R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default What kind of scale should I get for on-road

I have a 1/10 on-road TC.
Question is what kinds of scales are you guys using to get the total weight of the car to meet ROAR's 1500g rule?

Names of the scales being used, links to websites that sell them and info, etc. would be real helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I got mine at Target in the kitchen section...it's just a digital food scale and I think it was under 20 bucks. I've seen similar ones at WalMart and Bed Bath & Beyond.

-rocky b

Edit: something like this: http://www.target.com/Primo-Digital-...20scale&page=1

Last edited by flatspunout; 06-09-2009 at 05:40 PM.
flatspunout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatspunout View Post
I got mine at Target in the kitchen section...it's just a digital food scale and I think it was under 20 bucks. I've seen similar ones at WalMart and Bed Bath & Beyond.

-rocky b
Oh and was the tray large enough to lay all four wheels plus the car onto it?
I bought a food scale off ebay that does grams but it was too small for all four wheels to sit on, so it didn't give me total weight. I could only lay the middle portion of the chassis onto the scale with wheels and front/rear end hanging to the sides, causing innaccuracy. I will search Target. Right on for the fast reply.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt415gz View Post
I bought a food scale off ebay that does grams but it was too small for all four wheels to sit on, so it didn't give me total weight. I could only lay the middle portion of the chassis onto the scale with wheels and front/rear end hanging to the sides, causing innaccuracy. I will search Target. Right on for the fast reply.
No... I think you are a little confused at how a scale works...

The wheels hanging off the sides of the scale will not matter at all as long as the wheels are not touching anything. If the wheels, suspension, or body are touching anything other than the scale base, it will reduce the weight the scale reads, otherwise it is seeing 100% of the weight.

For thought... When you use on a scale to measure your body weight, do you put you hands, feet, and butt on the scale base or just your feet?

Ding, ding, ding - hopefully you said your feet.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You can't just put the chassis on it and let the wheels hang off? it's the same thing...

edit: what that guy said ^^^
Old 06-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
Regional Moderator

Quote:
I have a 1/10 on-road TC.
Question is what kinds of scales are you guys using to get the total weight of the car to meet ROAR's 1500g rule?

Names of the scales being used, links to websites that sell them and info, etc. would be real helpful.

Thanks in advance!
http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...s_10051_SEARCH
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
No... I think you are a little confused at how a scale works...

The wheels hanging off the sides of the scale will not matter at all as long as the wheels are not touching anything. If the wheels, suspension, or body are touching anything other than the scale base, it will reduce the weight the scale reads, otherwise it is seeing 100% of the weight.

For thought... When you use on a scale to measure your body weight, do you put you hands, feet, and butt on the scale base or just your feet?

Ding, ding, ding - hopefully you said your feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
You can't just put the chassis on it and let the wheels hang off? it's the same thing...

edit: what that guy said ^^^
Yeah, see that's what I always thought was correct also. The only reason why I started thinking that all four wheels should be on the scale too, is because when the scale gave me two different readings...1) with the center of chassis on the scale reading about 1250g and then 2) with rear half (still between front and rear wheels :P) on the scale giving me a higher reading of about 1380g (motor and rear probably being the heaviest part of the car, overall). So if not having our arms and head etc. on the scale being required, why am I getting two different readings weighing in my car without the wheels making contact on the scale then?

ahah and yep I thought FEET

BTW this is the scale I received today: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=390056194432
Note: since this scale is only 0.5" thin. I had to place the scale onto my car stand first before setting the car onto it for wheel clearance.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Sure, just make sure you take the wheels off and put them on top of the car!

Really. The reason your scale gave you different values (assuming the car was not resting on something else with one wheel or two) is that the scale is so crappy, it tilts the platform and this rubs on the internal mechanism of the scale therefore partially unloading. You can experiment and try to see what is the maximum value you get for your car's weight at various positions on the scale. That is the real weight of your car (or as close to it as possible with the scale you use). My guess is you will find this value when the center of gravity of your car is lined up with the center of the scale plate (and of course no part of the car is touching anything else).

But you should get a decent scale and you'll see it doesn't matter where you put the car or how (you can put it on the side if you please) and still get the same value. There's plenty of choice for decent scales.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Sure, just make sure you take the wheels off and put them on top of the car!

Really. The reason your scale gave you different values (assuming the car was not resting on something else with one wheel or two) is that the scale is so crappy, it tilts the platform and this rubs on the internal mechanism of the scale therefore partially unloading. You can experiment and try to see what is the maximum value you get for your car's weight at various positions on the scale. That is the real weight of your car (or as close to it as possible with the scale you use). My guess is you will find this value when the center of gravity of your car is lined up with the center of the scale plate (and of course no part of the car is touching anything else).

But you should get a decent scale and you'll see it doesn't matter where you put the car or how (you can put it on the side if you please) and still get the same value. There's plenty of choice for decent scales.
Your logic makes sense.
This is AWS (Amerecan Weigh Scales) brand scale with a certificate, pre-calibrated, 10-year warranty included. I think it is a good quality scale so far, but I will continue testing it with different objects. If I can correct this issue, I would recommend this scale to any RC user. Good quality, inexpensive and very good size for portability.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah, see that's what I always thought was correct also. The only reason why I started thinking that all four wheels should be on the scale too, is because when the scale gave me two different readings...1) with the center of chassis on the scale reading about 1250g and then 2) with rear half (still between front and rear wheels :P) on the scale giving me a higher reading of about 1380g (motor and rear probably being the heaviest part of the car, overall). So if not having our arms and head etc. on the scale being required, why am I getting two different readings weighing in my car without the wheels making contact on the scale then?

ahah and yep I thought FEET

BTW this is the scale I received today: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=390056194432
Note: since this scale is only 0.5" thin. I had to place the scale onto my car stand first before setting the car onto it for wheel clearance.
Here's my theory: you're creating what's known as a moment of force. A force will increase at a point proportional to the distance the force is applied from that point. Consider the case of holding a heavy object close to your body as opposed to holding it with your arm extended away from your body. The weight of the chassis placed further from the scale base will cause a greater stress on the sensor; therefore giving you larger readings. I'd suggest centering the chassis the best you can on the base, or investing in a larger scale.
theghostmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:30 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Here is the one I use and it is pretty damn good: http://www.americanweigh.com/product...roducts_id=346
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
Here is the one I use and it is pretty damn good: http://www.americanweigh.com/product...roducts_id=346
That's the same one I posted about 6 posts up. We used that scale at the Carpet Nats for post race tech.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
That's the same one I posted about 6 posts up. We used that scale at the Carpet Nats for post race tech.
That is what I get for not even to bother clicking on the link.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Yeah I figured American Weigh makes good brands and that scale in grey does look promising. However, I already bought a AWS brand scale for about $31, so I plan on keeping it and making it work . I did a pressure test of the base using my cell phone to test it's accuracy.

Basically I received a reading of 154g-155g at these locations with cell phone laying flat on its back in a vertical orientation:

Dead center
Left at edge
Right at edge
Top at edge
Bottom of edge
Top/Center
Bottom/Center
Left/Center
Right/Center
Left-Top/Center diagonal
Right-Top/Center diagonal
Left-Bottom/Center diagonal
Right-Bottom/Center diagonal
and with 40% of cell phone laying off the edge in mid-air at all four sides and giving me the same reading!

So what does this tell ya'll about how inaccurate my scale is?
FYI, it is a 11lb. scale, 5000g max.

At the same time, of course, I appreciate everyones theories and comments on the matter

P.s. I still need to test it out more with the car now