R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Electric 4-tec, lol (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/302950-electric-4-tec-lol.html)

HellTriX 06-07-2009 01:27 PM

Electric 4-tec, lol

I'm laughing to beat you all too it :lol:

First I haven't touched an RC car for about 4-5 years. When I got the new T-Maxx 2.5 that was released. Before then I had a few other cars dating back 13-14 years. At some point before I got my T-Maxx nitro truck I had an electric 4-tec. I loved that car but I didn't have many places to drive it. You know way back then we didn't pave roads (just kidding just had some crap places to drive then).

Ok history out of the way. I got my first RC plane a few weeks ago, flew it for a week, and then wanted more so I did an aileron mod and brushless conversion.
Then I got stung. The RC bug stung me so now I want to get my RC cars back in action for when the wind is too crazy or when I'm too lazy to drive to the park to fly.

So my question is, Its it worth it for me to fix up my 4-tec? At this point I only need some shock towers. I did some fiberglass+epoxy work to the steering servo and I have a really old XL-1 speed controller with a 16 turn ruby motor and some 1700mAh Ni-cads that I just put in my trax rustler and they where still in working condition. If its worth it to upgrade this car I would probably do a brushless setup. This brings up a parts issue. I haven't looked around too much to find any replacement parts for diffs/suspension, etc. I don't even know how many parts would fit from the newer nitro 4-tec.
Before you tell me to just forget about it and buy a new car, I will say that after dropping $500-600 in RC aircraft stuff I can't (dont want to) afford a new $300-400 car. Btw, I would still have the added cost of newer battery and charger technology which is one reason I'd like to just upgrade the 4-tec to keep costs down.

I don't plan to enter pro races or anything but I don't want to be the guy on the open track nights that is so slow people have to dodge me. And something for toying around my nice paved area I now live in.

So what do you guys thing of my classic (antique) 4-tec :lol:

As a last resort I would have some fun building my own car from a cheaper kit (1:10 scale) and add my own radio gear and buy a brushless set for it.

Tnx fellas (my first post here, be gentle :eek: )

EVILGRAFX 06-07-2009 01:40 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol:

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you!

All joking aside, if you're not looking to race, if you can find the parts, and that's what you enjoy. Then do it.

I don't know if they still make the parts you may need but, I'm sure there are quite a bit out there somewhere. You just have to find them.

Have fun with you old car.

Hyde 06-07-2009 11:38 PM

That car is super old! Its heavy and weak! To mess around ok. To do anything else buy a newer car. Or better yet get a tc3 :)

HellTriX 06-08-2009 02:29 AM

TC4 RTR only $189 that sounds cheap?

BTW after much reading. This racing thing does seem to perk my interests. What kind of cars are guys running in the 1:10 stock 17.5 and super stock brushless classes?

I am finding much difficulty locating nice online sites to view road cars. Maybe partly due to me being a newb and not being able to identify a cheap car from a nice car. Anyone noticed all the extra crap rc stuff is available? Sorry maybe not crap but just lots of stuff that doesn't interest me for instance :P

tnx