Wiki Posts
Search

Corally RDX Phi 09

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MSB
Yes Brian, a smaller spur is the faster solution, but I would prefer the 78T or 81T spur like I used in the old phi. I think in the old Phi the centre pulley position was not so problematic. Bigger spurs are more efficient. Maybe if I use the option belts from Corally could slightly solve the problem.
(#79135 - Front 510mm/170t)
(#79134 - Rear 210mm/70t)
I used to think that myself and always ran in the 100 range back with 27t/nimh, but with the invention brushless and over 2:1 pinion/spur ratio isn't overall mass starting to become important since the pinion is heavier? This has probably been debated over and over on other threads and I run nitro so the old rules probably still apply like you said.

I've heard that with the new "turbo" brushless ESC's that we are now going back to 4.6-5.0:1 according to Robert at KO with their new ESC which would put you at 81 and 30-35 which the cars design should easily handle.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by or8ital
What are the benefits of the Phi 09 over the regular Phi? The lipo under the bulk-head/top plate and the much lower price are benefits but what else is there? In some ways it feels like a downgrade.

Do the carbon c-hubs and knuckles fit the original Phi?
Or8ital - The Phi 09 is definately not a downgrade. I believe this is the best car I have ever built. I didn't have to hand fit a single part on the car. The carbon c-hubs and knuckles will fit the original Phi since we are still using the same arms. I will start practicing some rubber tire next weekend and will post a setup on Corally USA's website once I find a strong base setup. I am so excited about this new car. Corally took all of the minor problems with the Phi and created new and improved race car. Watch for the Phi 09 to be in the winner's circle at races this year!
Old 07-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Hi guys just finished mounting my PHI 09 could you possibly let me know from which point you measure downstop readings, is it from the tip of both the front and rear bottom arm.

Also what are good downstop settings for a medium to low grip surface?

Tks in advance.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by XCELL
Has anybody thought of using a different suspension arm set-up on the 09 now that the chassis is set-up for that option? I have seen Marc Fischer’s 09prototype and he was testing with the Tamiya set-up, just wanted to know if anybody else has done it yet.

Patrick
I have never done what Marc did.......

But on my asphalt PHI car I run the rear arms on the front with the narrow knuckles and long dogbones. You may have heard of this before but it is a really good option.

Only downfall is modifiying the arms to work with the C-hubs on the front.

Jeff
Old 07-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I remember seeing that mod for the rear arms up front, but I never tried it because it looked very time consuming and costly if you made a mistake. I will definitely be getting my 09 when I get back from my deployment. Thanks’ for the information Jeff.

Patrick
Old 07-14-2009, 12:25 AM
Tech Regular

You can fit a complete 416 suspension on the car. All you need is Tamiya 48 mm dogbones in the rear instead of Tamiya 46 mm.
It´s a bit hassle though to get it all working correctly, especially the swaybars. I only think this mod is an advantage in the highest level om competition; the car is good standard too.

Corallys is working on new arms but I think they will not be released yet for a couple of months.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Talking of Tamiya bits - i notice on a few setup sheets people are using Tamiya shocks.

Are the kit ones not that good?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BJohnson
Or8ital - The Phi 09 is definately not a downgrade. I believe this is the best car I have ever built. I didn't have to hand fit a single part on the car. The carbon c-hubs and knuckles will fit the original Phi since we are still using the same arms. I will start practicing some rubber tire next weekend and will post a setup on Corally USA's website once I find a strong base setup. I am so excited about this new car. Corally took all of the minor problems with the Phi and created new and improved race car. Watch for the Phi 09 to be in the winner's circle at races this year!
I have no doubts its a good car. Just trying to figure out if it is better then the original (aside from the better lipo fitment and cheaper price) or just different. The only other advantage I can think of is that perhaps the more flexible c-hubs could give you a bit more steering in some conditions but that mod could be made to the original now. I guess the downgrade comment only came from the fact that it has less bling, not less performance.

So what are the benefits of the new car?
- Better Lipo fitment
- Cheaper price
- Someone said it fixed some annoying things from the original, not sure what those are??
- What else??

Just trying to learn.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by samstheman2
I got the rolling chassis together. Went together smoothly. Diff came out great. Pics to come....Sam
So where are the Pics?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BJohnson
Watch for the Phi 09 to be in the winner's circle at races this year!
congrats on your dominant usvta victory at the three rivers festival this past weekend.

http://www.summitrcraceway.com/resul...07-11-2009.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MRSj...layer_embedded

brad, were you running the new car?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
congrats on your dominant usvta victory at the three rivers festival this past weekend.
+1

Can you post your winning setup? That car was on rails!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jim Herrmann
+1

Can you post your winning setup? That car was on rails!
Damn straight!! Congrats Brad!!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by seaball

brad, were you running the new car?
How did that new 50C 7500 Lipo fit in the new car? How much weight did you have to add?
Old 07-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Regular

Hey guys just got back from my first test. The car was on rails straight out of the box. Change of direction was awesome and powering out of corners was just as impressive.

I ran on a medium grip asphalt circuit with a 150ft straight 10.5 lrp + track power 4900 lipos geared around 5.4, motor temp around can 130f

Setup
2.5 toe in rear
0.5 toe out front
3mm downstop measured from underneath arm front and rear
roll center settings as per instructions
5.5mm rear ride height 5mm front
20w oil with 17.5lbs springs all around
top shock positions second hole from outer hole front and rear

Will either drop a spring rate on the rear or incline rear shock further since my tyres tend to heat up slightly during the last 40sec and the rear steps out a bit into one particular hair pin although recovery is instant

Great car
Old 07-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default anyone?

Originally Posted by Toblerone
Talking of Tamiya bits - i notice on a few setup sheets people are using Tamiya shocks.

Are the kit ones not that good?
?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.