think you better check a 5000mAh Lipo will fit in the TC4, because I haven't seen too many with dimpled bottoms at that capacity. Given the car's age, the cell slots might be too small (close together) if they're not the later larger size that can accomodate the larger sub-c high capacity cells.
My Reedy 5000 Mah hard case lipo fits just fine in my tc4. Though to get it to sit just a hair lower I used a dremel with cutting drum to remove the little individual cell spacers inside of the battery tray. So now my battery sits pervectly flat instead of being 1/16" from the very bottom.

And HellTrix, I hear you bud. Buy what will make you a happy camper. I was just spit balling ideas. As far as the other gear I posted. I would recommend the Battery, charger, radio Tx/Rx that I mentioned in a heart beat (don't forget the setup station if you can swing it). Those items will leave you the dough to get a tc5r. That's a great car and I would step up to that one if I wasn't so happy with my tc4. If you were wanting to keep the cost down a hair you could go with the Regualr Tc5 and beef that one up as time goes by. Theirs nothing wrong with it at all. Both of these cars have the chassis your looking for.

As far as servos go I am using a JR Racing 650m. I've had one in my t4 and now in a tc4 and they've preformed great. I can't say a bad word about it. It's just under 50 bucks so it woln't break your bank. And when it comes to radios... I wouldn't use one of your old Tx's unless you had to. A 2.4 ghz systems is in your budget and they make life so easy when you don't have to worry about frequency interference. Not to mention the response time (of your input to you cars response) is better with today's gear vs what was manufactured just a few years ago. Or so I hear anyways.

Last edited by Hooligan_; 06-13-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Hooligan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

As far as chargers go check out the duratrax onyx 230 it will do everything you need and it is very reasonably priced. kinda difficult to figure out the setup but a good budget charger. I bought obe for my son for about 60 or 70 bucks and it does lipo