R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Associated TC5 details (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/303899-associated-tc5-details.html)

GSMike 06-11-2009 06:56 AM

Associated TC5 details

I want to make sure I am on the right "track" and make clear my understanding of the different Associated TC5 onroad electric cars. Plus, I have a few questions as well. My knowledge is that there are three different TC5 cars, the TC5, TC5R, TC5F. I understand the "R" is for rubber tires, and the "F" is for felt tires. I also understand that the differences lie primarily in the size or thickness of the top plate. So here are my questions.

Is the TC5 a "general" or "older" TC5 Model? Can I run either rubber or felt tires? Does this TC5 have any advantages over the "R" or "F" model or is it lagging behind in technology?

With the "R" and "F" model, can I run either felt or rubber tires (on the opposite cars, i.e. Felt on the "R" or rubber on the "F") or do I have to run those specific tire materials? I'm asking because if I happen to buy the "R" model, am I stuck with only rubber tires? And in turn, if I'm getting a "F" model, why would I want to run rubber tires? I was told that the felt tires wear down extremely quickly (price to pay for great traction) and I thought I could practice with rubber tires. I know the suspension setup would be different and that may nullify having the felt car but I'm trying to think of an economical way to practice. I am looking for a car I can competitively race, but also run around the neighborhood. I don't need the absolute latest cutting edge technology, but I don't want to get stuck with an older or outdated model such as the TC5 if that is the case.

Also, I know there may be some better electric options/brands out there however I am trying to stay with Associated due to support of my LHS and the readily available parts as said LHS.

Thanks for your patience, help and recommendations.

Also, what are the requirements for the different ROAR electric on road racing, i.e. motor turns, battery size, Stock, modified, etc. THANKS

Valkman 06-11-2009 10:00 AM

GSM - I'm not an expert on the ROAR details so I'll let someone else go there, but here's my input on the TC5.

You're basically correct on your initial definitions:

TC5 - original kit now approx. 2 yrs old, generic at the time for either foam or rubber tire racing.

TC5R - rubber tire version released last year some time. Rubber tire chassis generally need more flex to gain traction on asphalt or carpet surfaces. The R version features more flexible chassis bottom and top deck components commonly referred to as ITF (Increased Torsional Flex). The kit also incorporates a slipper spool in the front and a standard differential in the rear. The rear diff is upgraded to aluminum outdrives from the plastic ones found on the original TC5.

TC5F - foam tire (not felt) version released about the same time as the R. Foam tires are generally raced on carpet and require a stiffer chassis. The F version uses the same chassis and top deck as the original TC5. I believe there are two diffs included in the kit, both feature the aluminum out drives.

For further details and differences, check out the Associated website @ rc10.com.

To answer your question about switching tires, no problem. Either type of tire will fit any of the kits. Set-ups for each type of tire/racing surface including caster, camber, shocks, springs, ride height etc. are also available on the Associated site. Look for the standard foam or rubber tire set-ups.

For general racing and some parking lot fun, the original TC5 would be great. It's a little cheaper than the R of F kit and a great place to start. Once you get into more serious racing you'll want to take advantage of the differences and the original kit is easily upgraded to the F or R specs by purchasing the necessary parts.

Hope this helps, I'm sure a few more guys will provide further input.

flatspunout 06-11-2009 12:43 PM

Valkman pretty much summed it up right there, but I have to strongly recommend that you do NOT run your race car around the neighborhood...I can't tell you how many times I have seen guys show up at the track with a car that is trashed from bashing around the local mall parking lot or up and down the street. Buy a cheap RTR buggy or sedan if you want something to play with, and save the race car for where it belongs...the track.

-rocky b

GSMike 06-11-2009 03:46 PM

Both excellent pieces of advice. I appreciate the clarification.

Thanks!